Tips for newbies

Discussion board for new players.

Moderator: Moderators

essencia

Tips for newbies

Post by essencia »

Hello, pplz... I started this thread so anyone who has good tips or hints for newbies can post them here.

Stuff like... what's a good affordable weapon for newbies and armour? I'm currently in bronze, but I doubt that's going to cut the cake.

HINTS HINTS HINTS CLUES!
dunn

Post by dunn »

I found that as a newbie, the smithy can take care of most of your ordering needs, provided you have looted enough to make the purchase! Though you may need to visit Graemor now to order your weapons/armour.

A good start is a fine steel/superb ordered weapon.

Armour is more tricky. There are lots of possible combinations, which may not have the most desirable result. Your best bet is to jump on the cheaper materials, such as cuir-boulli instead of leather, and depending on your needs order it with a foundation type. (Adding fine steel at this point is not too expensive.)

I spent quite a while in fine steel bezainted cuir-boulli, if I remember right.

But try to keep the cost down, at least to cover all important hit slots, before you try to improve on it.

Important hit slots to consider are head, neck, torso, legs, arms.

Remember that amulet, boots, belt are not hit slots so you can wear whatever you want there.

"shelp" at the smithy is your friend.. so is help armour types, materials, adjectives.

After all that is set, you want to consider how you fight. If you're a big race and can wield that greatsword in one hand, you might want to wield it in two hands, for extra effect. (help wield) And then maybe add a few more members to your party and adventure! Newbie parties are a great way to gain experience and learn to play for everyone involved.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

newbie equipment 101

Post by solar »

You do understand that we cannot share that much information, especially on public forums, since there is a 'help sharing information' helpfile that guarantees that game-fun spoilers are kept to minimum. Sharing information that is of common knowledge is acceptable, so here it goes:

Yes, the smiths at Graemor... very helpful now that the evil artisans are in the game.

Ordering a fine steel studded chitinium silk cap is very cheap compared to the protection it gives and it is also light armour - won't lower your offensive abilities as much as medium or heavy armours do. If you want to order one, you need to defeat the syntax monster first... :(

Leather armour of might is mostly sold for 100k or less, it is a good newbie torso armour but it's as thin as paper, so don't expect it to protect you from harm.

It's a good idea as a newbie to get yourself +stat light armours, since they are also cheap to resize to future reincarnations. Chitinium silk offers the best protection that can be ordered from the Smiths. The second best should be demonhide, it is considerably cheaper than chitisilk.

As for weapons... hmm, trying to remember the usable ones that are also cheap... As in 100k or under. IMHO, you're better off buying some cheap magical weapon than ordering a superb Q item from the smiths. Higher quality skyrockets the price when ordered from the NPC smiths.

Avian blade, if you're into slashing swords. It is a broadsword, so even the tinier races should be able to wield it. I've also been told that the (bronze) bloodstained claymore kicks arse. A fine steel greatsword or a fine steel two-handed sword are great newbie weapons for the larger races.

As for piercing swords, poison-coated rapier is a good newbie weapon, but I can't name a decent newbie dagger under 100k.

Runed steel spear is a good spear-class weapon for a newbie.

Shrieker battleaxe, shouldn't be a bad one. Also Woodman's axe is worth a try, it is a head axe.

Not many newbie mauls in the game (afaik), only that Frosty steel maul comes to my mind... and it's not that good.

There are merchant booths set up by players inside Vaerlon. They sometimes have decent stuff sold in them for cheap, some of them come up with even information that has the identified stats of the item in detail. You might want to check them out to find the best possible goods with your funds.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
toronar

Post by toronar »

I have noticed the fine steel bezainted cuir-boulli armor is almost as good as chitinium silk. Fine steel studded chitinium silk might worth the price, but for example vest can be plain chitinium silk only.
What is a good choise, bezainted/studded cuirass (torso+arms), or should make chitinium silk vest and use some nice bracelets?
osma

Post by osma »

I go with chitinum silk vest and used to use (before i found magical ones i wanted) chitinium silk bracers. Chitinium silk is good even without studding, so a vest of such is quite reasonable, and still expensive as hell to buy from smith.

(with chitinium silk main slots, and good light armor skill, adaquite armor with regen vest (leather) and considerable with chitinium silk vest)
toronar

Post by toronar »

I understand this, but the armor category of fine steel bezainted cuir-boulli is unsatisfactory, while chitinium silk is basic. One more armor class for 1.5 million golds is too expensive for me, i would go for studded chitinium or bezainted cuir-boulli (vest cant be studded or bezainted), but if there are "easy" to get, very good quality magical bracers then still might worth to get vest, instead of cuirass (because magical bonuses).
moraq

Post by moraq »

toronar wrote:... but if there are "easy" to get, very good quality magical bracers...
Imo a cuirass would be good to begin with. The only set of bracers I recall being made of chitinium silk with a quality and a magical bonus cost about 3M. :)