Something wrong? Something missing? Suggest!

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

belannaer
Wizard

Something wrong? Something missing? Suggest!

Post by belannaer »

Is something wrong in the game and should be changed and fixed? Is some feature missing that you would like to see? While idea command is good way to suggest stuff I think this way might be better for it. I don't want your ideas like "guild xyz would be cool!", there's an idea forum for them. I'm more interested in stuff like is there some problem that new players face when starting out the game, are mid-level having some issues with some things that could be maybe changed etc. or some features that might be missing which would help and benefit the mud greatly.

Also please do not discuss about suggested things in this topic, open an another topic for discussion about that particular subject or do so in-game so this topic won't get cluttered with comments and derailed.
andr

shard recovery

Post by andr »

I feel that it would greatly improve fun for beginners/midbies
if there would be a service (e.g. at enchanter) of recovering a shard from a piece of equipment.
It is classical in many RPGs, the de-sharded eq is destroyed and, of course, the service should not be too cheap: e.g. proportional to the cost of the item.

If you like the idea, another twist can be added. A profession guild
(say crystal crafters) which allows to make empty shards needed in recovery process. The higher shard level a player want to recover, the better quality empty shard is needed. As a fun feature, a certain mastery can allow a small percent of making a non-empty random shard.
drakken

Gaesati

Post by drakken »

Few suggestions about shifters:

Fire cats special hit where flames licking out of your body needs damage uptune, especially the inferno special

Chameleontic lightning-serpent needs to have resistance to lightning.. even green serpent has that, but lightning does not

Barbs from ironshred behemoth need to wound mobs

Regenerate command should now check both hp and ep before stopping since we can try to regenerate some ep when hibernation kicks in.
fil

Post by fil »

This is in the Something Wrong category, but I don't have any good suggestions for it.

When I first started here I was asked to many parties. I thought this was great. However generally very quickly after I joined I got quizzed up and down about if I already had a "recruiter". When the party leader found out that I would not be willing to add them as a recruiter, I was dumped pretty quickly at Ereldon. Some other party leaders did it in a longer fashion, after 3-4 parties, but it continued to happen. This left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I would have left if not for the other qualities of the game which I have found unique and have enjoyed.
marcos

all guilds

Post by marcos »

As I was going through my I-can't-decide-which-guild-is-for-me phase I started asking old players if they did stay in the same guild for a long time answer: "no"
So I thought that why do I need to stay with the same guild to make exp enough so that I can see if I like it.... really it still is frustrating to not be able to find a guild you can have fun with from levels 5-35. It is really difficult because you need to know what you are doing, and if you do like a guild that is melee first, and then you change to an all Wis guild E.G Water Priests then you CANNOT use all of your already wasted skill points. So me thinks:
1) A way for newbies ages 1-14 days old or some hour limit... to be able to try all guilds without any real tax. Or something alike that....
2) Money is not the problem so why not be able to clear all your 'guilds' stats if you want to change paths and get it as free exp, you'll have to repay & maybe even pay more, but I think if you have a lot of exp in other stats E.G 4M on str and 2M in charisma and your guild uses Dex and Wis maybe you want to re-distribute that. Ps: even if you are going to use all of them later Is more efficient IMO to have the power over where you want to put it at early levels
3) Last but not least a way to see that you are doing something right with your masteries ... Like really WP specially is really odd to advance, I know they pay off but really? Leaning for about 1 day for all of them!
drakken

Archers

Post by drakken »

Noticed some higher level archers like to carry multiple bows with them.. I'm thinking it would be nice for them if there was a misc slot item such as a bow carrier or bow sling to hold their extra bows in.
fil

Post by fil »

Another "Something Wrong" item.

As a very new player, I found it very hard to find areas that I could solo on my own (I'm in the US so partying, especially at lvls 1-20, is generally out). Often the areas where I could actually kill stuff (rat warehouse, both newbie farms, etc) were wiped out by higher level players practicing masteries, throwing, or archery.

Maybe there could be limits on which areas masteries/lbd could be done in. Otherwise, maybe provide an area like the craftsman workbench where people are encouraged to specifically go to practice?
goderic

Post by goderic »

Just thinking of ways to make the game a little more friendly to absolute beginners.
Perhaps neww players, on completing the trainer session and entering the game properly, should begin in the adventurers' guild and not the inn? And on the subject, perhaps adv guilds could be made safe logout rooms? This might make beginning the game for the first time a little more intuitive. Maybe.

Also, may I suggest adding exp requirements to some (many?) guilds to join? This would prevent newbies joining totally inappropriate guilds without the exp to make anything of them and hence mucking up their reincs. I'd suggest everything except army, mage, ranger, wilder and air priest have a minimum of 1.5m totals, some guilds (like sorcs) quite a bit more. Hopefully that'll stop level 1 monks not being able to even get to their guild to advance, for instance!
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Not enough defs to support playing pure casters.
Not enough partying.

This is a many fold problem, since if you make a build that depends on other players to really work, you end up shafted when you cannot get into any parties, which therefore encourages builds that you can play by yourself whenever you choose to log on and play. And you end up soloing, instead of partying anyways, although recent treasure tunes make partying more appealing. And when enough players do solo playing, it affects your chances of finding a party.

