Fishing with eye

Discussion board for new players.

Moderator: Moderators

kade

Fishing with eye

Post by kade »

If a Beholder has the power to move objects, wound things, put them to sleep, et cetera, shouldn't they be able to pull a fish out of water?
tilamond

Re: Fishing with eye

Post by tilamond »

kade wrote:If a Beholder has the power to move objects, wound things, put them to sleep, et cetera, shouldn't they be able to pull a fish out of water?
hmm, good idea, they can hunt with their eyes, so why not fishing too :D
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Re: Fishing with eye

Post by artic »

tilamond wrote: hmm, good idea, they can hunt with their eyes, so why not fishing too :D
Hmm let me think...
Well i look in a river or a pond and what do I see, well isnt that strange, its a reflecion of me!! I wonder if i fire my disinigrating beam at this reflection, who will get hurt? Maybe the fish below? Or maybe ill make water boil? Hmmm... Fish soup, yummy...

Or maybe the water will reflect my beam from my eye and ill end up hurting myself. And using telekinesis is also tricky, because it kinda hard to catch a fish with hands (even with quite nimble hands) and youd need a lot of dextirity with that eye too.
kade

Post by kade »

I was under the impression that telekinesis meant you didn't have to physically touch anything, and that the word actually meant 'distance movement' roughly. Of course, if my eye needs to be 'nimble' or 'dexterous', then perhaps it isn't really a TK eye at all. Also, there wouldn't be any point in harming the fish when it is in the water, only in getting it out of the water. Even with slight waves there wouldn't be a direct reflection, and besides, I hardly doubt light bouncing off the surface of calm water has any bearing on whether mental powers would reflect back at you. Any comments, Artic?
apex

Post by apex »

One theory on telekinesis is that when using it, one is actually communicating with the objects it is moving, "asking" them to move, and persuading them to do so. In this case, inanimate objects would be much easier to move then living, breathing, cute little fishies.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Ok, so the rays from your eye migh not reflect back at you with teleknetics, but wouldnt it be way too easy to use the eye to just lift a cubic of water out of the river, with the fish still swimmig inside it? When you hunt you use your disinegrating eye- it burns to dust whatever it hits. When you fish that ray of disinegration would hit water before it would hit the fish, so it would prolly boil water, and the fish would just swim away. And even if you hit the fish and hurt it, wont it swim away, or if it dies, wont the current carry it away?

And once the evileyes start fishing with their mental power, I would like to fish with some bomb-vials :twisted:
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

Several thoughts on this:

Telelinesis isn't an absolute. Similar to vision, some people see better than others, and just because something IS there, doesn't necessarily mean that you see it.

There would also then have to be some degree of skill involved. Picking up a shotgun, and shooting it at close range you'll hit most anything. Pickup a rifle, and try and hit something at a thousand yards, with small margin of error.

Unless you were GOOD with your telekinesis, you'd most likely pull out a puddle of water, wich may, or may not contain a fish. You may or may not get the fish to "land", and you'd be just as likely to end up all wet, as catch a fish. A similar thing would be that it would be easier and take less control to rip off someones shirt, rather than just undo a button.

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Ok spearfishing! Whats the race that can combine their hands into a single claw? Well they would like to fish with that claw like spear-fishing.

Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against evileyes fishing with their eyy... if its done right. Fishing skill % must influence the chanche of success, It must take just as long as fifhing does for normal people.
And once your start recoding the fishing, keep in mind also all the other races and their special abilities that could also be used for it.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

artic wrote:Whats the race that can combine their hands into a single claw?
Cancun: http://www.icesus.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=256
chaosis

Post by chaosis »

tanstai wrote: There would also then have to be some degree of skill involved. Picking up a shotgun, and shooting it at close range you'll hit most anything. Pickup a rifle, and try and hit something at a thousand yards, with small margin of error.
Tanstai
Umm... Not to brag or anything, but I have hit something at a thousand yards. Mind, there was no wind, it was on a level 'field' and the recoil was enough that I only fired once.(I had a bruise for about 2 weeks)

Getting back to the topic of the discussion, why couldnt a psionic be selective in what they picked up? They are at least margianally selective in selecting their targets, otherwise their powers would only be good if you wanted to flatten the surrouding countryside...
If I had a pound of cheese, I'd have 16 oz. of proccessed dairy.