Icesus coding courses or Want to be an apprentice?

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

What course would you attend first?

Poll ended at Wed May 26, 2004 13:50 pm

A. Basic Programming
20%
B. Basic LPMUD/Icesus programming.
57%
C. Advanced Icesus programming.
13%
D. No courses for me, I can study myself.
9%
E. I'm not interested in developing Icesus
2%

Total votes: 46

thoran
Wizard

Icesus coding courses or Want to be an apprentice?

Post by thoran »

We are thinking of organizing a set of courses where current wizards teach all the interested people to code things for Icesus.

IF this set of courses is to be organized, they would probably be divided to three parts.

A. Basic Programming. (C Language basics, tools etc)
B. Basic LPMUD/Icesus programming (howto create rooms, monsters, quests etc. You should have gone through course A or already know how to program in C before joining this.)
C. Advanced Icesus coding techniques (This is for you if you have already written something to icesus or some other LPMUD. I could join this one :) )

If you are interested in becoming a wizard, please answer the poll which would be the right first course for you.

- Thoran
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

very nice, I have been looking for learning to code in so long, but havent found anything helpfull expect a page I found yesterday, but I found it too advanced and they wasent willing to help you unless you had read every bitt of info they had, or you could get your hands on...
So yes I would attend at this
cutter
Wizard

Post by cutter »

You forgot "Designing code or how to write code that doesn't mutate into something so horrible you don't want anyone to know you had something to do with it" from the list!

Although it could be considered to be a part of those courses, especially the advanced one.

Relatedly, I still haven't managed to get that coding style document written - hopefully I'll have a bit more time after this week so I can finally get to it... (Would probably be a Good Thing(tm) to have for the courses.)
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Hehe, such thing could be great addition Cutter as most of the existing code is such :wink:
astam
Supporting Member 2007

Post by astam »

I'm definately interested...

Even got a few ideas...
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

how would the lessons be held? (if its gonna be something)
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Online somehow.
deltoru

Coding Course

Post by deltoru »

I think it's a great idea, and would be glad to get the knowledge to help create areas for Icesus. Count me in!! :D
cayldric

Post by cayldric »

I'd pretty much have to start from basics... the last I tried programming was my BBC Basic. But, I'd be up for it... just depends how frustrating I find coding.

Also depends on my potential new job which will involve shift work.
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

if it gonna be something of this, and I "get it" can i try to code the "gem-bag" thingy I wrote about in the idea section?
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

tilamond wrote:if it gonna be something of this, and I "get it" can i try to code the "gem-bag" thingy I wrote about in the idea section?
There are always two things before something is coded to icesus. First, the administration must agree that it will fit icesus, be in tune and so on. Second, someone must code it. I see no reason why you could not suggest you code something like that. You should be able to code it, at least with some help, after the two first courses.

- T
felgand

Post by felgand »

Would it be possible to code open subguilds as a non-wizard...or do those things require that only wizards can create one?
thoran
Wizard

Post by thoran »

In general, no.

There might be exceptions to it, depending how trusted the player coding it is and what kind of sub guild it is.

Anyhow, I don't recommend a guild as a first project. Person coding it should have some experience about how things work.
alaye

Post by alaye »

i know a bit of html, but that ain't even a real programming language, right? i don't know much about compilers and stuff, so i'd probably need the basic course. it would be great if i could programm a bit for icesus during the holidays.
phu

Post by phu »

When, where, Yes Please ;}