Something wrong? Something missing? Suggest!

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

clade
Supporting Member 2011

Post by clade »

More mastery based titles. For example rangers have pretty boring default titles.
andr

Post by andr »

Distance in fight

Another thing which is missing, and could add lots of fun is a proper control of the distance between opponents in the fight.
1) 1 on 1 fight:
Archery, throwing, spelling at combat start could obtain real mechanism: you do an agressive move, thw enemy start to approach, depending on its speed you have time. :)
Melee: at the moment there is no difference if one with a dagger fight with an opponent wielding a spear. In reality, the spear guy will want to keep his distance and the dagger-wielder will want to approach. It could add a whole new angle (dimension hehe) to the combat system!
2) Party
Of course, a simplification has to be used. Location of all people/mobs can be projected on just one axis. then the role of the tanks will be also to impede the advance of the mob towards the weaklings :) And the casters/archers would have to weight options: one more spell/shot right now with a risk to get in melee range or active "move x" command to get some distance away.
Fightig 1 against 2 also could be fun - not to let one of the foes behind you.
3) Move silently/hide/backstab - all can use this system too more naturally. even huntung.

If you like the idea, we can think about details.
pixu
Supporting Member 2019

Archery

Post by pixu »

Archery

projectile guidance could really use some specials for 70,80,90,100 checkpoints, currently almost nobody bothers to go beyond 60 since it just does not give anything worth grinding for. (earlier per 10 checkpoints have specials activated on them so it would fit to theme)

Somekind of area element would also be greatly needed, currently if group kills 2 or more monsters at the same time there is no chance in hell to be of any use for the group. Area shot momentum with high pg or such maybe? Doing exp with 66lvl fp and def the damages go about 40-60 on single target monsters and any time there is 2+ monsters in battle it is clear victory for the tiny fp. Some flavour for the shooting system would really make it more interesting instead of just reload+shoot, momemtums were a good addition, but still could use something more to do. (Variety to shots, more momentums, etc) The 2013 standards have left this fine art of arrow shooting far behind the other types of fighting. Expwise even more so.

The damage formulas could be checked a little, currently the main affecting things, most likely over 98% of the damage output lie in charms,boons,aiming to correct slot with
certain effects, etc. Stats, damage bonus from pg, skills do not seem to have almost any meaning after 100, which makes the guild somewhat dull when everyone does same damage no matter what.

Also fps that give momentums / those race guild boons that give momentums to backrow ranger could give archer momentums instead of whirling blades / kick / headbutt which are quite odd things to get when holding a bow.

Souls facet / primodial discord from Ranger Reavers sub guild also would be nice to finally gotten into the game in other form than just skill you can put exp to, even when it is not doing anything yet.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

How many air priest levels can a monk or member of requiem order get? Is there any plan right now for a fire priest monk subguild?
merak
Supporting Member 2012

Life as a newbie / lowbie

Post by merak »

Gearing up:
* ordering a set of equipment, filling the non-hit slots with random +stats crap and getting lucky with shards.. (highbie) players that are able to do eq are running for high-end pieces and there are no real middle ground from ordered stuff to a gear that costs gazillions on sales channel
> there should be a way to get minor enchants to the items you've ordered / crafted which does not require luck - for example +1 shards chould be available from some npc shopkeeper
> there should be a sort of a money sink to prevent the inflation of prices - currently the market is going more and more to a direction of trading an item to an item since at some point the cash does not seem to have any value anymore: player houses/other vanity stuff/progressive tax system/robin hood ;)

Areas are empty
* It seems that majority of the playerbase is running through the same areas regardless of the power of the player. For the lowbie players there are much fewer options than for the ones that have power to actually kill harder ones. Also as one grows in power they are usually able to move from place to another w/o getting their ep pool completely exhausted.
> either discourage powerful players from killing easy mobs or encourage them to kill harder ones.

Enabling guild combinations for lowbies
* We have nice racial guilds with interesting perks and bunch of secondary guilds. For a lowbie player the choice of trading one main guild level to racial guild level is a hard one and what comes to the secondary guilds.. well only after getting past the artificial limits one can think of those.
> There could be a similar kind of pool for racial/secondary guild levels than there is for professional guilds, lets say one gains one free level from racial guild per 10 levels and 1 secondary guild level per 20 levels. This would of course increase the power of the whole playerbase, but I think the effect would be most visible for the lowbie players
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Playercharacter powerlevels have risen. Messages need to be tweaked: Either adjusted, or new ones added to cater for the upper-tiers accordingly. To have something to grasp for is a nice driving force, whereas having overabundance of the best messages each day and every day gets boring.

