The game crashed on 13th Oct 2016

Game news and other announcements by site administrators and wizards.

Moderator: Wizards

sowilo

The game crashed on 13th Oct 2016

Post by sowilo »

On early morning(?) Oct 13th 2016 the game server machine had a hardware related issue and went down. The server host's crew fixed the problem, but there wasn't anyone from the Icesus staff around to boot the server up, until 01:58 local time Oct 14th when a retired project manager worked some resurrection magic on it.

The game is now up and running, and it will reboot normally at 07:00 local time Oct 14th, having stayed up for around 5 hours since the last reboot (which started the moment the server got back up, thus booting at 02:13). This will hopefully mean that the game will breathe on its own from now on.

BUT

Crashes tend to break things. Progress can and will be lost. Probably everything that happened in the boot where the crash occured is now gone. Furthermore, it seems like some objects did not recover on their own. I'm seeing that at least merchant booths and wilder shrines are gone. I myself don't know how to bring them back, Fimvar might, as he handles reimburses and this might be a related issue. I suppose that we'll monitor the overall situation, but anything else that is gone or broken might go unnoticed by us, so in case of obviously missing/broken functionalities I would ask you to notify us about them.

(I don't know what they did with the server machine, as in, what was the piece of hardware that broke. If it was a hard disc related issue, then who knows what might still happen if they had to install an OS on a new one etc.)