New Area

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

janeti
Supporting Member 2006

New Area

Post by janeti »

That post would be really useful if I knew where either Shanty town or Highhill were. Since I gather that a map with the names on comes under the 'sharing information' rules, why bother to use the names in such a post? Approximate compass directions with some distance info would surely be more use. Or is this an attempt to get newbies to ask questions, which will mostly be ignored by those in the know.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Names...

Post by solar »

These should be common knowledge.

Shanty town is populated by orcs but belongs to the kingdom of Valkor. It is located west from Vaerlon, on the other side of the mountains. (see map, same colour as Vaerlon)

Highhill is populated by halflings and is near the swamp (a road goes from its vicinity) north from Shanty town. (It is marked as a special location on the map) Highill is on the east side of the swamp.

This new area won't be that hard to find if you know these two. :)

Oh, and by the way... "help newbie areas" has more exact directions there.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
cutter
Wizard

Re: New Area

Post by cutter »

janeti wrote:That post would be really useful if I knew where either Shanty town or Highhill were. Since I gather that a map with the names on comes under the 'sharing information' rules, why bother to use the names in such a post?
So that people who have explored the world already can find the new area without too much trouble. People who haven't explored can find the area when then do explore anyway.
#define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111))
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

How are people that are exploring an area supposed to know what is called? Is there a way to tell, oh, im in shanty town, cause the name of the place is written on this plaque here? So you cant really say that people that explore know where shanty is- people that explore know where a orc town is.
felgand

Post by felgand »

Yes.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Post by janeti »

cutter wrote:So that people who have explored the world already can find the new area without too much trouble. People who haven't explored can find the area when then do explore anyway.
I guess I must be blind because I've explored quite a lot of the map and still don't know the names of any area except the towns, although I would recognise a description of a lot of places. Like; the orc town; the kobold wood; the farm; the wolf valley...

So how do you find out the official name of a place?

And I SO need to print out a map and start writing names down.
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

janeti wrote:
So how do you find out the official name of a place?
I guess there is no certain solution to find the official name for an area (except from the README files unaccessible by mortals).

For some areas, the "official" name as intended by the author is not used by mortals, but rather a common name has evolved. The "official" name might be something very much other than what name the area goes by. E.g. the area known as 'Stalker forest' is officially 'tranquil forest', but the official name does not appear anywhere in the area and hence, quite understandably, not used nor generally even known by players.
Stalker
dracolipse

Post by dracolipse »

janeti wrote: So how do you find out the official name of a place?
I'm not sure about everywhere, but Shanty Town and High Hill both list themselves in the "brief" description when you enter at least the first room. If you aren't in brief mode, you can get the brief description by typing "ll" that's LL lowercase with no quotes.

In Shanty Town it says "On the top of the hill near Shanty Town".

In High Hill it says "Path leading to Highhill".

Hope that helps.
"If you love somebody, let them go. For if they return, they were always yours and if they dont, they never were. - Kahlil Gibran"