Just a small poll about thieves...

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to see thieves in Icesus and what kind of thieves.

Yes, and they should be able steal from players also.
26%
Yes, but they shouldn't be able to steal from players.
50%
No, I don't want to see any thieves in my neighbourhood.
24%

Total votes: 136

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I like the hooded cloak idea, that would allow them to hide their real identity. Also i think it would be a very good idea to make them more the brute bandit, to differ them completely from the more dextrious shadowdancers. Although shadowdancers are more of the ritualistic-assasin type and can't really be mixed up with thieves.

If the bandits are good in both cities and nature, it would be nice to see them ambushing things in the wilderness- with high camouflage and maybe crossbows.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

The way I see it...

Post by solar »

The way I see it, you're trying to change the concept of 'thieves' to playerkillers! Haha, now your plan is foiled since everyone now sees it the way I do!

No. Thieves and pkilling don't mix, shadowdancers are for that.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Re: The way I see it...

Post by artic »

solar wrote:The way I see it, you're trying to change the concept of 'thieves' to playerkillers! Haha, now your plan is foiled since everyone now sees it the way I do!

No. Thieves and pkilling don't mix, shadowdancers are for that.
I did not even mention PK. as felgand suggested they could steal in combat. Thus i though they could ambush people and NPC's- similar to the current hunting, where you sit in a bush and wayt for an animal to come. Only the bandits wayt for merchants with way too heavy purses for them to keep. :P

And i agree, bandits should not be motivated to kill players. As a matter of fact, they should gain nothing, by killing a player and lose quite a bit. Like maybe after a PK a new line appear on their wanted poster saying 'Dead or Alive'. Like 'no prison time for you, pal. your going straight to the executioner.' hmm, i think public display would be nice, with some NPC's throwing tomatos etc.
agnes
Supporting Member 2010

Post by agnes »

I wouldn't consider thieves as a main guild because they are (like most of us has said) that they are too similiar to the shadowdancer guild. If it could be a little subguild for everyone or for just shadowdancers.
moraq

Post by moraq »

I like the idea that one couldn't know who is a thief or who isn't.
So an open sub-guild would imho fit best, not a sub only for shadowdancers because it limits the group of likely thiefs.

I'm not against thieves guild but neither am I for it, so much depents on the way they are coded.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

as long as they get a command ambush, that can be used to attack wandering merchants, i would be fairly happy, and it could be used on roads. and what about traps for that? you set a trap and prepare an ambush, then when the target comes, you set off the trap and attack while they are, say, putting the fires out in their clothes.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Traps are a very good idea, for bandits. But as discussed before in a 'shadowdancer' topic they are very abusable. at least when i was suggesting that shadwodancers get tham, they were. Than again traps are a natural part of any fanatsy game i can name, so i believe if done right they would be very interesting in icesus aswell.
Praised be the god of fire, may he bless me and my dark brethren with the warmth, and save me from the light of hes holy flames.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

ok i think that this guild should, first of all be a mainguild, and they need to have one hand free to do any of the thiefy skills, like stealing, or using a handful of sand to blind an enemy(stunning) and making it harder for them to hit for a little while. so i think they should have a one weapon skill, that helps them to block or hit better with the weapon and the off hand.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I like the 'handful of sand' idea. A skill like 'dirty fighting' would be nice for bandits. Likea the rangers 'rural combat' that gives them bonuses when fighting animals. The bandits could get a chane to use dirty tricks in combat, where what trick they use, and what effects it migh have would depend on their knowledge of the skill.
zaec

thieves

Post by zaec »

I'm greatly against the idea that the thieves/bandist would be a guild open for everyone, Instead maybe there should be added few subguilds for two/different guilds to be joined. For example rangers would be able to take that bandit/ambusher subguild where skills like ambushing, camouflage, trapping and that kind of outdoors skills would be available. Dancers instead could be able to join a subguild that offers some bounty hunter's abilities and skills related to city environment and thieving there. And I think that it should be available that the thief has an ability to conceal his identity and outsiders would not know if they have bandit/thief levels or not.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

i think, that if this subguild is guild specific, then there really is no way to find out, unless they use a title from it.
another one i would like is monks get a ninja subguild, one that lets them use some very limited weapons, such as using a chain to disarm an enemy or throwing stars(that require a special skill to use correctly) and they could possibly get move silently in the guild. another thing that would be cool is if there were a room in special areas, that if you walk through it while using move silently, everyone in the area gets aggro at you.(specifically, the floor of the room makes so much noise that they can tell if someone is trying to sneak in or if they are walking normally)
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I'm kinda wondering something here. say about 2 months or so ago I noticed a idea from a guy for doing thieves in icesus but every one kept telling him it was a bad idea, but I went ahead and throught it out a little more, gots some ideas together to help flesh it out and then started talkin about it. I ran into the same thing he did, no one wanted to hear about it, it would be to easy to abuse, none of my ideas would really work to downtune it. Yet now I see a number of the same ideas; jailing system, wanted posters, skills geared toward dex and sneakyness; and everyone loves them. so what I would like to know is why now all of a sudden do people want thieves? and has anyone thought of the ramafications of highbies with millions of exp worth reinc to a thief? its hard enough now to keep highbies from not abuseing their lvl when preying on newbies.
arkady
Supporting Member 2007

huh

Post by arkady »

Maybe I am too nice but I don't think highbies really care about newbies; I mean when you have one hundred million exp what does a dude with five million matter to you. Unless you mean overcharging us for eq :)

I think that theives would make highbies more likely to kill each other (hey you stole that eq monsters eq) I claimed it before the reboot...

honestly I think that the rouge, bandit thread within a thread was the most promissing idea in here sorta a minor fighter type with the ability to strip it's enemies gear while fighting it.

but I really want to make a fully open exp generating class I mean the shadow dancers can make soo much exp that it makes any other class seem like a waste of time and if it has to be a arms race I want a new gun.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

mandrake wrote:I'm kinda wondering something here. say about 2 months or so ago I noticed a idea from a guy for doing thieves in icesus but every one kept telling him it was a bad idea, but I went ahead and throught it out a little more, gots some ideas together to help flesh it out
8< SNAP, shortened a bit 8<----------------------
worth reinc to a thief? its hard enough now to keep highbies from not abuseing their lvl when preying on newbies.
Zaec came up with good enough restrictions for this thread to blossom again.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.