Another problem is that the current game world cannot really support that many lvl 100s running around at the same time. More popular areas will be totally ravaged even with solo offs, let alone a party.

Some way of making defs more popular would be appreciated, but that's really a difficult matter. I suppose getting rid of the idle tune (by which I don't mean the exp gain becoming 0 after 15min of idleness, but rather that defensive abilities get shafted after 10 minutes of idleness) would help to some degree, so they would at least support casters even if they get 0 exp for being dragged around.

Also, consider downtuning everything back to the stone age - character powerlevels have gotten a bit out of hand, imho.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
ity

Post by ity »

I suggest some form of "hire"able mobs for low level players to act as party members to help low level players get exp. Set it so it can only be purchased by level =<40 or even if possible set it by total worth, like =<100m worth and cannot join a party with more than one member. Set its power to something akin to a level 25-30 player. Offer either caster mercenary, defense mercenary or melee offense mercenary. This will provide party for low level characters to help them out. Solo is the worst at low levels. could even set a time limit shadow so after say 1 hour the merc leaves party and walks back to nearest town and player has to hire a new one.

Could even design low level guild specific mobs (purchasable in guild) like an animal for rangers (small elephant for archers, large wolf for melee), army recruit for army (either heavy or light and these army ones would help army party masteries) or something
goderic

Post by goderic »

I'm reading comments about lack of defs and partying, and even suggestions that partying with some sort of NPC would be preferable to playing with a def in the party! (Personally, I think earth priests have that one covered) - but.....
looking at the racial guilds, they all seem to offer quite a bit more to melee types than casters, and even stuff thats gets better with party size. We've had the (relatively) recent addition of flankers, combat momentums and shards, all of which boost melee players.
This makes me wonder. I don't think there's anything wrong with melee guilds at all. They've got a heck of a lot going for them. Maybe it's how partying is handled? I admit I don't tend to party much, and the reason is pretty simple. I can usually solo better exp than I can in a party. It's as basic as that. Solution? Raise the exp value of mobs proportionate to the number of players killing it, perhaps. party of 2 gets exp bonus of 10%, maybe. 20% for 3.maybe cap it at 50% for 6 or more players. (This is purely off the top of my head thinking, I admit)
drakken

Derro Race and Sonic Infusion

Post by drakken »

Have not really seen many derro players. Perhaps they could use some new race ability such as doing something to reduce mobs ac, not sure really.

Sonic Infusion: I am guessing it does not yet exist because it could make rangers guild too powerful? If so, perhaps changing bladesinging somehow to accommodate sonic infusion shards.
douhnin
Supporting Member 2011

Counter-intuitive advancement system

Post by douhnin »

On the advancement points subject.
Just about every new player is likely confused by how to gain levels, and further confused as to why there's a separate guild they have to advance in, before they can actually advance in their own guild..

A possible solution could be to incorporate advancement points into each main guild location, and possibly even at sub guilds. Would all still work the same way, but would be like having numerous adventurer guilds all over the world.

A second possible solution would be a less simple approach (considering existing code). Each main guild could allow stats training at the guild location, and the cost of training these stats could be based off of the type of guild it is. (ie. army trains strength cheaper than they do intelligence (until possibly officer levels, etc.)) Instead of using advancement points +free experience to gain levels, levels just cost a certain (increased) amount to gain. All of this boils down to the same, or thereabouts, cost experience-wise, but could streamline the process and possibly be more intuitive.

Just my opinion!
Also: Antidote salves, or a way using herbs to neutralize poisons instead of relying on an air priest!
andr

making party attractive

Post by andr »

I would like to get the Goderic's idea a bit further:

I suggest to give an exp bonus to parties killing "worthy foes" -
which foe is worthy can be defined by its level comparing to the sum level of the people in the party with a modifier to the max level player in the party (to remove e.g. 100+1 player level abuse).

In this way we do not only give extra reason for people to party, but
motivate them killing bigger mobs, thus freeing areas with smaller creatures for lower level people (kind of upgrading the whole food chain :) ).

As extra motivation for parties, it was already suggested by someone - give a chance for a small karma to the leader on kills.

And the last - a newbie friendly feature could be to allow flanking all mobs for players below a certain level. Many people probably had a newbie in their party who got very bored by just sitting in the back. That will make their experience better and (possibly) will bring us more players.

Sorry it was long :)
andr

Post by andr »

On defence points system (somethig I think is really missing in Icesus):

I find myself and people I partied with to set combat points either to max attack or max defence ponts, and practically never in between.
In contrast, in reality (and I did foil fencing, kendo and some martial arts, so its not theoretical to me), it is practically never the case! I tended to start somewhere at 50%/50% and then tune depending on the opponent, sometimes choosing to mostly attack and sometimes go defensive and use counter-attacks.

It would be nice to introduce some kind of non-linear system, in which at low def points you already should get some basic defence working, but the more points you add the less should be the effect of these "invested" points. And I talk not only about number of attacks you can dodge/parry per turn, but the defence chances: The more you concetrate on defence, the higher should be the chances to defend sucessfully.

In other words: Saccrificing _some_ attack points in favour of defence should be on an average mob very beneficial.

How to decide how many points? There could be "battle consider" command - after combat is started it can be used to report your chances of parry/dodge/avoid (analog of that "feeling" you have in a fight) depending on the opponent skills/stats/weapon.