Problems and things that might need changing/fixing in game

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

Bless could use nerfing.

Also the general equipment loading could be tweaked. There
are lots of mobs that spawn (sometimes) with a shield being their only "weapon". These mobs are far too easy. At least the guards in Adroal have them and also outworld green-garbed men.

And since we are on the subject, why do dumb ogres wielding
a club in two hands still cast dart spells? :P etc.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
ndarr

Secondary character

Post by ndarr »

I really don't know what others think about secondary characters, but I really don't understand why there is a limit of 300mil for that? why not rather make it check e.g. the relation between your characters true age and how many creatures you've killed?? Or perhaps just the characters true age? (Yes there are a lof of old ppl's but weren't these inactive ones purged to give space for "new" ones?)

I admit, I like reincing and why shouldn't I, but frankly I'd like a fresh start without loosing my main character and without having to spend many years again with my pace to achieve that 300mils limit.

In other words, reward also those players that are not into hardcore exping, but are experienced players and enjoy other aspects of the game also.
goderic

Re: Secondary character

Post by goderic »

ndarr wrote:I really don't know what others think about secondary characters, but I really don't understand why there is a limit of 300mil for that? why not rather make it check e.g. the relation between your characters true age and how many creatures you've killed?? Or perhaps just the characters true age? (Yes there are a lof of old ppl's but weren't these inactive ones purged to give space for "new" ones?)

I admit, I like reincing and why shouldn't I, but frankly I'd like a fresh start without loosing my main character and without having to spend many years again with my pace to achieve that 300mils limit.

In other words, reward also those players that are not into hardcore exping, but are experienced players and enjoy other aspects of the game also.
I'll second that! 300m seems very high. Even 100m would be steep, IMHO. The minimum age (or time unidle?) or kills might be a bit better - or perhaps a combination of qualifying criteria?
frotz

Post by frotz »

Monk runes could use some attention. At the moment loading runes at higher level takes a lot of time and the new boot times didn't really help. Just having the runes load faster or maybe having main guild monks benefit from the monk_sec ability to load runes when meditating (to a lesser degree and in addition to loading them with moc. (someone tossed this idea in the monk channel a while back))
breg
Supporting Member 2008

Post by breg »

Ending "move silently" could take a little bit less time, since it shouldn't be too hard to stop doing it.. :wink:
iluth

Post by iluth »

Bowery could use a way to hunt specific branches, how can an experienced bowyer cut off a spruce branch when he is looking for yews? This would be extremely useful now people will want to waste extra time hunting down branches to make the new magical bows.

Being able to reload a bow while hunting would be really handy also. I love the swallowtail arrows, and being able to reload one to the bow while hunting a wyvern would be great. Instead of just using broadheads all the time, players could make tactical decisions about what type of arrow to use; stun powdered, poisoned, swallowtail or bodkin. It would also save a bit of time since we wouldn't have to reload before starting a hunt.

Hunt masteries were a nice add, but some of the mobs are ordered wrongly (thanks Echcua for adding those lovely panthers!) The only reason to hunt swamps is for the amount of skins they give, but as your mastery improves you no longer can hunt caiman and alligators anymore, getting only panthers. And that's only with moderate mastery. So you end up with worse exp and worse money as your mastery gets better. Literally everything I hunt comes as a panther now unless I get in a party to dilute my mastery.
pfloe
Supporting Member 2013

Post by pfloe »

Some more random stuff:
-fix ashul weapons. At this time of omgwtfbbq weaponspecials on pretty much every new top end weapon, the special on ashul weapon either needs a new msg (the caps really aren't that descriptive for the insignificant damage) or rather maybe uptune the damage to a noticeable level even if it means lowering the trigger chance. Also the blast via zap command doesn't give a msg to the target, and triggers contact reflexes so might be phys damage, dunno if it's on purpose or an oversight but it might be more logical if the POWERFUL BLAST was the same type as the damtype the weapon gains from levels.

-Since we've been in the process of streamlining various guilds to make room for the new open subs and lowering the amount of levels needed to max a guild, the ranger main could maybe lose 5 levels or so, bringing the max levels for full ranger to a more reasonable 65.

-the army overwhelm order seems to only have an instant effect. It'd be a lot more useful if the shout would make party members target the chosen enemy for multiple rounds, the exact duration might depend on the skills of the army member shouting, and the military discipline skill of each member.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

even more

Post by solar »

pfloe wrote:-the army overwhelm order seems to only have an instant effect. It'd be a lot more useful if the shout would make party members target the chosen enemy for multiple rounds, the exact duration might depend on the skills of the army member shouting, and the military discipline skill of each member.
Now that army is mentioned, I wonder if there's yet 100% military tactics for light and heavy infantry? Those could be a nice addition. Light infantry could make use of Moraq's fancy targeting/crit code and heavy infantry could have a stun or wound immunity tactic or something.

