Unoficial fishing HOWTO by Etadan

Discussion board for new players.

Moderator: Moderators

maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

This is a game, only a game...calculating buyoancy for a b'rogh is extreme, either they'll fit or they won't 8)
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

You're right, got carried away, trying to imagine b'roghs.
Beyond good..
acerindra

Rafts

Post by acerindra »

I have a question that may seem silly, but I'm a newb so humor me.. Why does a being that's 5 meters tall need a raft in the first place? Rafts are no good for sea/ocean travel and they could just walk in the rivers and be maybe knee deep. Explain that to me please?
Acerindra
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

Erm...
So fish couldn't see your feet(and eat you)? And it is quite possible that some lakes are much deeper than 5 meters and the water can be very cold.
You got a point there though.
Beyond good..
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

Also you could get sand in your trousers.
torvus

Raft

Post by torvus »

Well I guess if you want to have a 10 log raft we could make the first all terrian version! Then we could drag it with mounts :).
daelric

Post by daelric »

Ever heard of shipyards?

If the raft is too large to be moved on land, why this raft could'nt be built on shore of some lake. It would be a lot easier to drag (or carry, in case of b'roghs) seperate logs than a whole raft. No beasts of burden needed.

I think its quite possible for b'rogh to use a raft, since even though they are large, I don't think five meter tall but slim giant would weight that much. Considering that a raft could carry a car quite easily. No dancing on the raft for b'roghs though... :)

Would this raft be only usable by b'roghs then, or is it just easier for them to manuver it? What about even smaller races, such as brownies or even mold men?
etadan

Post by etadan »

daelric wrote:If the raft is too large to be moved on land, why this raft could'nt be built on shore of some lake. It would be a lot easier to drag (or carry, in case of b'roghs) seperate logs than a whole raft. No beasts of burden needed.
Imo rafts shouldn't be dragged on a dry land anyway,not even as seperate logs. It should be something like, you come to a shore, you build a raft from from materials found nearby, you cross the river/lake/etc go away leaving the raft on the shore.
Problem is, we don't have shipbuilder guild or anything like that, and the only npc that does build canoes and boats, charges some money, which is enough for poor me to want to be able to store the costy thingy somewhere so it won't disappear at boot. (*Etadan gathers his thoughts*) So unless we'd get a skill to build rafts, i'd like them to be draggable so i wouldn't have to pay every time i need one.
(Don't realy remember why i made comment about not being able to drag rafts, bad memory)

daelric wrote:I think its quite possible for b'rogh to use a raft, since even though they are large, I don't think five meter tall but slim giant would weight that much. Considering that a raft could carry a car quite easily. No dancing on the raft for b'roghs though... :)
Out of curiosity, any details on that raft?
daelric wrote:Would this raft be only usable by b'roghs then, or is it just easier for them to manuver it? What about even smaller races, such as brownies or even mold men?
Proboly not. Mold men will just float around on theire own, custom made solitary island.

---------------------
Originally raft whine started from b'roghs not being able to use boats, can someone check if that's still true(also mail me a desc of the boat while you're at it)?
And Acerindra made a good point about b'roghs don't realy needing boats.
Another request, if anyone owns a canoe, could they check it's weight(inventory weight)?
Realy delayd remark to Maruxus: Well i do like to think that wizards base theire decisions on something instead of just flipping a coin like i do(actually i'd prefer if they have found an entrance to a 'real fantasy world' and just copy bits of it here, but..)

P.S. Wrote during sever lack of coffee
Beyond good..
kanje

Post by kanje »

This is probably one of the best guides I seen so far about, in any forum or page. Credit given where credit deserved, made me laugh.