Mage Tweaks

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

allanon

Post by allanon »

Yeah, it is kind of sad that anything larger than arrow is bad for serious damage over time. "Delayed" is out of the question and "large" is opposite of what you want. "Small" is always nice, but not until you've got the spell powerful enough that you can actually deal nice damage with small arrow spam and if lucky swarm.

It seems that you are basically requesting something like a more permanent kind of SP cost reducer that you can activate beforehand, and also small chance to recoup costs of a spell when you are skilled (obviously, should scale with the initial manacost to begin with).

It sounds like a good idea. Solo mages wouldn't benefit too much, since they go for hit-and-run rather than endurance. But it would certainly boost mage's role for parties, at least for ones below lv50 where they can take another sub for utility. Only other way is to load up on lots and lots of SP potions or maybe tune up Meditation (what a concept!) etc. I look forward to the day where I could actually use Missile in party with deftank.

For other stuffs: "Essence of true ritual" skillhelp says that it "eliminates some minor parts of spellcasting" which are not important. So I think it would only really apply to casting speed. Make new skill if crit chance, stun, damage, special, pierce, blaah are wanted...or maybe tune existing things like Find weakness, Target focusing, Combat analysis to help this. I know that they already work for mages as passives, but if they were made active channeltype things like you suggest for true ritual...it is an idea.

Only bad thing I can see is that perhaps this would consume mage's EPs, and they don't have much of those :)

Oh yes, and some sort of target practice range for mages would be welcome addition, especially for casual players (anyone remembers dart throwing at Pink Bunny?). Library is perfect location. Although it would be bad if you summoned magical cloud and WHOOOPS! kill newbie talking to Aquail.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
blaze

Post by blaze »

Since mage seem to be ranged, it would be interesting if they can cast spells into another area, and then the monster would chase you into your area, and the battle could start there. ( Set-ups such as traps( firewalls, ice blockades, thunder cage mines, acid sprays, for example) , area manipulators (change the area into lava pools, icicles, etc to increase magic attack damage) would be very useful, there some strategy can be incorporated into battle instead of cast and run, etc.)
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I like that idea, though it sounds hard to implement, might be useful for the solo archer/hunter to set traps and then shoot from a longer distance away to attract the enemy. Couldn't work for all enemies though, some are guarding stuff.
allanon

Post by allanon »

Mage already gets free traps. Shooting across rooms should never be implemented, too powerful and I can think of plenty of abuses.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.