For newbies, a 0% common tactic like simple flanking-tactic that would allow them to raise their tactical mastermind at low levels would also be a nice addition. My suggestion for flank would be that it would only work in parties and it would have a passive effect for lowering avoid/dodge of a lone monster. If people are into a more fancier effect, let it improve fighting capabilities of a partymember in following way: tank at 1,1 would boost 1,3 front rower and vice versa. As an added bonus a flanking soldier could participate in 'encirclement' pack tactic of the gaesati! Being a 0% tactic, it would not be of any _real_ use, save for mastery acquirement until the soldier gets relentless assault etc.

People have mentioned evasive combat method-like stuff for other guilds as well to make it possible for parties to have a 'main tank' and harassers, but it would be neat to have a general 'fatassed combat method' skill that could be toggled at N% (where N is the desired effectlevel and not the trained skillmax, since the tank might not be able to withstand full effect of the skill) effectiveness by any partymember to draw more attention from the mob to themselves. This way the barrier-protected templar could draw more attention while the ranger would be virtually untouchable by melee hits. This could be a skill given to fighting guilds and heavy infantry army would be the only one to get it to 100%.

Grapples are something currently only wilders have, but it makes sense that other guilds could benefit from grapple-like tactics as well. The only/most suitable ones I can think of are the boring monks and some of the shapeshifter forms/tactics. Maybe shadowdancers could have a garrotte thing they could use instead of a backstab if they would so decide, and some serpent shifters could try to constrict mobs. A radical tune would be to make 'wishbone' pack tactic a real 'grapple' instead of what it currently is.

I understand that one needn't reinvent the wheel or even fix the wheel if it isn't broken, but even a bad idea can lead to a good outcome, so I prattle on anyway. Forgive me.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
eysenc
Supporting Member 2011

Post by eysenc »

W: be able to...

..use "monster" as target to cast spell at first monster in room like "kill monster" works. Number suffix could be used to determine monster if there's many ("cast/evoke x at monster 2" etc). Would help making aliases for casting.

..probe many targets at once with arguments like 'and' or ',' 'not' 'all' 'monsters'. (refering to all non-party members in room). For example "evoke psychic probe at x,y,z", "evoke psychic probe at monsters not x".

..use all channels, check masteries and integrity while meditating.

..dispel psi disciplines from other targets than caster too.

and

- PSP to show in party status.
- Switch command to handle more sets. Like 10 would be nice
solarin

Post by solarin »

I would like to see a spear special for centaurs similar to the one I seen while I was partying with a dwarf and his warhammer of the dwarven thanes, since centaurs have a bonus with spears I think that would be nice to have. Unless there is a weapon that already does this and I don't know of it. :|

I would also like templars be able to gain meditation at a lower level I can use alot of sp using element sequencer and divine rain of justice within a few minutes of each other and magic weakness is not a good thing for a melee type..
I won't get mad at you today, it's be kind to animals week.
yashod
Supporting Member 2018

Post by yashod »

Some sort of new healing system implemented, something that is less taxing for airpriests.

I'll give an example of how I do healing in normal exp-parties. I'll type party status (ps) about once every 2 seconds to get decent overview of the hitpoints of other party members. Then I mend flesh, starting from those with less hp's etc. So, I am typing something allmost all the time albeit most of them are done by aliases (sp, and mend flesh aliases for the front row).

Now, someone might ask, why do you check the party status all the time? The answer is simple, the text in combat rolls too quickly for most airpriests to respond and heal just based on the combat messages. It's crucial to get heals in quickly and it usually means button smashing which can be pretty monotonic and somewhat dull. I could verbose the combat messages so that the normal party reports would suffice but then it would get even more boring, not being able to check those nice combat messages but only checking out hp percentages and smashing 1,2 or 3.

I heard that some sort of channeling system is used in other games to heal the front row. Perhaps a similar system or a totally new one could be implemented to replace mend flesh + embrace of vitae -casting.
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

there are some quests that are worth adding to ere list, like some in cinder , shanty etc. usual agrument that i heard why they are not there is that they are kinda hidden. i can accept this concerning some fancy quests, but i can easily can count about 15-20 others that are not really hard and having them in ere list would make life of someone who is bored with exping more interesting. for me it looks like wizards who coded them just did not bother to include them to the list.

and there should be more guild quests imho. like joining some subs within the quild to require a certain quest completion
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

yashod wrote:Some sort of new healing system implemented, something that is less taxing for airpriests.

snip...

I heard that some sort of channeling system is used in other games to heal the front row. Perhaps a similar system or a totally new one could be implemented to replace mend flesh + embrace of vitae -casting.
I'll agree to this. No reason to have those offies/deffies getting all that free exp and loots.

I've got three ideas.

1.) New target for healers "most hurt x" or equivalent. With x being optional and specifying the row to concentrate on. So you could do "cast embrace of vitae at most hurt 1" to heal the most hurt tank or "cast embrace of vitae at most hurt" to heal anyone in the party. Having an optional "set" variable that would limit the % to heal with would be nice too. So you could do most hurt but if your percent is set to 90% and everyone is above that, then it wouldn't cast.

