New guilds...

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I think what he meant by balanced is that they wouldn't be much of a fighting class at all, so not only must they worry about being caught an failing at the steal but also about getting killed because they can't fight as well as other guilds.

They might be able to dodge well but not take damage well if they don't pull of the dodge and they don't deal out the damage all the well either, makeing it so that they can make use of their steal skills best in a party where some one can tank for them while they work on the stealing.

But thats just what I think he meant so I could be wrong
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

ok dragoons are heavy calvary, so any horse skills? i guess they would be the victorian version of the knight.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Dragoons

Post by janeti »

I thought dragoons were troops who rode around but dismounted to fight.

My dictionary says 'mounted infantryman generally armed with a carbine'

As I recall the carbine was invented for mounted troops, shorter lighter design. Presumably easier to use on horseback (where you were never going to be very accurate so a long barrel was a waste of time) and easier to (un)mount with.

Maybe he'll rename them. Somebody with more historically knowledge than me must know something less apt to confuse. The only word I can think of at the moment is Janissaries(sp). But I think I'm getting my history mixed up with my fiction, and I don't think they limited their weapon choices.

On the other hand I still identify 'Dragoon' with a Hydran cruiser. So I can accept new uses for the name.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

i am going to give away your insperation: final fantasy. dragoons in that get major bonuses from wielding a spear.

a carbine is a short rifle, or musket
i like the idea, it will be fun.
IMHO thiefs will need to have all points possible to attack to successfully steal anything, so they are at a big disadvantage if they get caught.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

maybe there could be a sort of cooldown time for the change after trying to steal from someone before you can change your attack pattern. and i was not trying to make it look like you were trying to put FF into icesus, i seriously like the idea, maybe in four years i will be strong enough to be one, and by then i will have the armour neccesary.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Dragoons

Post by janeti »

Maybe, if they can ride dragons, or, at least, aspire to ride dragons, they could be called Dragoneers.

Though I'm still happy to have another reference attached to 'Dragoon'.

The Hydran Dragoon was part of a game called Star Fleet Battles (more usually SFB) which was originally a tabletop 'strategy' game [actually more tactical] that, over the years, got insanely complicated. Later it was made into a computer game, which meant that the computer got the job of looking through three rulebooks and dozens of supplements for the rules and how they interacted.