Just a small poll about thieves...

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to see thieves in Icesus and what kind of thieves.

Yes, and they should be able steal from players also.
26%
Yes, but they shouldn't be able to steal from players.
50%
No, I don't want to see any thieves in my neighbourhood.
24%

Total votes: 136

belannaer
Wizard

Just a small poll about thieves...

Post by belannaer »

Out of curiosity I'd like to know what your thoughts about thief guild are 8)
harlonus
Supporting Member 2014

Post by harlonus »

Dont like the idea that there would be anything who could possibly steal my eq's or anything.. i think shadowdancers are just fine and will replace the "thieves" with their assassination skills
DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT SHELBY OR I'LL FUCKING TRACK YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU WHEN YOUR SLEEPING MOTHER FUCKER
iluth

Post by iluth »

Thieves are similar to assassins, but the idea of being an assassin is to well, kill things, and the idea of being a thief is to make lots of money and steal nice eq.

I don't really think that shadowdancers negate the need for thieves, there are nightstalkers and shadowdancers which are similiar, but different enough to have both.
aieon
Supporting Member 2006

Post by aieon »

Wee-ell, if their guild would be in Graemor, it'd be ok, I think, so's you could avenge and possibly take your eq back... On the other hand you'd have to pk it so much that it voluntarily gives the eq, assumin you find out who it was.
Is there enough material for mainguild thieves?
rixa

Post by rixa »

No I dont want thieves. This is almost pkill free mud and let this be thief free mud too. Nice to waste time in eqmobs several dozen hours and finally (maybe) to get some useful eq, and then comes thief and steals that piece of eq. Even if they werent able to steal any eqs(what good are thieves then?)...

So no thanks.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Stealing from player is unthinkable! Take this example:
The stealing skill would be something similar to backstabbing- if you do it, there is a possibility for the mob not to notice, but most of the time thry do, and then for a certain period of time you cant try again, for they would be expecting it. But this doesnt work with players: even if they aggro once you fail, you leave room and enter again and they dont agro again- that is the current system, if you leave the room and return you are no longer fighting the player. So idle players would be easy pickings.

But other than that we shouldnt worry too much about players getting glow items too easyly: This is Icesus, everyhing gets downtuned! So im fairly sure the stealing skill will be tuned too, making it impossible to steal from mobs that are too big for you.
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

I dislike idea of thieves too, but if they could only steal from monsters and only money with a _SLIM_ chance to steal some eq monster is not wearing(like bread, sleepig bag, and possibly _realy rare_ chance of getting eq that won't be dropped even after monster is dead(kinda ff stealing...))... this doesn't seem enough to be a main guild, but might make a nice sub.
Last edited by etadan on Thu Jun 17, 2004 13:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beyond good..
aieon
Supporting Member 2006

Post by aieon »

Wee-ell, I thought idling isn't encouraged, and stealing would be a kind of ... well... penalty if a player idles somewhere quite public, where a lot of people go through.
although I think Inns and other leave-game-places should be steal-banned, because those places would be THE places to steal.
and that is IF pc-stealing will be implemented.
and yet again, my point was...
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

The vision was that you could not steal worn equipment and kept equipment if stealing from players was ever to be introduced. Of course idle players would also be safe from stealing and safe rooms (inns etc.) are safe rooms from anything, including stealing.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

thieves?

Post by solar »

Someone (I can't remember who, or perhaps I just refuse to name him/her!) said that if thieves that can steal from players are ever going to be implemented, the amount of players in Icesus would drop to 3.

One of them would be Sriel, the other one would be Sriel's friend who chats with him. The third one would be a hc-newbie who tries to make exp and gets his eq stolen repeatedly by Sriel.

Scary, isn't it? :shock:
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
ayumi

Post by ayumi »

The stealing from players idea doesn't sound good to me. It would be pointless anyway, since what aside from a torch or items of a torch's value would be unworn/unkept?
But with npc's why not? It's likely that you wouldn't be able to steal worn/wielded eq (or it would be very difficult to do so), so it's not like a person would come along to kill Rhain for his dagger only to find it missing from his corpse after, or everyone avoiding Rhain altogether because of the missing dagger.
If you can steal some coins, and have the npc attack the player at a second steal attempt (or steal fail), then it sounds good to me. Just some harmless fun and slightly higher income.
sondarn

Post by sondarn »

I'd like to see thieves in icesus.

You could restrict stealing to certain areas and/or only allow stealing from players that are at least 10 levels higher than the thief. Whatever, I think pk is the only way the victim can take revenge.
iluth

Post by iluth »

Sounds like a difficult guild to balance correctly, i've played a thief before and the guild was pretty unbalanced (though it was a small mud) But it was huge fun to play, you could even be subdued and put in jail if the town guards caught you trying to steal from the citizens :D

My idea for the thieving skill to be balanced would be for you to "win" a random item depending on your skills and the mob, obviously animals wouldnt have loot, but any humanoid monster you could steal spr vials, sleeping bags, gems basic loot and stuff like this.

Taking another idea from the final fantasy series would be to try and 'pilfer' money from mobs which would actually be happening during the fight and be a battle maneuver, the idea would be to steal as much money as possible before having to flee, maybe even gaining small amounts of exp for successful steals.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Hmm...
You pierce mob with your rapier creating a deep wound in his money purse, causeing a shower of coins...

Nice :)
felgand

Thievery

Post by felgand »

I think thievery could add a very interesting aspect to Icesus _IF_ there was a chance that the player being stolen from could have a chance of detecting the theft in the first place AND be able to regain the item in some way within a certain window of time.

For the second part, I propose that for any theft the thief could be pk'ed by the victim to regain the stolen item if caught in a given amount of time (two reboots, lets say). In addition, the thief cannot move the item from his/her inventory until the timer is up and it will drop from his corpse if they die within in that time (free to be picked up by anyone).