Air Priests + skills and spells

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

suron

Air Priests + skills and spells

Post by suron »

Just opening a new topic for my favorite guild. This is meant
for anything Air Priest related material.

EDIT:
I see that this thread is blossoming into a fruitful discussion about real and serious topics, good, keep it up folks.
Last edited by suron on Wed Sep 01, 2004 00:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
suron

Post by suron »

The new guild architecture is more confusing than the old one!
And I don't like it very much.

Thank you.

EDIT:
Surprisingly I'm getting more and more comfortable with the new guild. Every now and then I don't even typo 'stairs' in the guild!
Last edited by suron on Wed Sep 01, 2004 00:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
suron

Post by suron »

Skill : Chirurgy needs an upgrade badly. Here is some suggestions.

- Make one use of chirurgy close ALL wounds on the subject.
- Make it slightly faster unless subject suffers from multiple wounds.
- The healing process might restore subjects ep slightly (very)
- Have major positive effect on skill carving and cooking :)
- And echo something to the subject that the surgeon is operating on him.

- Thank you -
suron

Post by suron »

Spell : Biting Wind

You can fork the spell to strike several targets just by typing AND between the targets.
For example you are in a room with 4 wolves and want to target all of the wolves with 1 biting wind, just type :
Cast biting wind at wolf 1 AND wolf 2 AND wolf 3 AND wolf 4

!!! N O T E !!!
:!: It has to be 'AND' not 'and' (capital letters) :!:
You can replace the 'wolf' for any other target.
Like if you were in a room full of mooses, it would not do you any good to target wolves, now would it?
(feel free to experiment with different kind of targets)
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Air Priests

Post by janeti »

suron wrote: Cast biting wind at wolf 1 AND wolf 2 AND wolf 3 AND wolf 4

And don't worry about the fact that by the time you tyoe all that you or your tank have been ripped to pieces by the wolves :)
felgand

Post by felgand »

In my opinion, I think that many of the early air-priest healing spells lose their usefulness very early for the guild. Most of the time, a priest's mainstays will be embrace of vitae, mend flesh, or mend body (with some variation in between)...most of the other healing spells are forgotten for their more effective counterparts. Perhaps it would be interesting if training in those minor spells either increase the power of healing spells of that type (ie. studying mend skin improves the power of all mend spells a little) or reduces the drain of those types of spells on the air priest's mana.
suron

Post by suron »

I agree with Felgands opinion about the unused healing spells
no one even bothers to study/use. Mend flesh and Embrace of vitae are most commonly used healing spells.

Somekind of supporting spell system for those unused spells having somekind of effect on other similar spells would be great and would give a reason to study those spells. Those effect need not to be anything major, maybe some reduction in casting time, reduction in sp cost, increased healing...or having knowledge in all the healing spells would have a positive effect on the Mastery of Curing improvement rate which by the way improves pretty slowly comparing to other guilds masteries.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Although its been a long time since i was last a healer, i must agree with the idea of supportive bonuses from low level spells. And i even think it should somehow apply to other casters too: kinde wierd to be masterful at casting a 'storm' and not know how to cast a simple 'rain', dont you think.
But air_priest need this the most cause their spells are designed in a way that once you learn the second spell to a reasonable level you dont need that lower spell any more, at all.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Maybe there should be a mechanism so to ensure that when you trian, "mend skin" > "mend flesh" > "mend bones" > "mend body", and that "lesser purgation" > "purgation" > "greater purgation".. and similar for the vitaes.

That wouldn't give any benefit though and would just cost people that reinc into the guild more exp.
malag
Supporting Member 2005

Post by malag »

Air priests would get some change? Yeah right! Like they would alter a old guild. I would be happy if they would make that mastery for mend spells like it was supposed to... (like 4year ago)

And secondly - Suron - as if you would reinc anyway, so no use for you.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Well, granted it doesn't happen terribly often...but old guilds do get a facelift every now and then. Not too long ago, mages got a boost to their solo'ing ability with lowered invisibility costs due to the discussion on these forums. So helping air priests get a change might not be as impossible as you think. ;)
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Upgrades

Post by solar »

I have whined about (some of) these before, and I will do so yet again. :twisted:

Chirurgy needs a mastery for it... Well, not exactly 'needs' but one would be very nice. As for what it does, I suggest raised amount of hp healed and faster chirurgy using. :)

And while we are still discussing masteries, every offensive spell should have their own mastery. Even the nigh-useless (I don't know if it gets more useful later on) electric whirlwind.

Some new (not necessarily useful) spells. For example, they have this nice 'minor suffocation', but why is it called 'minor' if they don't have an access to 'major' version of it? :|

Where are fog spells and chain lightning storms? non-electric Whirlwinds and thunderclaps? Air walking (to avoid drowning) and gusts of wind? Synergy bonuses for having multiple priests in the same room (= larger part of Pthuule's presence concentrated there)?

One possible way of obtaining these could be to sacrifice lots of stuff (lots in amount, not in value) during the air phase and that way be rewarded with few % of these possible spells.

Yes, air_priests are not supposed to be offensive spellcasters, because that way it would upset the balance blah blah blah. However, I do wish to point out that when Earth_priests were active, they had access to some demolishing offensive spells. "But they had lesser healing powers", you say? On the other hand, they had better (or should I say more effective) endurance replenishing spell (for their additional endurance using backrow archers/throwers) and minions-only healing spells of (perhaps) equal greatness as their air_priest counterparts have for the living. :!:

I don't know about the new earth_priests, but I dare to venture a guess that even then: Air_priest < Earth_priests.

And I left monks out intentionally. :wink:

Oh, and one possible solution for the less used mend spells (mend skin, for example) is to broaden the range of when they function with full effectiveness.

That's all for now. Enjoy your sleep.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
belannaer
Wizard

Re: Upgrades

Post by belannaer »

solar wrote:Yes, air_priests are not supposed to be offensive spellcasters, because that way it would upset the balance blah blah blah. However, I do wish to point out that when Earth_priests were active, they had access to some demolishing offensive spells.
That is probably because they were to be an offensive spellcaster guild from the start :wink: Comparing air priests and earth priests is almost like comparing mages and militia.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Rant

Post by solar »

Perhaps you are right Belannaer, but you being right doesn't solve the problem from my point of view :D

I compared the two guilds to each other and found earth_priests to be "better" in general. It's true that air_priests function better in certain areas... no wait, they only function better when healing players. And this only with hitpoints and the possibility of having incenses aflame during regen breaks.

Earth_priests (the old ones, at least), functioned a lot better in exp/smallish eq/money runs. Nowdays, I'm not sure if they work better in exp making runs, because, at present, new guilds have been implemented into the game since back then.

I fail to see the logic in which elemental priests wouldn't be 'equal in "power"'.

There should be no need to 'compare militias and mages', but priests should be priests and thus be comparable using priest-terms.

There, chew on that.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
iluth

Post by iluth »

Air priests from what i can see are very effective in parties but almost useless solo, that is what they are meant for.

Air priests are still very much in demand btw, all i ever see is people asking for air priests, no longer archers and mages. All the fashionable blaster guilds have taken place as back row damagers.

But fear not, as long as there are tanks there will be a need for air priests :D