Militia

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

felgand

Post by felgand »

It's rather hard to be stealthy when clad in heavy armor...and these are (relatively) dumbarse brutes trained to protect a city whose main patron is Ptthule, the goddess of Air...militia shouldn't be allowed to join the priests of Fire as it is not in Vaerlon's best interests and it's doubtful they would make qualified priests anyway.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

priests of fire are warriors. and there could be a sort of army at atherton to work with the priests of fire
felgand

Post by felgand »

No. Priests of Fire are priests, hence the title. They may at some point possess warrior-like qualities but that would still make them priests, not militia. When building a guild it's generally poor policy to create a clone of an existing guild and place it elsewhere.
iluth

Post by iluth »

The stealthy subguild idea is nice and reflects structure of the military quite well, nowdays we have special forces and it would be cool indeed to see a icesus version of this, but as always it would open up a big can of balance worms, can you imagine a militia with sneaking skills and archery levels?

Maybe you need to go into more detail about what a militia stealth sub would be about, and how it would prevent the military being too powerful while remaining fun and a worthwhile guild to join.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

militia and stealth do not mix

Post by solar »

Should there a be need for the army of Vaerlon to engage in stealthy covert-ops missions, they would enlist outside aid. To my knowledge, the rangers are such experts and harbor no ill will towards the army. Not every ranger shares the ideals of hugging trees, some have only been taught by rangers and can be mercenaries.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

the aspects that i am thinking of for a stealth part of the military are ambushes and squad tactics, also the being able to party with shadowdancers and the rangers, i can't think of much more but there are other things
felgand

Post by felgand »

Militia are entirely able to party with rangers and shadowdancers currently, in fact many times it's useful to bring a beefy militia along with a couple of rangers on the side.

Solar's point is a good one, rangers already specialize in covert tactics and have ways to hide/evade...and have good relations with the militia of Vaerlon. Let the rangers be your scouts and militia specialize in regular infantry. Allowing each main guild a measure of uniqueness keeps the game more interesting.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Ok, in my view, the militia is like more of the kick-in-the-door-bash-open-the-skull-and-drink-their-beer type of guild. All out assault basicly. We dont have cannons so they cant be cannon-meat, but its a brutal enough word that describes their style: Go in first, get sloughtered the most and make it look like you don't care (them fireballs raining down on us are just bad weather anyway). If your looking for 'special forces' rangers would be them- sneaking into the enemy teritory and using theyr heavy crossbows to 'snipe' some headshots is their line. And if they don't cut it, hire an assasin. The shaodwdancers cover that area- sneaking in in the cover of darkness, stabbing in the back or poisoning the morning coffee.

But i have heard rumors of adding new guild commands for higher level officers to command some new party maneuvers. And it don't seam wrong to me if those commands (at some high level) would start to work on rangers, allowing more affective co-operation between the fair forces of valkor. No, it don't seem wrong at all.
Praised be the god of fire, may he bless me and my dark brethren with the warmth, and save me from the light of hes holy flames.
pharean

Post by pharean »

I've read all through these posts and whilst I agree with most of whats been said about fancying up the more advanced sub guilds I really think it makes a difference if you RP.
I was a little disappointed when I arrived to be told "join the army, it's for the best" I wanted to be a ranger!!
But... having a char. that's meant to be a bit of a wanderer and a jack of all trades, I decided that it could work out ok. So I've trained those skills the Militia offered, I've trained survival skills so I hunt, skin, do leatherworking, etc. I can build an ordinary camp, cook my own food and it's working out just great.
I supose that I could be much more advanced in the army than I am now but it wouldn't be as much fun. Who knows I might even get around to fishing one day but there's no rush, I came here wanting to enjoy the place and thats what I do even though I'm just a grunt.
pharean

Post by pharean »

Ok, so I went away and thought about it a little and these are a few ideas for Army skills. I've based these on what one might expect from "Army types" bearing in mind they are not meant to be super ninjas.

1) Spit and Polish: Intimate knowledge of armour increaces it's eficacy. (affects instigater only. Based on armour proficiency.)

