Problems & things that might need attention vol. 2

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

iluth

Re: shifter spice up

Post by iluth »

andr wrote:What do you think about such an idea to spice up the shifters:

Wounded:
1) More damage on wounded spots (depends on graveness)
2) Improve wound: improves the existent wound state
I think tweaking wounds in general would be a good thing, not just for shifters.

As it is now, getting wounded isn't really dangerous, it's just a pain in the ass. Unless of course you don't have any first aid skills, which is just a plain bad idea and inexcusable nowdays with profession levels.

And wounding mobs is equally useless, unless you are making repeated runs at it. For normal exping purposes, the mob will die before it even bleeds once after it receiving a wound, even a really bad one. Those bad and fatal wounds should tick a lot faster, to somehow represent just how bad and fatal they are.

If simply buffing wounds is a problem, having a skill to enhance wound damage like you mentioned would be great.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Re: woundstuff

Post by solar »

iluth wrote:Stuff about wounds
If I were to tune wounds, here's what I would possibly consider doing:

Have wounds, in addition to normal tick damage:

a) Lessen monster's general natural armour somewhat correlating to wound amount and severity: One minor wound = 1 point, two fatals = 10 points etc. This would be more beneficial against more powerful monsters, since they stay alive long enough for the wounds to accumulate and work their now-tuned magic.

b) Have them act like physical version of soul phthisis to targeted physical bodypart damage, if the code allows it: Should the monster have a nasty wound in its left arm, hitting that left arm with an attack that deals physical damage would cause the wound to deliver damage to the monster correlating to the wound's severity. Combat maneuvers targeting the wounded bodypart with their fancy stuff could deal increased damage (much like archery does now). As monsters take quite a many of low-power hits usually, this bonus would not be high enough to cause moaning or writhing. If code is limited in bodypart specific stuff, something more general, like suggested in entry a)

or

b) Have abilities of a wounded target debilitated according to wound location: A leg wound would lower avoid score of the monster, an arm wound would lower parry / natural weapon damage etc. Complicated and arduous to code, considering that there are many different bodyparts, some of which are only available to manually coded races (N heads of hydra, three tails of bavolorus etc) but haa! I'm just suggesting the ideas - implementation, if any, is the coder's headache!

These suggestions would make player wounds more deadlier, too.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
osma

Post by osma »

i agree with both of solar's first two ideas. either making wounds lower a target's armor (overall or just a bit more damage on that slot) or making special attacks like strike or furious assualt do more damage to wounds (basicly same thing archery does) sounds like reasonable ideas.

after all, if you cut open someone's stomach, then kick them in the stomach, it hurts just a bit more then just a normal kick.
durmuk
Supporting Member 2012

Post by durmuk »

One more idea for gaesati: Able to use gaesati regeneration (ie licking etc) on other gaesati. Minor tweak and helps on regen. Makes partying easier and helps little bit on gaesati's not able to make campfire.
daic
Supporting Member 2015

Post by daic »

durmuk wrote:One more idea for gaesati: Able to use gaesati regeneration (ie licking etc) on other gaesati. Minor tweak and helps on regen. Makes partying easier and helps little bit on gaesati's not able to make campfire.
If this comes true, all gaesatis will be licking eachother in darkness...
Little Orcs, Burarum!
They come with axes, they come with fire, gnawing, biting, burning hacking, breaking!
Destroyers and usurpers curse them!
durmuk
Supporting Member 2012

Post by durmuk »

daic wrote:
durmuk wrote:One more idea for gaesati: Able to use gaesati regeneration (ie licking etc) on other gaesati. Minor tweak and helps on regen. Makes partying easier and helps little bit on gaesati's not able to make campfire.
If this comes true, all gaesatis will be licking eachother in darkness...
Yes... me likes :P
osma

Post by osma »

The following involves two skills that have used (although not extensivly on the first, and a long time ago on the second) and have found to, more or less, suck.

First, the slinging skill. The skill takes a long time to use, does basicly no damage, and dosen't seem to help any masteries that effect ranged weapons (like projectile mastery).

First, i have tried it all the way to 17%, and the skill has never gone off in less then 15 seconds. It usually takes at least 18. This makes it horrible for hunting, and any mob that moves quickly will probably move before you get there. This could be fixed either to make every 5% or so speed it up by a second, or add in a skill that works like focus of a marksman that speeds it up.

Second, while I know that my secondary (the one using the skill) has low str and dex, it is silly to have the skill do so little damage. at 17%, the skill only tends to drop a 800 exp mob down to nigs. The damage needs to be signifigantly ramped up, or it needs to again, have another skill like foam that fixes the damage problem. (i assume no such skill exsists since slinging goes up somewhat slowly, and even so i still haven't gotten an increase in anything other then slinging)

Finaly, slinging does not effect projectile masteries. Either that, or, because the skill goes off so slowly, i haven't gotten enough shots off to make a diffrence.

The other skill that does not work well is Trapping. This skill used to be ok. You could catch monsters that were anywhere from moles up to mooses in a spiked pit trap, and the trap would last a good long time. Then a wiz who shall not be named was nice enough to recode the entire skill so that we could have masteries. Now the pit traps dont last more then a few hours, the so called trapping masteries take so F-ING long that you give up before you even get beyond a few letters of Useless, and even with high trapping, ranger trap masteries, and good camo, you make bad pit traps about 50% of the time. And that is not even going into traps like log traps which do good damage (supposidly) but not only take so long to make one, but it goes away after one use. (cut down a log, drag it to where you want unless trapping in a forest, pull it up with ropes, actualy make the trap, and when a monster shows up, the whole trap goes away).