2.) Channeled healing similiar to sorcs (cast once don't do anything else) but you could switch targets... like a beam of healing or something. Cast Light of Pthuule. Then it starts ticking and you could stop it or change targets and it heals x amount per 2 to 3 rounds for y amount of sp.

3.) A heal-over-time spell. Anyone playing an MMORPG knows this. Cast a spell and it heals x amount of damage over y amount of rounds based upon skill/spell level.

There is a reason why healers get top spots in picking eq from trains, it's much more difficult than "cast arrow of fire" or "use strke" or idle tanking.
osma

Post by osma »

Ranger tunes and tweaks:
log of everburning is a spell that makes torches last longer, and is available at level 26 or so. meanwhile, extended vision lets you see farther into the light/dark spectrum without need for torches, and is gotten in the first 10 levels. Aka, it is mostly a waste of code.

Also a waste of code is mild poisons (or whatever) since i have made even medium and couldnt give them away to level 7 newbies. Likewise, i dont know anyone who actualy uses deadly poison (as in not instant deadly). Suggest that you either remove, or increase potancy (maybe longer duration then instant).

Medium healing salves; where to start. First, why is there not a strong healing salve? Second, while i understand that salves are supposed to be less effective/efficent then potions, i would like to note that 1-2 salves take up as much space as a container full of 20 potions... that isnt inefficiant, that is rediculous, especialy since they are very ineffective. At my current skills (which are the best a ranger can get without alchemy i believe) and 19 herbal lore mastery, my basic medium healing salve only heals around 66 hp. You could make medium healing salves 1.5x as effective (around 100 hp) and still be much less effective then potions because of weight and bulk alone. Suggest you add a strong healing salve that starts out at 150 hp and goes up from there, or increase effectivness of medium healing.

Alternativly, you could add strong healing and rather then make it more effective, make it an anti-poison. In other words, where poisons deal damage over time, strong healing salve would act like a poultice and heal you over time in bursts, effectivly like an additional fixed regen.

Herbal lore mastery i assume makes salves more effective, if not other things. However, i would like to see something along the lines of a crit message involved with herbal lore. Two examples would be that you would occasionaly see "Your expertiese in the mixing of herbs and oils allow you to make a much more effective mixture." which would be a quality improvement. Or you could see "...causes you to make much more of the mixture then normal" which would give you 2 salves rather then one.

P.s.: grow herb says in help something about a grow herbs spell (multiple herbs with one spell). This would be nice, with the number of additional herbs being determined by mastery, various herbalism skills, spell %, and spell % in the basic grow herb.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

osma wrote:Ranger tunes and tweaks:
log of everburning is a spell that makes torches last longer, and is available at level 26 or so. meanwhile, extended vision lets you see farther into the light/dark spectrum without need for torches, and is gotten in the first 10 levels. Aka, it is mostly a waste of code.

Also a waste of code is mild poisons (or whatever) since i have made even medium and couldnt give them away to level 7 newbies. Likewise, i dont know anyone who actualy uses deadly poison (as in not instant deadly). Suggest that you either remove, or increase potancy (maybe longer duration then instant).

Medium healing salves; where to start. First, why is there not a strong healing salve? Second, while i understand that salves are supposed to be less effective/efficent then potions, i would like to note that 1-2 salves take up as much space as a container full of 20 potions... that isnt inefficiant, that is rediculous, especialy since they are very ineffective. At my current skills (which are the best a ranger can get without alchemy i believe) and 19 herbal lore mastery, my basic medium healing salve only heals around 66 hp. You could make medium healing salves 1.5x as effective (around 100 hp) and still be much less effective then potions because of weight and bulk alone. Suggest you add a strong healing salve that starts out at 150 hp and goes up from there, or increase effectivness of medium healing.

Alternativly, you could add strong healing and rather then make it more effective, make it an anti-poison. In other words, where poisons deal damage over time, strong healing salve would act like a poultice and heal you over time in bursts, effectivly like an additional fixed regen.

Herbal lore mastery i assume makes salves more effective, if not other things. However, i would like to see something along the lines of a crit message involved with herbal lore. Two examples would be that you would occasionaly see "Your expertiese in the mixing of herbs and oils allow you to make a much more effective mixture." which would be a quality improvement. Or you could see "...causes you to make much more of the mixture then normal" which would give you 2 salves rather then one.

P.s.: grow herb says in help something about a grow herbs spell (multiple herbs with one spell). This would be nice, with the number of additional herbs being determined by mastery, various herbalism skills, spell %, and spell % in the basic grow herb.
how about make first aid skill % effect on your salves efficiency.
Make it learnable by doing by applying healing/poison removal salves. And maybe even attach a small chance for revive to raise too when salves are used. This could give ranger some spice as an additional healer to party, and as the cpr which is needed if someone goes unconcious :) Would spice things up a bit if with first aid skill % high you actually could heal people.
(the effect could be far larger when used on others than yourself, so it would not boost solorates that much)

Could be cool to see rangers cross healing each other with salves and going exping as just ranger duo

Just another idea while being totally high and got nothing to do at home.