humans, the other white meat

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

humans, the other white meat

Post by khade »

I have a question about humans that I've never been able to get a useful answer on the channels, so I'm going to put it here.

Humans have educe, which allows them to lower the cost of one stat by one at two points, at level 10 and level 25, with that in mind, do you get better stats from getting just enough advance points to get to the first educe, use it and then get just enough for the next one and use it, then get the rest of your advance points or do you get the same stats if you get the total amount of advance points you will need and then educe as you get to the levels, assuming of course, that you get the same levels, train the same stats and choose the same stats to educe?

In other words, is it the same or not?
douhnin
Supporting Member 2011

Post by douhnin »

It shouldn't be the same if, when advancing, the stats act according to their new, and improved, value.

Logically, you would fare better to get the minimum amount of advancement points needed to educe the first time, level and educe, then get enough for the second.. level and educe, then finish getting advancement points.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

It could be that it equalizes once you get an advance point after using educe, but I've never tested that.

If it does give you more stats if you use educe properly, then shifters are broken, and not in a good way. They are enough of a pain to get to all the parts, just to get the first educe would require going to the mainguild and one subguild, getting the second is easier, as you could get it at the third subguild, assuming it's a form subguild.
I think it should be changed so that if you have enough total worth that you should be able to get 10 levels, you would be able to get the first educe, and if you have enough total worth to get 25 levels, you would be able to educe the second time, but that would probably end with a much higher stat boost then expected. Humans need some work in this game regardless, I think.
douhnin
Supporting Member 2011

Post by douhnin »

Humans could just be altered in a way that allows customization from the beginning.

Humans are described as being versatile, though not the most proficient when compared to other races.
Why not truly make them versatile? During reincarnation, after the point at which the player chooses human as their race, the player could be allowed two changes to the human's base stats.
The first change could represent the primary stat and could be altered by two, while a secondary stat could be altered by one.

Example:
Human stat modifiers: (Base/Altered)
Str : 6 | Str : 4 (Primary stat selection (+2))
Dex: 6 | Dex: 5 (Secondary stat selection (+1))
Con: 6 | Con: 6
Wis: 6 | Wis: 6
Int : 6 | Int : 6
Cha: 6 | Cha: 6

The alterations to stats would be effective prior to reincarnation completion.
Any advancement points bought would act according to the new modifiers, thus somewhat improving a humans stats in a way that correlates with the path of their choosing.
i.e. Wis/Int for a caster type, Str/Dex-Str/Con for the melee types.

Not a huge boost or game altering change, but would allow customization and make humans a bit more appealing.

Note: This would completely replace the racial "Educe" feature!
Last edited by douhnin on Thu Oct 28, 2010 08:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I like that idea. One thing of note, that is actually considerably better then what they get right now, but more in line with other races.
goderic

Post by goderic »

Just wanted to say just how much I like Douhnin's idea. A neat tidy-up, saves a lot of hassle and doesn't overpower the race in any way.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

This is a decent idea, but human is already a great race, do not see a reason for huge uptunes.

Human really just does not get the chance to shine as no one generally cares about exprates of races. If there would be bigger differences between exprates of races, i'd say human would be a fairly popular selection for many.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

I smell hunams!

Post by solar »

Human is the basic mould, to which race_shadows get applied to, to form the other races. From what I've understood, this is also why only humans can become shapeshifters and not dwarves etc - might make the code go BOOM.

This might make it problematic to tune humans in one way or another.

Or not.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

The only problem I have with humans right now is that it's hard to use them to their full potential without lots of work, if it were easier to use educe and still get the full bonus it give to stats, I wouldn't see any need to mess with them.

My idea is to have the system keep track of which stat was educed first and which was second and at the next advance point, if you didn't get them at the earliest point possible, it adds the points you should have gotten, so someone can get all the advance points they need for levels or whatever and then educe when they have time and the proper levels, with just a bit more work to get the full stats. Actually, I haven't verified that this isn't what is done yet, though I have tried, it's hard to get just the amount of advance points needed for a low level without messing it up.

I always thought the gaesati were just human because it was an interesting idea and humans needed more support.