Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

where do all these numbers come from?
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

artic wrote:where do all these numbers come from?
adjective numbers.

Centaur issue:

Centaur blows, even though it has pretty nice regens, it has very slow heartbeat. (which means it ticks slow), it might be decent for newbie race yes (doesen't really matter that much what race you are as a newbie, wise newbies spend their level exp on levels instead of training stats.). But in late game it lacks everything that real ranger needs. Mental stats, included with poor dexterity.

Not to mention the mounting problem.

Size and high epr are this race's only good benefits.
iluth

Post by iluth »

Actually centaur SEEMS like it could be a good melee ranger race. Those poopy weapon penalties were removed so they're as good with any weapon as any other race pretty much.

17 str, 14 dex, 17 con (and fairly cheap to train all three, 4-5 each) gives it 48 total there. Dark elf has 44, Elf only 41 total in those 3.

Centaur hpr + epr is 16+24=40. Elf has 38, dark elf (eww!) has only 22 total.

But I think what we're missing here is the mount problem. Centaurs can't ride mounts of any type or size, so soloing the outworld is pretty much out of the picture for them. Except for that Achilles' heel, they'd actually be pretty good melee rangers.
Centaurs sound nice on paper but i think they would make mediocre offie rangers in practice. The weapon penalties being removed doesn't really push them into "great" territory as a race for rangers. It does however give centaurs more options about what weapon to choose which is more important than the restored +10 to swords or whatever.

Also you mentioned the poopy dark elf regens, regenning is a big concern for a party player, but you gotta fill your role as a damage maker properly and worry about regenning afterwards using blessings, epr fire, eq etc. many ways to improve regens.

If you cant make damage you can't solo effectively, and you know how rangers have problems getting into parties. Basically if you create a character which performs spectacularly in parties then you probably wont solo quite so well, and vice versa.

I reckon the best idea is to think about how to make your character hit as hard and _fast_ as possible, and then put lots of df into epregen and exp into restoring warmth, if your party has no mage then this is fine since you can enchant the fire with no problems.
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

nothing here too
Last edited by hors on Thu Dec 21, 2006 22:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iluth

Post by iluth »

hors wrote:I believe regen rates are more important for newbie player than stats due to:
Yeah you are probably right, though i was addressing melisande directly since she's thinking about a reinc.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

hors wrote: 5. and in the end.. if you work hard enough you CAN train stats up to the limits, all of them.. but one CAN'T train regen rates
wrong.

You can never train all of your stats max to unless you gimp your character totally.

Levels = power

Levels = new skills/stats/statmaxes and more combat points.

In the beginning levels also mean more regens. (levelbonuses)

by maximizing your reinc/backrounds, by getting a full set of cheap +1epr or so items for a swap set, you can easily negate the lacking regens.
a set of 10-15 epr with +1 epr items costs ~max 150k-300k.

Good regens are ofcourse good to start with, but are not necessary. Rather find some race with fast heartbeat, good stats and regens. This category pretty much includes the races i mentioned earlier.

Centaur is decent to begin with. But in late-game it sucks.

Parties are generally best/easiest way to make exp and such if you know how to lead.
LEARN TO LEAD EXP PARTIES!

that is my honest advice to you.

If you bother to learn few areas, few money mobs and such you can easily gather a group almost any time. (what i've noticed, too many players in this game are just lazy, or just don't ever bother doing anything else than to be dragged for exp.)

IF you put even little effort to what you are doing, instead of just daydreaming all the time. You notice my point. Best reinc is an balanced reinc.[/b]
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

yoz wrote: IF you put even little effort to what you are doing, instead of just daydreaming all the time. You notice my point.
me? :wink:
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

naa, just generalizing
osma

Post by osma »

Edit paragraphs in the Equipment secition, dealing with the idea of wielding shields at lower Ranger levels. If you are a player who have experence with shield wielding, especialy if you have played Ranger, please review and post comments.
cayldric

Post by cayldric »

I need to add that the Shadowperson seems to have a low max Wis characteristic. I took the following background:

Birth: city, artisan
Childhood: drifting, trekking, nature
Youth: scout, entertainer, acrobat, craftsman, carrier.

Not a lot of +max Wis. in there, and I have nearly maxed out Wis at lvl 21.

[edit]Need to clarify this is just from +wis bonuses from leveling and taking advance points[/edit]

Also, I do seem to have difficulty in finding parties at medium/high newbie levels :cry:
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

the stat maxes raise as you get more levels, so if you wait a bit, and get a level or two, you should be able to raise it a bit more, along with whatever else you have maxed.