Becoming a Wizard

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

allanon

Becoming a Wizard

Post by allanon »

Yes, it's everyone's favorite [s]elephant[/s] mammoth in the room: lack of new Wizards.

There is some old documentation, both in-game and on the website/forums, that kind of sort of gives an idea of how one becomes a Wizard. There have also been rumours about certain players applying to be new Wizards, but not getting a response or something like that.

So I thought I'd put the question out in the open, where everyone can see it, and where future players (I'm optimistic) who are interested can come and see the answer.

How does one become a Wizard?

I'm not talking about just a dev coder; I mean the full-blown thing, the "I'm sacrificing my mortal character to code for others" deal. The kind of person who can really make some meaningful changes to this game, and maybe even save it from extinction, at least temporarily.

Because we all know it: that's where we're headed. We might even be there already. But if postponing the inevitable means even one more day of fun on Aegic, then I want potential applicants to have that chance, and be fully informed of what they're getting themselves into.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

You apply for dev and tell that you would like to become a full wizard. You need to make an area (or other project) and show that you have skill/enthusiasm/knowledge to be an actual wizard. You don't really need to be the best coder ever to do it if you are interested in learning and have good ideas.

If you can show that you are good enough then it's more or less convincing me (and other wizards) that you are trustworthy enough to be wizzed. If I don't know the person at all or only thing I know about him is him saying some stupid stuff in the chat his chances aren't really high on become a wiz. This one is really difficult step to get over for most of the people.

Also the game isn't going to go anywhere. It runs just fine without much effort from anyone and if something doesn't radically change (one of the key members gets hit by a car or something) it's going to be running for years into the future. Progress might be slow at times (like when both me and Zaltaiz are on vacation/taking some time off for ourselves) but there will be some every now and then always. I'm also online practically 365 days of the year watching from the shadows that everything is going smoothly. Wizards donate their free time so that you guys can enjoy the game and they get absolutely no compensation of any kind in return so progress happens when they feel like doing something.

But more wizards would be really nice thing to have.
dracu
Supporting Member 2017

Post by dracu »

Not so serious reply, but...

Belannaer wrote:
If I don't know the person at all or only thing I know about him is him saying some stupid stuff in the chat his chances aren't really high on become a wiz.
Do you count anonymous channel aswell? :D
Embracing the darkness is the only solution to this madness.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

the compendsation is 10k df 1100000silver or the exp...

Post by solar »

belannaer wrote:Wizards donate their free time so that you guys can enjoy the game and they get absolutely no compensation of any kind in return
There are refreshments and occasional foodstuffs available at the annual Jää ry meeting, don't forget that! I saw you guzzling down those carrot/tomato juices and eating those dry tasteless coffeebreads in 2005 (or was it 2006?)! And didn't someone boast about free mexican food a while ago!

That's like, two instances of something that could maybe be interpreted as compensation, and with only like seven years in between them!

...and this is not entirely intended as a snide comment, merely to illustrate that they don't really get any compensation, other than their regular diet of daily whine and uptune requests on wanted :P
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
belannaer
Wizard

Re: the compendsation is 10k df 1100000silver or the exp...

Post by belannaer »

solar wrote:
belannaer wrote:Wizards donate their free time so that you guys can enjoy the game and they get absolutely no compensation of any kind in return
There are refreshments and occasional foodstuffs available at the annual Jää ry meeting, don't forget that! I saw you guzzling down those carrot/tomato juices and eating those dry tasteless coffeebreads in 2005 (or was it 2006?)! And didn't someone boast about free mexican food a while ago!

That's like, two instances of something that could maybe be interpreted as compensation, and with only like seven years in between them!

...and this is not entirely intended as a snide comment, merely to illustrate that they don't really get any compensation, other than their regular diet of daily whine and uptune requests on wanted :P
Everyone who was at the last Jää Ry meeting got free texmex food more than they could eat and free drinks!