Name that guild contest!

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

Hiperborean or Giperborean or smth like this, not sure how to spell this word :p
aeshna
Supporting Member 2008

Post by aeshna »

hors wrote:Hiperborean or Giperborean or smth like this, not sure how to spell this word :p
Hyperborean is cool-sounding but rather trite as the Barbarian (Conan, of course), was from the Hyperborean people.

I vastly prefer it to 'Wilders', though, which never fails to remind me of The Little House on the Prairie. The Wilders being then the happy couple, Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder.
breg
Supporting Member 2008

Post by breg »

...and the lucky winner is? :wink:
dunn

Post by dunn »

aeshna wrote: I vastly prefer it to 'Wilders', though, which never fails to remind me of The Little House on the Prairie. The Wilders being then the happy couple, Almanzo and Laura Ingalls Wilder.
:D

I agree, I think also part of the problem is that you cannot fit Wilders into any sort of concise grammatical sentence. If someone would call themselves by a name, they wouldn't jump to an adverb form. But something like, Wild-man. (As opposed to Wilder.) My first thought was, wilder than who? It's stuck with me too.
ity

Post by ity »

well, when I think of wilder, I think of wild mage(aka untrained, raw talent mage), cause of all the fantasy books Ive seen them named wilders :D
solar
Supporting Member 2020

I told you so.

Post by solar »

ity wrote:well, when I think of wilder, I think of wild mage(aka untrained, raw talent mage), cause of all the fantasy books Ive seen them named wilders :D
Yep. :/
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

well,maybe in most fantasy they are but icesus basic idea was to be unique 8)
iluth

Post by iluth »

Being original is fine, but as an english speaker "Wilders" doesn't make much sense to me either. Maybe it's just a temporary name though?
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

iluth wrote:Being original is fine, but as an english speaker "Wilders" doesn't make much sense to me either. Maybe it's just a temporary name though?
I'm a native English speaker and "Wilders" sounds just fine to me.
draug

Post by draug »

Dunn has some valid points. Wilder seems to be some sort of semi-word derived from the word (Wild)men/(Wilder)ness? And I find it somewhat not coherent with the other guild names. Going for a unique name is "ok" but then would try something that doesn't have the english sound to it example: Nemonia, Kuthtana. But I guess, for me the usual name barbarian sounds fine too.

...and there alot guilds with the word "of" in it already. Blah. I'm tired.

---

long:

Army of Vaerlon, Bards of Aegic, Conclave of Sorcerers Congregation of druids, Coven of the Derelict, Gaesati shapeshifters, Infecti Tyros, Initiates of Air, Initiates of Shadowdancers, Initiates of Temperance, Mages of Valkor, Master Artisans, Priests of Earth, Ranger Candidates of the Elements, Templar Initiates

short:

air_priest, army, mage, ranger, templar, shadowdancer, monk, shapeshifter, psionicist, sorcerer, earth_priest, coven, master_artisan and ... wilder?
suron

Post by suron »

kraven wrote:well,maybe in most fantasy they are but icesus basic idea was to be unique 8)
Yes, hence the name wilder is a crappy name.

Why not change the guild name to bulldogs or wardogs, they are also unique enough names for icesus? Although commonly used for dogs, but if we would use them for other purposes in icesus. Would it be a good thing? Would it be unique?

I think also, as kraven pointed out, that icesus should be unique, so the guild name should also be considered unique for the world of icesus. I admit that we do have mages and rangers etc, but those names are common enough that none of you don't know who they are and what they do.

What the name wilder brings into my mind is a dabbler of something (ie. magic) they do not fully comprehend but still do so, they are without guidance in the field of raw talent they possess and their natural talent pulls them into experimenting it without proper tutelage. They are wilders.

While someone might think that this also describes the woolywoodmenbarbwannabeguildsmenwithouttaguild, they are also right, it can also be used to describe them. But the name is still misleading and false.

- Suron -
solar
Supporting Member 2020

No truer words said ever

Post by solar »

suron wrote:
kraven wrote:well,maybe in most fantasy they are but icesus basic idea was to be unique 8)
Yes, hence the name wilder is a crappy name.

Why not change the guild name to bulldogs or wardogs, they are also unique enough names for icesus? Although commonly used for dogs, but if we would use them for other purposes in icesus. Would it be a good thing? Would it be unique?

I think also, as kraven pointed out, that icesus should be unique, so the guild name should also be considered unique for the world of icesus. I admit that we do have mages and rangers etc, but those names are common enough that none of you don't know who they are and what they do.

What the name wilder brings into my mind is a dabbler of something (ie. magic) they do not fully comprehend but still do so, they are without guidance in the field of raw talent they possess and their natural talent pulls them into experimenting it without proper tutelage. They are wilders.

While someone might think that this also describes the woolywoodmenbarbwannabeguildsmenwithouttaguild, they are also right, it can also be used to describe them. But the name is still misleading and false.

- Suron -
=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>
=D> Amen... =D>
=D>=D>=D>=D>=D>
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
arkady
Supporting Member 2007

Post by arkady »

If I could lock this topic I would is your name misrobo it's his guild to name.
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

I fully fail to see the alleged incompatibility of the guild name in regard to other guilds and the storyline of Icesus. Quite the contrary.
Stalker