War??

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

apex

Post by apex »

Also for the alley idea- the black market would probably be suitable...
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I got some good feedback on my idea from a few of you, most of it say it had some good points an ideas but that highbies would be able to get away with too much still however my idea was that anyone could become a bounty hunter if they wished inclueding other highbies. A lvl 100 steals from you or kills? then give his warrant to another lvl 100 with the bounty hunter skills or one that is a templar or army charrie. Plus while I did say killers could be wanted dead or alive that doesn't mean killing them is the only way to catch them, I was thinking that the "arrest" skill could be something you could use only on other players reguardless of if they or nearly dead or not, just make it so that like other skills ya might have to try it more then once to get it to hit. I know that that would leave highbies still able to just kill you before you arrest them but that would just make the reward on them that much higher. You go to arrest a highbie an find that they can easyly kill you before you can get the skill to hit then just go turn them in for another warrant makeing the money an exp reward on them that much higher then go party up with some friends that can also use the arrest skill an go after them again an share the reward. I really think we could make this work if enough of us were willing to work together to hammer out the kinks an loopholes. While sure there would be highbies who would use it as a chance to steal an kill like mad there would also be highbies willing to try to keep the others under control.
apex

Post by apex »

Another problem tho, if you're talking about thieves and whatnot... If i were in the thieves guild i wouldn't mind so much getting killed with no exp on to steal some 20mil eq from someone...
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Now see on the stealing side I didn't mean that you would get killed I meant you could be arrested an thrown in jail where...

1) the item you took is taken back an held for/given to the person you took it from, or if you sold it or something already then you lose the value of the item..ie. you steal a 20 million sword then 20 million is taken from you. Don't have 20 mill then all your money an items are taken until it covers 20 million, don't have enough to cover 20 mill then you lose everything. 2) you have to pay to get out, if you don't have enough money, either cause you just don't have that much or cause it was taken to cover what you stole, then you have to pay with exp. Don't have enough to pay with exp then you sit in jail until your time is up.

So in the end while it could be very handy to steal from other players it can also be very risky.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

That jail thing would be good if it wouldn't be __Very__ difficult to value every item in the game. (I really mean that capital V and underlining there)
felgand

Post by felgand »

I agree with Grainer, it's extremely difficult to put a hard value on every item in the game...and probably wouldn't be worth it in the end since the admins would have to individually give a "market" value to each piece of eq in the game (since many items aren't worth the same amount as what you would get in a shop).
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I know there could be some kinks to work out but I really think we could make it work of enough of us got together an helped out the admins on it, once I get more time I would be willing to help do the valueing of the times an help with the codeing an lay out of the thieves guild.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I think I figured out a way to take care of the value problem. Insted of trying to give each item a set value we could use the same sort of valueing system as the blacksmithing shop.

As I'm sure most everyone knows the price for a item at the blacksmith depends on what its, what its made of, an what quality it is.

We could use the same system for valueing a stolen item.

Example;

Ornate iron rapier is stolen.

value break down:
item type=rapier=1000 sliver
made of=iron=1500 sliver
quality=poor=500 sliver
stolen value= 3000 sliver

No clearly that is not what the actual value of it might be as I am not sure how the admins have the blacksmithing value system set up but it is a idea. Please let me know what ya all think.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Hnn..There are a lot of items that don't fit to that.

Example.
A wood helmet named "poorQ" <intense green glow> - that gives +5 to int and +4 to wis...

As it is made of wood and poor quality: stolen value would be set to something small eh? But I think it's market value would be 100000x stolen value then.

That would give the thief a huuuuuge benefit and thus be unbalanced.

edit: fixed morning typing typos
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

And on top of that market prices to fluctuate as sometimes there are more demand on a particular item, sometimes less. Sometimes new items come and old ones go (when some wizards want their code back) and that changes the prices. There are even items that are never (or once on 10 years) sold publicly. Would that item's value be infinite? Even for items that are sold on regular basis you'd need a wiz to log channel sales all the time and then read through log and decide if it's necessary to change the item's value. For other items it's impossible.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

I didn't mean that the system I showed would be the final set up, it was just a rough idea to get others thinking.

moraq
Example.
A wood helmet named "poorQ" <intense green glow> - that gives +5 to int and +4 to wis...
Moraq made a good point, my conter-point is that we could inclued the glows as well.

Clearly figureing out the system an setting it up wouldn't be easy but it is possible. It might mean alot of work, though some of us plays could always offer to help the Wizs out where we can, but then again setting up the guilds we have as well as the whole world of Icesus wasn't exactly a walk in the park.

Alot of peeps on here have made some good points, things I haven't thought of and yes in some cases because they have been here longer. However those are exactly the people I would what help from to figure out how to make it work.

Now not to be rude at all but while I have heard alot of reasons why this or that wouldn't work or would need to be done differently, I haven't heard any ideas on how to make some of my oversights work. If ya see a problem with my valueing system, please by all means tell me how you would fix it or do it differently. I am always totally open to new ideas an new twists to my own.
felgand

Post by felgand »

For a thievery/punishment system based on money to be viable, money on Icesus would have to be made MUCH more scarce than it is now. I'm talking on the order of 1/4 to 1/5 of what we get now so that the punishment is actually something a player would seriously consider (After a certain point, money gaining isn't that bad at all). Since there are basically only 3 vitals (df, money, exp) ...having things set up this way may not be ideal.
rixa

Post by rixa »

Making money in icesus is really easy. Making eq isnt.And some tunes coming it seems that making eq is going to be ever harder :shock:
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

ok ok, I give. no one wants a thieves guild I get it. Though I will use the guild lay out an skills I came up with when I start working on my own Mud later this summer. of course all are well come to try it once I have it ready.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Maybe thieves guild don't fit into the theme of Icesus, because this is kinda 'friendly' mud where everyone is friend with another :)
Stealing eq would pretty much ruin that.

Mandrake, I'll be happy to be part of the testcrew when you get something done ;)