Make money slightly faster(not a spam post(or is it?))

Discussion board for new players.

Moderator: Moderators

etadan

Make money slightly faster(not a spam post(or is it?))

Post by etadan »

Decided to share this, to kill some time.

Every once in a while, i see messages saying that making money is difficult. Usualy at that time people suggest making trashruns, and usualy the whine stop.. for a while at least.

The thing that at least newbies forget/don't know, is that shopkeepers drop buying prices if you sell lots of items in relatively short period of time. What that time is, i do not know.

However, here comes the trick why i posted this.

Items, at least some, have fixed values. At very least same item, with exaption of guild items have same value always. If you value a wooden torch over and over again, it will always be 15 silver, when reputation is not affecting prices UNLESS shopkeeper dropped buying prices.

If you check 'value torch' during your trashruns, you'll probably notice this. And after a short while you'll notice that proces drop 50% making your trashruns the very same 50% less effective.

So if you want to make more money, on your trashruns you need to check prices before selling it all.

Personally i use Sleeping bag made of soft fur named "sleeping" and alias shop value "sleeping". sleeping bag has a fixed value of 2000 silver and all shopkeepers are nice enough to say stuff like "I don't buy general stuff, but a shop that does would probably give you 1969 silver coins for the "sleeping"." notice, how price isn't 2k? This is for having neutral vaerlon rep, and using value a shops that use vaerlon reputation.

You won't loose much for having neutral rep, but when the prices hit the bottom, this sleeping bag whill only be worth 1k, not so nice anymore, is it? And notice that it uses price dropping margin(or stuff) from the shop you value in, the general shoppe will probly still pay 2k, since it's rarely popular enough to drop prices.

Oh, and when prices do drop, either wait or change shop. That's it, have a nice life. I'll go play dice with myself to check if i'll get banned for info sharing.
Have fun

P.S. now that i think of it, maybe it was spam...

edit: what do you mean "would make"?
Last edited by etadan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 20:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beyond good..
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

A B C of hauling trash.

You'd make a great bum in real life!
daerin

Post by daerin »

notice, how price isn't 2k? This is for having neutral vaerlon rep, and using value a shops that use vaerlon reputation.
a little correction - imho it is lower than expected 2000 silver because you ve got low merchant reputation, it would happen if you ever sold even one self made item, like earring
allanon

Post by allanon »

Some more clarification:
Prices don't always drop just by selling loads and loads of junk (high quantity). You can also (usually) cause a price reduction by selling multiples of the same magic equipment (high quality). So if the average price for Magic Item X is around 18k, and you sell 10 of them, you will probably see the price start decreasing from 18k to perhaps as low as 16k. This means it's most effective to sell trash magic items as you get them, instead of piling them up for a mass sales of 50 at once to the shops. (unless you are selling to other players, in which case this is irrelevant anyways).

Also: It might be better to check current price reductions by valuing something rarer than the sleeping bag made of soft fur. Those are quite popular for selling, so it might give a price reduction when there really isn't one. Personally, I use the average value of my adamantium dagger to check prices (~30k without rep), since things like that are never sold to shops, but of course newbies probably don't have something like that.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
etadan

Post by etadan »

daerin point taken, forgot what it was caused by.

allanon to my knowledge prices don't drop for a single piece of eq, after selling lots of it. ie, if you sell lots of same heavy armour valuded something like 9.5k from stalker's forest, the price drop will be same % for all items, not just those armours.
and, pricedrops are caused not by selling vast quantaty of items but instead after reaching some total value for all items merchant bougth in unknown period of time.
like if you sell 50k worth of random junk is same as selling one 50k worth item.
btw, sleeping bags are nice for value checking because 1) they have a 'round' price, didn't manage to find 1k valued eqs for this 2) you usualy cary it with you
allanon

Post by allanon »

I was thinking more like specific pieces of magical eq that are almost exactly the same. Like the poison rapier from rat warehouse. If you have a bunch of those, the price does drop when selling more than a few. (I have observed it, at least.)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.