ranger's bladesinging drain

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

hors
Supporting Member 2009

ranger's bladesinging drain

Post by hors »

afaik bladesinging sp costs are now fixed, so it drains the same % of sp no matter what your spmax is. for me it looks rather strange. in fact it leads to the situation when the more spmax you get with levels and so on, the worse situation becomes. spmax raises faster than spreg usually, and many ranger races have low spreg usually (all except elf and dark elf it seems). so it takes longer to reg your sp.
besides that, even low level dark elf if he/she uses bladesinging are out of it fast, not to mention they have no sp left for casting spells even occasionaly. then why do rangers have these spells if using them is so complicated?

there was probably some reason for this tune, but it does not look very well thought-out.

would appreciate any comments on this
lipides
Supporting Member 2011

Post by lipides »

Imho the tune for sp "fixture" came when some unnamed chitines singed 4 blades at the same time with barely loosing any sp in progress... If i remember it correctly.
But still yea,the sp drain of bladesinging is now fooked.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

Getting your hands on an silk shirt from an special quest will solve all spdrain problems on a ranger, or on any class.

Then again, hors there is right. I have also noticed that it is percentual. Or atleast the drain is pretty huge, no matter what is your spmax.
Either lowering the cost or making it almost instant to vibrate your blade/end it would help a lot.
Instead of using the skill on blade, rather give some ranger_cmd command to start it and to end it on a weapon.

Another issue heavily involved to this topic is magic endurance pdf blessing and bladesinging, afaik bladesinging still stops at 30% spmax even if you have magic endurance pdf blessing (it lowers the magic weakness to 7-8% spmax or so).
Correct me if im wrong.
iluth

Post by iluth »

If singing both weapons would have a greater than 0 affect then maybe fixing this might be worth it. Since the main hand makes around 90-95 percent of the hits (when wielding same size/speed weapons) having your right hand singing for the sonic damage is about the only thing you need bladesinging for. The bladesinging special is probably worthless damage eyecandy anyway.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

uliuli-song

Post by solar »

iluth wrote:The bladesinging special is probably worthless damage eyecandy anyway.
That special changes all the damage dealt by the attack to 100% sonic damage. Normal monsters do not resist sonic at all. Most expmonsters that rangers kill do not even resist physical, or if they do, IMHO then it's likely to be less than 25%...

So scoring UBER CRITS of bolt0 with ULIULI-song against badass physical-resistant monsters is about the only situation where this is of real use. But then again, rangers aren't really supposed to kill badass monsters, nor score uber crits :(
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Re: uliuli-song

Post by yoz »

solar wrote:
iluth wrote:The bladesinging special is probably worthless damage eyecandy anyway.
That special changes all the damage dealt by the attack to 100% sonic damage. Normal monsters do not resist sonic at all. Most expmonsters that rangers kill do not even resist physical, or if they do, IMHO then it's likely to be less than 25%...

So scoring UBER CRITS of bolt0 with ULIULI-song against badass physical-resistant monsters is about the only situation where this is of real use. But then again, rangers aren't really supposed to kill badass monsters, nor score uber crits :(
imho that is false info.

it does not convert all phys damage to sonic, just parts of it, giving your attacks more potential damage types.
iluth

Post by iluth »

solar wrote:
That special changes all the damage dealt by the attack to 100% sonic damage. Normal mo
I'm talking about the gold lited combat message, the act of singing your weapons isn't a special, it's a command. The special is a byproduct of that command, try reading and understanding my posts before you try and teach me to suck eggs :wink:

Also
having your right hand singing for the sonic damage is about the only thing you need bladesinging for
= Nice damage type against monsters.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

iluth wrote:
solar wrote:
That special changes all the damage dealt by the attack to 100% sonic damage. Normal mo
I'm talking about the gold lited combat message, the act of singing your weapons isn't a special, it's a command. The special is a byproduct of that command, try reading and understanding my posts before you try and teach me to suck eggs :wink:
As am I talking about that golden special message that kicks in once in a while. How about _you_ try reading and/or understanding?
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.