2) Hone to Perfection: Intimate knowledge of weapon increaces it's eficacy. (affects instigater only. Based on weapon proficiency)

3) Raise the Flag: Stiffens resolve therefore improves defence. (Affects instigater/party but instigater must be leading the party. Based on level or reputation )

4) Sing anthem: Bolsters morale therefore improving regen. rate. (Affects instigater/party but instigater must be leading party. Based on level or reputation)

5) Martinet: Constant badgering by instigater decreases RT on attacks, would not apply to spell casters. (Affects party but instigater must be leading party. Based on weapons/defence proficiency, would not affect anyone with greater proficiency)

6) Double time: Decreases EP loss when travelling. (Affects party but instigater must be leading party. No skill check)

Not sure if #6 is worthwhile as I've not travelled that much and have no experience to base it on, but I did read that "outside" travel did increase EP loss.

None of these "abilities" are designed with the Militia in mind, for instance #1 might apply to the Light Infantry whereas #2 would apply to the Heavy Infantry. It would be even better if these abilities were lost if the player changed guilds.

I also believe that all the Army should get a significant boost when it comes to comparing armours and weapons. After all the training in thse is their raison d'etre
zaec

Post by zaec »

Just to say, as long as you can freely choose all the backgrounds to any guild you want its nearly impossible to make templars weaker than the militia. Militia and the templars have almost the same skills and its most useful to take 5x roadbuilders for example as a background for a templar. therefore they both have same stats, same skills, but the templars just have kickass spells in addition. And rangers too, why would you take scouts or some other crap when you can get a beefy forest dweller instead of taking some messeger/scout backgrounds because strength and constitution rules in the end anyways.

adding some restrictions that templars should come from cities or large villages and have trained their youth as temple acolytes or servants and rangers would have to choose backgrounds from foresters, scouts and such. and of course for each guild their own required backgrounds.

In this way the tuning does not have to be done by lowering the skillfulness of the character, simply the physics and the way of your entire life would do that.
and once again the formula here is simple:

templars: militia:
same skills same skills
same stats same stats
+spells -spells
--------------------
= templars just are better as long as you don't tune the stats/skills and what's the point in making them lousy in combat by lowering their skills, I don't think thats the best idea.
And by saying same stats/skills I mean that the differences are so minimal when comparing to the effectivity of the spells for example expecially when comparing to militia who have no spells at all and their masteries certainly don't compensate that.
daerin

Post by daerin »

zaec wrote: and once again the formula here is simple:

templars: militia:
same skills same skills
same stats same stats
+spells -spells
I thought that militias got higher maximal percents for melee skills? and guess that firbolg or any another big race could better stats with more ease than human can
licune

militia

Post by licune »

First shieldwall should be usable by all front row wielding shields,
since very few militia are ever in the same group. Are we saying Templars are smart enough to use spells, and Watch the gates. But couldnt follow a grunt's instructions to stand like this and hold his shield here.
The minion idea, or whatever it was called. one word, No. this seems too much like e-priests, and its the militia. A better idea would be to hire a npc. but even then they get some exp and lower your gain, seems like a bad idea.
A better way to help militia would be to take a small percentage of
the weapons masters guild(like styles and the like) and give them earlier. say def in heavy, and off in light.
arkady
Supporting Member 2007

Post by arkady »

well I think shield wall should be for militia only. I mean militia suck enough as is without giving away something that only we can do. Militia are effective in groups, our high hp max and good leadership skills (controlled retreat), make us reasonably effective in many situations. Millitia are not effective at soloing anything, strike is too slow, hits too weak that we basicly need a mage standing behind us if we are going to do any damage. This and that our guild progession has only one choice in it def or off is what makes this guild 'boring.' We have two guild events, one of which you are almost always going to die in, and another which you just have to show up for. no small wonder that everybody seems to reinc outta militia to monks or SD or templar. We did get that new skill to make our magic resist better and that was needed but I think that we should look into tuning up strike's speed or power, to start.

to make the guild more exciting I think we should have two more events: one where we spar against one and other with barehands, and another where we have to bring the hearts of our kills to grurg, sort of a bounty quest, for rank points.

One more new idea a beer drinking contest handicaped for size, which one of us can hold there beer the best. I would love to tackle the code for alcohol tolerance, but I would need a bunch of help. wouldn't that be cool a horde of drunken militia at ereldon after the event, singing songs, and bothering other players.

Edit:typos
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

about those officers

Post by kraven »

those officers could be marshals :twisted: ...sounds tough and would be cool