Earthpriests

Talk about guilds and classes.

Moderator: Moderators

yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

i appreciate players who have real wisdom over the things they say, apog here has many good points, and seems like he has taken maximizing/studying lowlevel earthrpriests to full potential as his project. It warms my heart to see such...

To the topic:
Indeed, earthpriests require shitlloads of exp to work, maybe playing them at lower levels doesent feel as rewarding as it should (tho money is much easier to make than with most guilds). But when you get your mastery high enough to 25-30% and later on reinc back in to the guild and notice that you have your graveborn available it prolly is worth it. For really high level players there is the prolly most efficient solution that any earthpriest can do, arhcer/sorcerer/earthpriest darkelfcombination. With graveborn, it rocks my world.

I think earth-priests as a fun-guild which really need devotion and lots of playing to be good. They arent ment to be the best ratemakers in the game, but neither the worst. At least in this guild high masteries DO make difference.
They however require some spice, something that really makes them look cool instead of the boring looks of the guild. They lack the final touch, just like unfortunately most of belannaers guilds do. They have high potential, but somewhere in the line they fail.
zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

It's a fun guild to exp actually. But don't bother to party before you've managed to create that phys resist undead, since quite frankly, you suck big time without it :P

All in all, it's not bad. Can pull an decent exprate with that phys resist minion and the money is easy to make.

Have to get back in a few weeks when my masteries are high enough for graveborn.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

One thing to say, they rock my world. seriously, but it takes some time and effort if you want to get all out of it. Some people might not have the patience of getting that much spoke graveborn, or ubercaster lich.. Surely, you get better spells at higher levels, but you you can do pretty well without them too. And regen might take ages, because the minions have 'constant' spdrain to keep them running, but you can always leave it to the altar and either regen in there or in a place with magical campfire. This guild, and shadowdancers, are the only ones I like to play without reincing almost straight away.. Beeing in solo guild might do that :F

But I wish luck, and patience to those who want to try out this guild, Enjoy :)
nezen
Supporting Member 2017

Post by nezen »

I'm posting this here mainly as a warning for higher level players. Necromancy skill caps at 110%, at least when considering what minions you can conjure. Tho I have a growing suspicion that all benefits you gain from the skill reach their maximum at the said percent. Skill does raise above 110% ofc but after that it won't do anything.

I myself took major blessing in necromancy and did not get a new minion nor did i notice any considerable change in how much exp needed to advance minion. So taking that blessing is pretty much useless currently.

I guess this _is_ for the best (yeah, despite jumping at the chance myself, sue me) but since we got that skilltune and the cap was prolly set before that, could it be possible to raise it a bit?
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Effectiveness to necromancy caps at 110% in conjure undead spell which determines what you can summon and how much it requires exp to level up. Other bonuses from necromancy, like how strong your minion is, still apply over the 110% cap in conjure undead.
durmuk
Supporting Member 2012

Post by durmuk »

Does conjure undead spell percentage affect how good stats your undead has?
goderic

Post by goderic »

durmuk wrote:Does conjure undead spell percentage affect how good stats your undead has?
Veteran Earth Priests have told me yes.
jabari
Supporting Member 2010

Post by jabari »

Trying to wake up this almost dead forum, maybe someone reads and actually answers to generic rants :)

I returned to game and settled in as earth priest and so far I like it. This guild is clearly intended for higher levels as it really starts to work when you can get the high skill percentages and I don't have a clue how rocking those extra prots from the highpriests would actually be. But it doesn't restrict me from enjoying the guild.

My number 1 problem is that killing mobs is not very fast and in areas I like to stay the monsters often wander around. More than once I encounter the situation that someone comes to same place and either aggro directly or aggroes when I start casting a spell.. Why, oh Why! Doesn't path of earth teach how to fake offensive rituals! All other priests, even the puny air priests have a sect dedicated for offensive magic that teaches their disciples from not letting everyone know lightning is about to hit you in the head.

Things I enjoy are minions, healthy selection of boost spells and nifty utility spells (earth altar, replenish stamina and summon minion <3) and overall good survivability (I rarely end up getting myself killed).

On the downside (in addition to lacking fake offensive rituals) is the time commitment to minion and from my point of view fairly low xp rate (maybe I'm trying too big monsters or not doing things just perfect) and the one sided offensive spell department of a lowbie..

- Touch of the Nether is the super spell I end up casting 99% of the time.
- Soulburn is a nice finisher, but it requires some somatic components so you when you have a staff in your hand you just keep on shooting touch of the nether.
- Ground Seal seems great but cannot train too high if you're not mastering the necromancy path
- Erosion blows big time, it may be nice to drop max hp from crimson death but when xping, it's not worth studying.
- Earth coffin seems to be THE offensive spell but as a lowbie you cannot really have it and still have a solid minion, so with my 20% skill I don't even bother.
- Seismic Shockwave and Bane of the Living seem great too, but like Earth Coffin no point of investing to them if you cannot really get them to solid %
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

Most earth priests I've worked with use the minion nearly exclusively, since they don't want to run out of sp, and for the first level a lot of them would just kill EVERYTHING in the main parts of the vaerlon sewers(decent exp and fairly little challenge), casting will attract attention, but just attacking with the minion doesn't unless the enemies aggro. So unless you know there won't be another enemy to aggro you, probably best to let the minion do most of the work and fight weak things until it gets to level 1. Then again, I haven't played a necromancer for a while, and I might not have the most useful information.

And it's good to see another forum necromancer.
jabari
Supporting Member 2010

Something regarding the skills

Post by jabari »

I'm trying to understand the importance of Earth Doctrine, Earth Lore and Earth Rituals.. I fully appreciate the game being little bit obscure and don't expect wizards to dish out the formulas.. but just a generic chat about the importance of the skills.

Necromancy is THE skill which is defining the power of your minion and how much experience it needs to level up and also according to help files it improves your touch of the nether offensive spell.

But at the same time Earth Doctrine seems to be improving the power of spells, so does it improve all spells or just the ones which mention it as one of the key stats?
Earth Lore on the other hand says that it's a key to unlocking powers.
And Earth Rituals explain that it's for the most devoted people wanting to master earth spells.

So I'm assuming that all of these are affecting to every spell that you're trying to cast but what I would like to understand is that does improving one in particular help for example to keep the buffs more durable or bringing the more damage throughput to your spells.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

So I'm assuming that all of these are affecting to every spell that you're trying to cast but what I would like to understand is that does improving one in particular help for example to keep the buffs more durable or bringing the more damage throughput to your spells.
I do not have code with me at the moment to check the exact effects but as far as I remember it does all those things you mentioned, but naturally they affect differently on different spells.[/quote]
goderic

Post by goderic »

jabari wrote: Why, oh Why! Doesn't path of earth teach how to fake offensive rituals!
Possibly because it may well be an utterly useless skill... I have it at 100% as a mage, and much more often than not mobs still aggro whilst I'm casting.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

the help files for the spells should give the chance of being noticed, not in a number, but with an adjective, and if it is modified by fake offensive ritual, we would be able to see a change.
ezenya
Supporting Member 2017

Post by ezenya »

i think ep offensive spells should get uptune to some degree, or atleast their manacost lowered. and for minions... well, i dont have high masterys but their dmg seems bit low aswell. also might be fun to see ep on eq (needs alot of tuning, maybe turn haunt into a much more powerfull spell that keeps the damagetype changes on spells but increases damage drastically, so EP might be able to join eq aswell!

then again, doing so might make exping with minions useless :( so maybe buff minions instead? atleast highend minions. still, taking 2 slots on party should be worth it somehow... i dont know, just my 2 cents...