I have already brought up the topic of new sorcerer hitmessages being BADLY needed, but there is one another issue. One that matters for other guilds as well.

SPASMS as the damage feedback message is also too easy to get these days. ~3k damage needed for the best howl was a gross underestimation from Echcua when he added new ones to writhes/cries/screams in... what? Early 2005?

---

Alchemy could be expanded by quite a bit, it might even be made a main guild. Ingredient system could also be expanded should this happen. When the code supports outworld-regions with specific mobspawns, areas of the world could be made to spawn specific alchemical ingredients, such as volcanic ash near the volcanoes etc.

---

As for overcrowded areas, would it be possible to 'instantiate' a couple of areas as an experiment and see how it turns out. E.G. make a virtual clone of the area for each party that wishes to enter it, so that they would not need to compete for the monsters inside. Great care should be taken for balancing though, since df-items dropped by monsters would also skyrocket. Other issues to consider are re-entering an instance and now have it reset (and destroy everything left on the ground), or have chronomancers drift to other people's instances.

---

New weapons (weapon types) could be added.

Polearms have been in the planning for 10y+ now. Now that flanking is available, maybe solve the 'reach' issue by allowing a flanker to use a polearm to some degree even against non-flankable foes? And non-flanking guilds wielding a polearm/spear (since spear is a form of a polearm, is it not?) to be able to be designated as a flanker and not suffer severe penalties for doing so.

Monk weapons: First <irons>/<Brass> knuckles/<cloth> handwraps. Wear them in the weapon slot, and they still count as hand maneuvers. But they could be enchanted or provide some small bonus even when non-magical.

BIG weapons for large races to two-handed wield. 2.1m two-handed sword for a 5m b'rogh is relatively about the same thing as a cutlass is for a dark elf. Lance/pike for spears, unless they are to be polearms.

Small weapons for types that don't have small ones available: Khukri for slashing swords.

And scythe could be included under some other weapontype than 'tool'. We know we have grim reaper fetishists.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

Psions are a marginal minority in the game, yet eqmonsters drop psion-eq with higher frequency than they should, given the low number of psions and guilds that make use of the said eq compared to sp-casters.

Right now, there is one psion main guild with two branches: caster psions and melee psions.

And beholder object handling and some coven abilities might do something with psp.

Yet, items like frost beast ring / solael boots / xyz seem to have maybe even as high as a 50/50 chance of spawning as sp or psp versions, when the ratio ought to be something like 94.5/5.5! (who guild share to compare psions and sp-guilds at the time of this post)

And then we have green dragon dropping 3 psionicist eqs from his eqpool at once! Been there, seen it happen.

I really feel like eqmob drops should be more weighted towards sp-versions than how it currently seems to be - or at the very least psp eqs are still grossly over-represented in the drop pool and should be tweaked accordingly!

One solution would be to make more features into the game that have something to do with psps (like, convince Zaltaiz to make that dreamer branch of covens rely entirely on psps?)

And don't +spr in eq still give partial +pspr as well? That feature also makes pspr versions less needed.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
daedalon

Post by daedalon »

First of all I must say that I love Icesus very much. I love the world, the feeling and the mechanics of it but there is one very big issue which keeps me from actually playing it:

Experience rate.

Icesus is just so slow-paced that if you can't put serious amounts of hours into it you can't get much out of it.

To really enjoy a game I personally need the feeling of advancement. Feeling that what I do really pays off and gets me forward but since my free time has decreased dramatically in the last 10 years, the few hours I can put into the game doesnt really give that feeling anymore and it is really a shame.

I know its not the games fault entirely but still wanted to point it out as I think it is one of the things why people dont play it more.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

Something I've noticed is that there are a decent amount of newbie areas, and a very good amount of highbie areas, but not very many locations for midbie playing, avians was one of those, but was heavily buffed and they were given area spells, making it impractical for midbie parties or any party with a newbie in it.
marcos

Masteries

Post by marcos »

We could have material ~ related masteries, if you use a weapon or an amour you could get bonus points for each time you do damage depending on your �material mastery percentage. Or get points from the amount of the material you are wearing/wielding. These would help greatly to newbies that can't get a material that's expensive like fine steel. Of course the other materials that are harder to obtain should raise the same way so that it doesn't get abused as much. Just my thoughts