War??

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

mandrake

Post by mandrake »

There is a guild for assassins, there have been guild wars from what I hear ( even recent raiding ) an the fact that shareing info with others is frowned at doesn't really set up a overtly 'friendly' mud that wouldn't be able to handle a thieves guild an players stealing from other players.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Icesus an enjoy playing here, but to be quite honest from goin through the forums an seeing some of the reactions to others' ideas I kinda get the feeling that most are against any new ideas that either don't help their guild/race type or even more so when it comes to ones that actually would weaken them compared to a guild/race/mob they use to have more of a advantage over.

There is any number of ways to make a thieves guild work.
Some of you were very right when ya said money could make it a big problem, either the "fines/bail' would be way to easy for decent level plays to pay or the admins would need to go through an make it way harder to make money ( which is hard enough if ya ask me lol ).

So how bout this, we would want to make it risky to steal from another play right?, not just cause they might catch you doing it an mess you up, but also cause if they turn you in for a warrant ya could have a bunch of peeps huntin you like a dog in the street an if they catch you they through ya in jail an make ya give back what ya stole an then pay to get out.

But not too big a worry if ya are a decent enough level or simply have enough time to make the money back, but wait, no you don't pay with money to get out you pay with you exp which you already lost some of when you got caught an thrown in jail.

Now that could be a much big risk for even high level plays cause insted of making the amount of exp lost when thrown in jail an the amount lost when paying to get out being simply based on what you stole, insted it is based on how many warrants you were brought in for and what level you are at.

So if say you are a level 50 with thief as a sub guild an you go on a kipein ( thats what we call stealin where I'm from, said like "pipe-n" but with a k in the front insted ) spree, get about 6 or 7 warrants out on you ( they don't go away untill some one has collected the bounty on them not even if you die ) an then ya get brought in on all them at once how hard do ya think that could hit your exp?

I know alot of peeps out there after a point don't care too much about some amounts of exp, losein or gaining, but this would be set up so that they higher you make it in level an the more ya steal from players the bigger the hit to your exp if ya do get caught.

Now of course there are some insanely high level plays out there, don't remember their names off hand but I know I saw a few 100s running around the other day, that could most likely run around an get really high warrant counts an not worry to much about gettin caught. I mean in order for any one other then another 100 or near 100 to collect the bounty they would have to party up with a number of other plays an all go after the same bounty.

Now I also doubt that low-levels an mid-levels are going to rush out an start partying up to try an go police the highbies seeing as how there is every chance that some of those lone highbies could hand a entire party of two or three lowbies or even midbies there collective asses. But how worth the risk would it be to those lowbies an midbies if when they did manage to bring in one of those highbies they all get a share of the exp that highbie loses for getting caught an brought in.

An I'm thinkin that to figure out how to do that exp lose/gain, we could use the warrants as sort of a multiplier system.

Example:
thief loses 100exp(yea, that would be a lowbie thief..lol)
warrants=1
exp bounty=5%xwarrents( 5 percent times number of warrents)

So in this case the bounty would be 5 percent of 100 exp or 5 exp.

Doesn't sound like much but what about this.

Same thing just one slight change:

thief loses 100exp
warrants=5
exp bounty=5%xwarrents

5% times 5 is 25% or 25 exp.

Now lets look at a Highbie thief.

thief loses 100,000exp(like I said, a Highbie)
warrants=1
exp bounty=5%xwarrents

5% times 1= 5,000 exp.

now what would ya get if they had 5 warrants?

Just some thoughts guys, like I said I'll be useing what ever I finally decide on at my own MUD later this year but feel free to say what ya think of this little idea to help control play on play stealing.
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

mandrake wrote:Now don't get me wrong, I like Icesus an enjoy playing here, but to be quite honest from goin through the forums an seeing some of the reactions to others' ideas I kinda get the feeling that most are against any new ideas that either don't help their guild/race type or even more so when it comes to ones that actually would weaken them compared to a guild/race/mob they use to have more of a advantage over.
The fact is that many of them are just either utterly poor/idiotic or already exists or is impossible to do or way out of tune. Most of them could have been left without posting if the one who came up with the idea would have thought about it for longer than 5 seconds before posting it. I'm not saying that there isn't any good ideas out there (there is) and that you shouldn't post them but please think about the idea for some time before posting.

And please if you want to advertise your "to be made this summer"-mud do it somewhere else than our forums.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

belannaer
I'm not saying that there isn't any good ideas out there (there is) and that you shouldn't post them but please think about the idea for some time before posting.

And please if you want to advertise your "to be made this summer"-mud do it somewhere else than our forums.
I did think quite a bit before posting my ideas for doing a thieves guild, I have also been working on not only figuring out how the skills should work an what skills there should be but also working on an planning out a design outline for the guild itself, makeing it into a actual area where thiefs can not only go to level up their skills an get new ones but a place where they can also earn the exp to do it an get the in the "field" training that the skills would need( picking locks more often make you better at it, etc) there by giving plays new places to explore. Clearly no one whats this for what ever reasons they have so I will drop it much as the guy that first mentioned thieves in Icesus had to do.

As for my wanting to "advertise" the mud I would like to make on your forums, I was not advertising it I mearly mentioned that I was going to be do it and as this is where I know people that play Muds was wanting input on any ideas they might have had( inclueding Wizards' ) and was planning to talk to some of the developers of Icesus to see what advice they might have had an maybe even see about working out a joint effort( sort of a sister site thing, if you play Icesus you can get a starting bonues at my place or something an vise versa ).
suron

Post by suron »

I agree with Belannaer fully, most ideas posted on these forums are not really thought about before blurting them out with public posts (read: they are crap).

As a general rule one could suggest that if your idea affects the amount of exp/min the character would recieve, it does not get implemented. (Nor do any other ideas get implemented either because wizards, as a general rule, do like to come up with their own ideas and code them instead of other peoples ideas)

This includes any ideas concerning new guild ideas and I'm 99.9% sure that if that lazy-ass genious with that splendid idea for a guild does not stand up from his wide bottom and code it himself/herself it does not get implemented...ever!

Generally speaking there are not that many players with original ideas out there...(besides myself ofcourse) And it is sad to read these threads when just about every thread with new idea falls to the same category : more exp, gold and killing power.

A hint for all of you brainiacs out there, go for splendor with your ideas not efficiency, an idea that makes your character look cool has a better chance to get implemented (slim to none) instead of (none).

- Suron -

ps. Graemor is a pk-free zone for everyone and no-one forces you to live there, just because you can live there if you have 1M totals doesn't mean that you should do it. Quit whining and reinc if you can't handle it.

pps. Ok, being away from the forums for a long time have left me with great amounts of suppressed anger and if I hurt someones feelings with this post I assure you that it was not my original intention.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Solar agrees wholeheartedly with Suron.

Post by solar »

When Suron speaks you should all listen! (or read...)

Some to most of the ideas posted on these forums (not only this thread, mind you) are (c)rap, but do notice that not everything... at least from my opinion.

Oh, and you can see that I haven't said that my ideas wouldn't be (c)rap either. I'm not saying that they aren't. It's just that... I really don't need to say it, you should know them by now. ;)

And if I hurt someones' feelings... I just have to say that it was totally uncalled for, I admit that... but I liked it ;)
(Conan O'Brien quote, somewhat modified, good show, I recommend)
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.