Psionicist's shouldn't be able to Command you do stuff.

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

dracolipse

Psionicist's shouldn't be able to Command you do stuff.

Post by dracolipse »

I have a big problem with allowing Psionicist's to command other player's to do stuff. It definately smacks of Abuse. I'd also say it isn't fair to other players to allow an ability like that into the game world with no notice. Who really wants someone making them do something without any input? I'd like to raise my hand to suggest that this ability be limited to NPC's, if at all.
"If you love somebody, let them go. For if they return, they were always yours and if they dont, they never were. - Kahlil Gibran"
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

The commands they are able to force others to do are very limited and I see no problem in that.

Possible mental suggestions are:
* to use <skill> (at <target>)
* to cast <spell> (at <target>)
* to sleep
* to move around
* to stop attacking
dracolipse

Post by dracolipse »

Ok, Here are some of the abuses that I see off the top of my head. If any of them can't be done, then please say so.

1. Suggesting to cast an offensive spell at a Mob (like ereldon) that is just going to get the player killed or result in lower reputation or heaven forbid, the player is suggested to attack another player. Nothing like getting that level 19 player to cast arrow of chill at Thakkrad, and getting himself killed. Or higher level player to kill someone on behalf of the Psionicist.

2. Suggesting to cast a spell continuously to either A.) Reduce SP's or B.) Interupt current spell casting. For example, I'm in the middle of casting "delayed ball of ice" and now suddenly I'm trying to build a camp. I've just lost half the sp's of the spell.

3. Suggesting to cast, or use, a beneficial spell, or skill, at the Psionicist.

4. Suggesting to use a skill, or spell, in the middle of combat after the target has already begun a combat manuever or spell. Nothing liike trying to cast a ball of ice or execute a strike and having someone tell you to start skinning.

5. Suggesting to walk into an unsafe area, such as a lake or into a room with an aggressive mob.

6. One psionicist suggesting that you do something, like cast mend bones, at another psionicist to get him in trouble. Since you don't know who actually did it, most people would look at the target psionicist and assume they did it.

These are particularly nasty if you don't even know who is doing it to you. How do you get reimburses if you are a spell weaver mage and get dunked into water and die? Is that PK? or are the Psionicist's going to be able to get off with "Oh, I didn't know he was next to water... I just wanted to mess with him"?
"If you love somebody, let them go. For if they return, they were always yours and if they dont, they never were. - Kahlil Gibran"
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

The sorcerer spell "cast energy vortex at translocate object xxx to someplayer" might need to be blocked as well. That would let a psionicist take smallish items from a sorcerer's inventory.

Other than that I say leave it. Let rules of socially acceptable behavior develop naturally. Clearly screwing with someone in combat to get them killed is no different than attacking them, but causing an idle air priest at Ereldon to heal people? Sounds acceptable to me.

Note: any psionicist who catches me idle should feel free to make me "cast energy vortex at regenerative vortex"
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Maybe you should first test it yourself before you start whining about it?
ndarr

blaa

Post by ndarr »

I think if you are idle, then you shouldn't worry about mental suggestion. works only if you aren't idle..
malag
Supporting Member 2005

mental control...

Post by malag »

I must say that that is absolutely a very nice and cool idea that psions are able to control other players... After all they are psions.
But I must agree that it might be abused a lot... It sould be taken in to a certain control so that players can not just do anything they wish to do with other players. Since even if a idle healer is allowed to cast a heal on someone it might not be a very nice suprise for the idle healer to come back after 5h and notice that all his blessings has droped just because some idiot abused him for the whole 5 hours.
And we could make up several ideas about these abuses. And if this kind of "teasing" is allowed i will surely make a psion out of myself since I would enjoy teasing other players...
But I must say that this is ok with me - if! it is not made up to abuse lvl - but where goes the line?
And i also must say that why the do players idle at ere or other areas - you can allways go linkdead or to an inn where no1 can probe your head.
But I must say - when Im a monk - and I must meditate ALOT in order to get my med lvl up - and if some idiot comes and ends it while I'm trying get it up - I'll surely concider it a mental Attack and I will retaliate as soon as I come back to the keyboard! But if im semi idle or idle at ere - i dont mind ppl using me to heal others IF they really need it and IF it is only every now and then and IF they really were about to die...
But if there really is no restriction to what the psions are allowed to and how much they are allowed to do - you'll see me as a psion soon - harrasing everybody....
Malag has spoken - Ugh!
malag
Supporting Member 2005

malag speaks again...

Post by malag »

And I must add...
I do not wish for the psions abily to be taken away... I think it is great and it really makes the psion to feel that he is a psion.
But just to controll it a bit so that ppl are not allowed to use it all the time to harash others...
And mainly for Players to be "normal" and use some of that brain you were given during birth.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Ok, let's clear out several things:

Mental suggestion:
1. Works only on non-idle players
2. Works only once/10-15 minutes
3. Can only force players to use skills/spells at themselves/other players/monsters and to sleep/end combat.
4. Can only force monsters who would already be moving to move around. In other words it won't work on players or blockers or mobs who wouldn't normally move at all.
4. CANNOT force players to use offensive spells/skills at monsters/players who aren't already in combat with them.
5. CANNOT end meditation.
6. Everything else you have heard about it is bullshit.
7. Kill the psionicist if you feel violated.

And Malag, please don't use word psion about psionicists. I might actually code psions one day and make them psi-using melee fighters :twisted:
malag
Supporting Member 2005

conclusion

Post by malag »

conclusion - players worry too much about game balance and stuff while the wizards have allready done it for us.

Your psions are psionwarriors to me :D