Problems & things that might need attention vol. 2

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

darthalomus

Post by darthalomus »

The greatest reward I can think of is the one who doesn't just go away and becomes a life long friend.

For some players helping people is it's own reward. I agree with belannaer there should be no reward it defeats the purpose.

I don't think being a newbie helper means throwing eq and money at people. Although that can be very helpful and was very generous of you. I think it is the long lasting friendships that are created from treating someone with respect and helping them because it is the right thing to do that will inspire other players to stay and see icesus for what it is.
Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean people aren't really trying to get me.
uzriel
Supporting Member 2009

Post by uzriel »

belannaer wrote: I don't think guiding them through the whole game while holding their hand is required. More like having an easy way to find out if any newbie helpers are currently online and unidle so they have someone to turn if something troubles them and they need advice. So being a newbie helper would be much more about just answering their questions and giving advice.
I agree with this. If we're "only" talking about answering general questions and so on there is no need for rewards.

However, i still think it would be nice if higher level players were to help lower players to get exp/money/etc also, it's not easy finding a party at low levels. I think this is one of the reasons new players get tired - without any parties your progression early in the game will be rather slow.
pidzer

Post by pidzer »

belannaer wrote:
uzriel wrote:If we are to have a working system for helping new players there just has to be proper rewards for it. It just takes to much time and investments in helping someone getting started.
I don't think guiding them through the whole game while holding their hand is required. More like having an easy way to find out if any newbie helpers are currently online and unidle so they have someone to turn if something troubles them and they need advice. So being a newbie helper would be much more about just answering their questions and giving advice.
I might also suggest adding some kind of 'newbie box'

Perhaps one that would only allow items of a certain calibur to be donated. No glowing items etc. Just so a fresh noob could equip themselves fully.
uzriel
Supporting Member 2009

Post by uzriel »

pidzer wrote:I might also suggest adding some kind of 'newbie box'

Perhaps one that would only allow items of a certain calibur to be donated. No glowing items etc. Just so a fresh noob could equip themselves fully.
We already have this. It's called donation boxes.
pidzer

Post by pidzer »

uzriel wrote:
pidzer wrote:I might also suggest adding some kind of 'newbie box'

We already have this. It's called donation boxes.
No offense, but you don't already have these.

What you currently have, as viewed in vaerlon is: You must be a dwarf, worship fire and be a member of wilder to get things
from this box.

Furthermore, the box is full of glowing items. Sure, they're helpful, but no newb starting out has the money to resize a set of that.

I'm talking about a donation box, specicaly meant for players between levels 1-5ish, that contain a set of equipable and realisticaly resizable items.

the current donation box... you have to be an elf, leading a mule that's tied, equiped with saddlebags and you have to have 5000 wis and be a member of the kkk, or you're sol. Not very newbie friendly imho.

Not many newbies are gonna meet the current donation box's pre-requisite to borrow/take from it. If any at all.

You would/could also have to add some type of limiter on how many items could be borrowed by a specific player. That way some greedy noob doesn't come along and take/sell everything.
Last edited by pidzer on Fri Jan 30, 2009 19:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uzriel
Supporting Member 2009

Post by uzriel »

It's up to the player setting up the donation box to set the rules of who can pick.
pidzer

Post by pidzer »

uzriel wrote:It's up to the player setting up the donation box to set the rules of who can pick.
Nod. I understand that.

Again. I'm talking about an admin coded box, specificaly designed for noobs.

Player boxes are great and all, but not reliable or dependable.
zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

Perhaps a new sub-topic for your discussion should be made.

Soloarchers could use a uptune since neckshots now do less damage. Uptune sniping a bit. You do get assassinate from the Mounted Archery subguild, but it's only usable on animals. But it's great if you have sniping.

Maybe go back to the old resist system, sort of. But make the cap be 75%. Undead players maybe have a higher cap for poisons and the likes.

And natural armor is now better than the old physical resistance was. We have defs with over good natural armor. That's a HUGE damage reduction and "forces" the best defs to be either a cancun or antaeun.

That's about it. More exp areas would be nice. :P
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
solar
Supporting Member 2020

my two cents

Post by solar »

zohlor wrote:Maybe go back to the old resist system, sort of. But make the cap be 75%. Undead players maybe have a higher cap for poisons and the likes.

And natural armor is now better than the old physical resistance was. We have defs with over good natural armor. That's a HUGE damage reduction and "forces" the best defs to be either a cancun or antaeun.
I'd tweak that resist would still have a percentual fixed reduction, and some direct point-by-percent related resistance, and a small chance to get a current random booster.

So, first of all, a check would be made to see how much you resist the attack (current system), let's say, equal chance of your resistance score, so 40% with 40 resistance etc.

If the check succeeds, you'd get preconversion resistance (1% per 1%) after which a 1 point per 1% of your resistance would be subracted:

Code: Select all

formula:
Incoming_damage*((100-resistance)/100))-resistance, where resistance is the value of your resist X. If the check fails, then the percentual resistance would be lower etc.
And yeah, add necessary balancing coefficients of 0.5 etc to the formula and you'd get a system where even low percentages do something, but the higher are not that abusable if that's what we're after.