A) Scrap the current trapping masteries and replace them with something simular to hunting masteries (specific traps rather then terrain, and the normal insignifigant,inferior, ect rather then one letter at a time) or just speed up the currently masteries a LOT so that you don't have to do 50 traps and/or catch/kill 100 monsters just to get one letter of useless.

B)Make ranger mastery (Deceitful contraptions) either do something specific (some obvious bonus, maybe a higher exp bonus then normal go off occasionaly when you check the trap, that becomes more common the higher the mastery) or make it a general bonus and make it go up more easily (got trapping masteries up 10 letters in various types of traps and only have 7 ranger mastery).

C) Make it possible to set conditions on traps, simular but not equal to hunting. For example, traps like rope, snare, or pit traps could be set to certin sizes. If you made a small one, you would get stuff like moles and boars (for small players). Medium would get stuff like deer and wolves. Larger ones would be bears and horses. This would make it easier for small players to be less likely to get mobs too big for them, and bigger players to get sucky moles or lemmings.

D) Fix steel and iron traps to set more quickly. These traps are great for ambush, but they are both heavy (making them inconvient) and they set slowly, which is silly. Unless you are weak, it does not take a lot of time to open up a iron trap, even being careful. It takes prob twice as long in game to set a iron trap then it would in real life (i assume). Likewise, pit traps should last longer, or be quicker to set. Yes it takes a long time to dig a hole. It also takes a long time for a hole to completly fall in. Make pit traps either take longer to fall in, or be fixable like camps (spend 30 seconds to "reset" the trap, cleaning up the sides and replacing the camo).

E) In referance to above, Ambush is at the moment just stupid. Unless it was fixed since i bothered to try it, it takes around a min+, to set a iron/steel trap. Then you ambush a monster. over 50% of the time it fails, even with high trapping, move silently, hide in shadows and high camo. If you fail, and can move silently, you can try again. But not only does it take alot of ep to ambush, but usually if you fail the first time, the likelihood of it working a second (or even third, forth or fifth time) seems to be very low. (Once I tried to to ambush a bear. Worked perfectly the first time. Then i found another bear, same type, that i could not ambush 7 times in a row). If you cannot correctly ambush a monster, then you have to remove the trap or jsut leave it there. Many times, you damage yourself badly, only to have the freaking trap break. Ambush needs to vastly improve in odds, or needs to be more closely tied to associated skills.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

Another important thing regarding the traps, if someone walks into the room, the trap is gone, doesn't matter if they blunder into it or notice it. I would suggest having something that makes people aware of a trap that wouldn't alert the animal, if there has to be some sort of reason why players should be able to avoid most hunting traps, with the capacity to make a trap that doesn't have that if you want to hurt players. Probably some other things needed, but its late and I'm stupid with exhaustion.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

traps

Post by solar »

Traps were indeed really nice back in 2001, even without ambush or masteries. You could make like 6 pit traps even with 0 skill and you would get alerted when one of them attracts a mob. They would last for a fortnight if you were lucky and trap check was doable even if the mob was still in the trap!

From these nostalgic bits, even if only the added duration for traps would be reimplemented then they could be even remotely worth using.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
durmuk
Supporting Member 2012

Gaesati

Post by durmuk »

I am pondering on reincing back to shifter and see that there has been no changes to shifters in long time. Few suggestions:

Some way that shifter take little less damage (ie weapon parry equilevant or something). They take way too much damage compared that their damage is nothing special.

Please remove or do something to insane level requirements. I have nothing against training skills/spells that are usefull for level requirements but in gaesati you have to spend too much exp for skills that don't help you at all. First 4x form skills to 75 and later on master guilds to 85%.

Maybe raise some skillmaxes in some offensive skills (find weakness etc)

And lastly is there any ETA for last aspects? :D

Now it seems that gaesati is just suckier version of army. No weapon parry, Not as good skillmaxes in offensive skills etc etc. Just plainly make litle less damage and take WAY more damage. Well i am gonna go back in two weeks time but that is just me. Some love for animals please.
durmuk
Supporting Member 2012

Post by durmuk »

Couple of things about monks. There is something wrong with body of steel since it gives same amount of natural armor atleast on level 2,3 and 4 (insignificant). The amount of damage monks especially hand-monks take is insane. I think would be great oif body of steel would be fixed that would help that a bit.

Also gem drain of motion is really high. Partying is really hard gem goes down fast... Maybe new mastery to affect gem drain/speed you can meditate it back?
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

Monks do have a mastery that lowers the drain and decreases the charge time, though I don't know how effective it actually is.

For shifters, unarmed scions, and hand monks, I'd like to suggest unarmed parry: a skill that is roughly equivalent to block, in that it lowers the damage a great deal but doesn't stop it entirely like the weapon and shield parries. Since it is unarmed, it would be logical that it still takes some damage.

Oh, and body of steel level 5 and whatever you called the maxed one, level 6 probably both give minor natural armor.