Mud Clients

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

cadus

Mud Clients

Post by cadus »

Toxir wanted me to make a post about mud clients.... and so here it is.

Actually, I was wondering what client everyone uses. I myself use MushClient, which has recently become freeware--it's customizable with scripting to allow you to do all sorts of things. For example, I foregoed an unnecessarily large amount of sleep last night to a set of triggers to calculate the average amount of time a hunt takes. I have tons of aliases--aliases for even the smallest things.

The only other client I'm aware anyone uses is Zmud, which I haven't touched for years. I used to use AL Client a looong time ago too, but I doubt anyone's heard of that one.

I'd like to hear what sorts of aliases/triggers/timers people make use of to make their mudding life in Icesus earlier. :D
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

You'll find some linux shell users like myself using tf (TinyFugue). There's also Klarh who at one point was trying to get it to work on Windows.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

It worked fine on windows; I used it for a good little while.

While I was using windows, the main clients that I used were WinTin.net and tf. Since I switched to linux, I used kildclient for a while. Now, though, I'm using mushclient as well, since it works fine for my needs through wine. It's a nice, extremely easily-scriptable client that I feel that you can do most anything with (Including those " foobar$" triggers with regexps that won't kill you when you walk to atherton!). It works in windows and (my)linux, and now it's free!
osma

Post by osma »

I've been using Roaclient forever. I don't actualy know much about how to fine tune clients, but i have tons of aliases for hunting (hunt signs) crafting (leatherworking, dragonscale crafting and fletching/bowery) and such. I use hilites for everything under the sun that i want to draw attention to such as aiming/firing/reload.
My statlets are designed to check my archery and sneaking skills. They check how strong the shot was, where it hits (head or neck, haven't botherd with others), shots fired, shots missed, and critical hits. The other statlets are times that monsters didnt notice me sneaking, or didnt notice me hiding. Besides telling me how effective my archery is, they allow me to reasonably predict when my next mastery will raise. (while they may have a bit of Icesus random generator included, the masteries i have checked all raise at predictible intervels.)
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

osma wrote:shots fired, shots missed
Slightly off topic, but this is now in "summary" (though not having to do summary to see the count is good obviously).
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Re: Mud Clients

Post by odovacar »

cadus wrote: I used to use AL Client a looong time ago too, but I doubt anyone's heard of that one.
I'm using AL client. It's not as feature rich as other clients, but I like the fact it doesn't require installation, which makes it a mud-client-on-a-stick.

Also used zmud and RoA client for a while, but gave them up for no specific reason. On linux I used tf and Kmuddy, which has a nice auto-completion feature.

Using multiple windows for tells/party/important channels, so that I dont miss important lines plus the usual hilites aliases triggers everybody uses (multiple sets for different guild reincs). And of course the quintessential alias for end of combat which slices/skins/buries/picks up coins/throwing knives/arrows/whatever to clean up after a kill.

Not much of book-keeping here, though I always thought I should take some time and do it.
darthalomus

Post by darthalomus »

I use Portal GT for windows.

I have yet to see some kind of scripting done in a different client that can't be accomplished with portal. Not to say there isn't one out there.

Portal is an open source client that has all the perks and pluses that I have seen in other clients with one major difference in portal they are user friendly.

One of it's major perks not found elsewhereis a built in automapper that works well on icesus with little to no changes to the mapping options. The automapper has speedwalking and will also record the directions from the speedwalks directly to an alias.

It's also nice to be able to record directions and actions directly to an alias from live play. Portal also has many other features some I don't use; like the different tell monitors ,built in note pad and graph paper generator. It has built in support for printing it's automapper maps as well as many other feature I have not seen elsewhere.

I have used AL client, Zmud, both linux clients from the downloads list on my linux machine, roa client, rapscalion for mac and some others that I can't even think of right now. All in my search for the ultimate mudding client that would combine power and ease of use.

Feel free to check it out just search for it on google you can get it and the source code from scottfairchilds gameaxle. If any of you try it out and have any questionss about how to do things from as simple as highliting and sound affect triggers or as complex as creating you own custom canvas with buttons sending in game values directly to them feel free to ask.

"OH YEAH I almost forgot it has a built in HPbar that can be setup to work with ICESUS."

The canvas can also be used for other things get creative. I haven't made any for my Icesus character. but in a different game I would use it to keep track of how many corpses I was holding and how many my minion was holding and what the total number available was.

Any way enough of a rant for now time to play a lil first person shooter. Hope to get to know you all better and find common ground.

EDITED: I was in hurry to play other games. I really should have taken the time to proofread it. When going back through it I was ACK I think I puked a couple times too. :D You were quite nice in your response I hope others find it easier to read now that it has been edited to some extent.
Last edited by darthalomus on Thu Jan 29, 2009 18:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

God, took a while to read darthalomus's text. Had to pause for vomiting and always start all over from beginning.

However, this Portal GT

What scripting language it uses?

Does it support all the aliases/variables/triggers/makros/keybindings/visual buttons etc that zmud has?
darthalomus

Post by darthalomus »

It does have aliases/variables/triggers/macros/keybindings/visual buttons.

It has been awhile since I have used Zmud but if memory serves it has more of all of those things.

I will go over them to some extent. There is an easy to use list for creating aliases which is pretty standard but it has a graphical interface for variable creation and maintenance as well.

The trigger system is quite advance allowing for use of functions variables and logical statements.

For macros/keybindings it allows at total of 43 F keycombinations and use of the entire numberpad for directional and a few other macros.
"NOTE:all of them are full customizable."

On the last note of visual buttons you can create your own buttons customizing size and colorof the buttons. The color of text and the size of the palate that the buttons are on. As for the amount of buttons you can have; I'm not sure if there is a maximum amount of buttons as I have only ever had need for 2-3 at a time.

I hope you found this helpful.