Personally I'd not see resistances get capped below 100%, but that's just abusing old me. The healing effect of above 100% resistance (preconv) was abusable, however and should not be accessible. From dev point of view, like eq and eqmob specials, the resist scores of players should still go over 100, even though the effect gets capped at that said number.[/code]
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
brich

Post by brich »

No offense, but you don't already have these.

What you currently have, as viewed in vaerlon is: You must be a dwarf, worship fire and be a member of wilder to get things
from this box.

Furthermore, the box is full of glowing items. Sure, they're helpful, but no newb starting out has the money to resize a set of that.

I'm talking about a donation box, specicaly meant for players between levels 1-5ish, that contain a set of equipable and realisticaly resizable items.

the current donation box... you have to be an elf, leading a mule that's tied, equiped with saddlebags and you have to have 5000 wis and be a member of the kkk, or you're sol. Not very newbie friendly imho.

Not many newbies are gonna meet the current donation box's pre-requisite to borrow/take from it. If any at all.

You would/could also have to add some type of limiter on how many items could be borrowed by a specific player. That way some greedy noob doesn't come along and take/sell everything.
That said donation box is mine and it used to have no restriction. Over a few weeks there was a guy who kept getting absolutely everything from the box so I had to get control over it. Now I check who every now and then and talk to newcomers so I can adjust the requirements for them, they get what they need and change back to the "wilder, worshiping fire" condition :D

Sadly, donation box can only be accessed by players under level 20 anyway so Pidzer doesnt get anything anyway.

Indeed, some limit to how much or many can a certain player take from donation box is badly needed.

Also giving some df or a random buff for an hour to people donating would make it a more interesting activity.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

brich wrote:Indeed, some limit to how much or many can a certain player take from donation box is badly needed.

Also giving some df or a random buff for an hour to people donating would make it a more interesting activity.
Better, wizard made and handled boxes could be probably made that had better limitations and that would resize the item for the newbie who takes it out of the box. Also it could have a "sacrifice" option in for people who donate who could get for example same amount of df from the item that they would get from sacrificing the item or something similar.
suron

Post by suron »

Talking about newbie-friendliness...

One thing that has always bothered me is the fact the party shares discriminate smaller players so much that it's "better" to solo than party even with midbies. I would really like some tweak for the party share system to actually allow newbies to gain exp with midbie/highbie parties, not only would it be a nice tour around the realms for the newbie if larger players took newbies to parties. This, however, isn't likely to happen as long as the highbies "lose" their precious party shares, unless they benefit from it some other way. One way to do this would be increasing minimum party shares, no player would recieve under 10-15% party shares for example, allowing over 100% total party shares in large parties. I think this would promote larger exp parties in general.
pidzer

Post by pidzer »

brich wrote:Sadly, donation box can only be accessed by players under level 20 anyway so Pidzer doesnt get anything anyway.
I can has cookie?
belannaer wrote:Better, wizard made and handled boxes could be probably made that had better limitations and that would resize the item for the newbie who takes it out of the box. Also it could have a "sacrifice" option in for people who donate who could get for example same amount of df from the item that they would get from sacrificing the item or something similar.
I can only think of one word to describe this idea. 'perfect'

suron wrote:Talking about newbie-friendliness...

One thing that has always bothered me is the fact the party shares discriminate smaller players so much that it's "better" to solo than party even with midbies. I would really like some tweak for the party share system to actually allow newbies to gain exp with midbie/highbie parties, not only would it be a nice tour around the realms for the newbie if larger players took newbies to parties. This, however, isn't likely to happen as long as the highbies "lose" their precious party shares, unless they benefit from it some other way. One way to do this would be increasing minimum party shares, no player would recieve under 10-15% party shares for example, allowing over 100% total party shares in large parties. I think this would promote larger exp parties in general.
The current party limitation is on par.

Let's take an example of equal divvy, regardless of level. This will be a bit extreme of course.

Let's say party shares are equal, regardless of level, or total exp worth.

So a lvl 1 noob groupls with a 90 level <whatever> The highbie decides to go kill a 1mil class mob (not that they exist on icesus. Yet!)

The noob then gets 500k exp? Not very realistic imo. Earning your keep is a must in a party.

Now... I think that exp should be shared based on total exp worth and not level, but that's a bit different than a brand new player grouping up with some old fart.
torvus

Post by torvus »

Total worth is what the share is based on.
goderic

Post by goderic »

I understand your CHA score has some influence on party share too.

Pidzer, 1M exp mobs exist, but never mind. U can has cheezburger.

Still, point taken, big players can eat the biggest share of a party's exp. Fair enough, they can contribute more. They generally lead, know more areas and how to play them. Perhaps the party share should be based on the damage each player does in each kill? Oh yeah, healers, right... damn.