Mage Tweaks

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

idles
Site Admin

Re: Mage Tweaks

Post by idles »

felgand wrote:1.) Let invisibility drop a mage's sp to 50% of their current mana instead of ~20% or
Good points and an interesting conversation. The spell point cost of invisibility was just reduced 8)
Icesus Administration
daaemon
Supporting Member 2016

Post by daaemon »

Well done Idles :) That should help a decent bit for sure...
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

I'm missing the point here. If the spells spcost was lowered, but the spdrain is still the same (It seems that way to me, but it might be effective-after-reboot) then this change doesn't make any sense.
If you cast invis, you'll lose sps from spcost which is below 5% with reasonable spmax and after sp-drain you'll end up with ~20% sp's, now with the spcost reduced you lose less sps for the actual casting, but still end up with ~20% sp's after the drain anyway.

Someone please clear me out on this one.

edit:made text easier to read ,)
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

grainer wrote:I'm missing the point here. If the spells spcost was lowered, but the spdrain is still the same (It seems that way to me, but it might be effective-after-reboot) then this change doesn't make any sense.
I lowered the SP drain the spell does, not the spell cost shown in the help spell invisibility
Icesus Administration
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

Just tested and the drain was 83%, with casting started from full sp and spcost in help file is 3%.

Code: Select all

You start concentrating on a spell.
HP:[##########] 100%  SP:[######### ]  98%  EP:[##########] 100%
You perform the casting ritual with haste.
Invisibility (126%): ######
Invisibility (126%): ####
Invisibility (126%): ###
You focus on your knowledge of spellcasting, performing the ritual with great speed.
Invisibility (126%): #
Your knowledge of magic lore helps you in casting the spell.
The magic flowing around here makes it easier to control the spell.
You chant 'Jzt Da un' nu'wech' and hide your face in your hands.
You are prepared to release the spell.
You try to hide yourself and render yourself invisible.
HP:[##########] 100%  SP:[#         ]  14%  EP:[##########] 100%
idles
Site Admin

Post by idles »

grainer wrote:Just tested and the drain was 83%, with casting started from full sp and spcost in help file is 3%.
Yikes, that's way too high. I checked the code and there was a bug in the formula. Fixed it, the spell cost is now a lot lower.
Icesus Administration
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

Whee! Now it's fine. :D I actually had to log in and try it although I shouldn't be muding this week. :|
syder
Supporting Member 2016

Post by syder »

My opinion in the end is and will be very clear. Mages _are_ supposed to be party animals, you just have to have someone making the _most_ damage.

But in order to improve soloing capabilities i recommend players to have as high 'fake offensive rituals' as possible and going solo with leprechaun or brownie. They have nice charisma and trust me, it works far better to solo with them than with human or any other bigger than that.
Improved invisibility by the spell rules of d&d would be quite an improvement to soloing, i have my doubts of it destroying the good balance mages have now. But it could fade a bit each round you stay in combat, so changing the invisibility spell itself a bit would do, no new spell actually needed here.
And yes, there is a way to get 10k/min in solo even as low level mage (1 type and only some chronomancers) it has everything to do the spr you have got, use potions and vials. Swap your stat eq to regen eq even while changing area and use haste whenever you can. And instead of sacrificing the hearts for df, make jellies and take advantage of 'rite of power' -skill it is there for our use.

So there were couple tweak suggestions and there was bit guidance and information to those who haven't been mage as long as i have and who haven't tried as many magereincs as i have. And yes this is not meant to be offensive by any means.
To err is human, to forgive is divine.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I'm not that high lvl of a mage yet so I don't know if we already have this or not, and this is only my first reinc so maybe another guild might have this but I was thinking that a good spell would be a type of confusion spell. It could either be used to befuddle the monster so that its attacks/spells fail more often or just helps with fleeing or maybe even both. just a idea.
kanje

Post by kanje »

Some are this, some are that. Together they become whole. Reason why we have parties, compensate for shortcomings. now all that's left if people who want to group.
blaze

Post by blaze »

Being hit does so much damage at low level, wouldn't a spell that provide some physical protection help out. By the way elementalist's armor doesn't protect one from physical damage, only magical damage. Make it add a bit of protection please. Its hard soloing at low levels
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

blaze wrote:Being hit does so much damage at low level, wouldn't a spell that provide some physical protection help out. By the way elementalist's armor doesn't protect one from physical damage, only magical damage. Make it add a bit of protection please. Its hard soloing at low levels
Unfortunately thats how mages are and are supposed to be. Try to live with it.
goderic

Post by goderic »

Blaze, are you an earth priest? You certainly brought this thread back from a 3 - year death. THREAD NECROMANCY!
suron

Post by suron »

You can get mirror image spell from miscallenous magics users guild, while it takes some extra time at each mob to set it up it really helps while soloing bigger mobs.
vadun
Supporting Member 2009

Post by vadun »

suron wrote:You can get mirror image spell from miscallenous magics users guild, while it takes some extra time at each mob to set it up it really helps while soloing bigger mobs.
and your tank will absolutely love you for it. And absolute must in a two man party, if you're going with a mage in the backrow in the a Army/whatever in the front.