PK in icesus.

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

dunn

Post by dunn »

tumi wrote:
felgand wrote:Even though the guild has recently been changed to only allow shadowdancers, I feel this is a mistake. The guards should still allow access to everyone except during guild events (since dancers are at a certain disadvantage during one or two of those events).
Everything is tunable, also this one. Situation will be monitored and roleplaying side thought when decising if there is a golden road in the middle of how things were and now are. My personal stand on this (with any guild in question), that guild is rather "sacred" place and should not be easily harassible by anyone. Even if the guild is located in Graemor.
If it's such a sacred guild hall, why not make it PK safe.. Since it IS in Graemor (or limited PK safe, ie dancer vs dancer only).

Killing the guards should allow you to get in, if you're not a shadowdancer. It's silly otherwise.
apex

Post by apex »

and whatfor that shadowdancer guild is the only w/ limited entry? I respect and understand this sacred haven thing, but I always though of targetting GM's as the only way for guilds to really clash w/o straight-out playerkilling... and while they're all very difficult targets, and a little good-natured competition between guilds isn't too bad is it?

just my opinion.. then again i'd also like to see all-out guild wars and such, so i'm probably a PK fanatic of sorts..
iluth

Post by iluth »

drakonis wrote:Hate to tell you Artic, but Felgand, or any other highbie with access to big, juicy parties, _can_ keep you from leveling, without ever touching you, He's killed the guild leader before :D, quite sure he'll do it again.
Yes i wonder if he'd be as enthusiastic about his guild being open if Pemriel was killed so easily. But that's felgand for you.
felgand

Post by felgand »

I wouldn't mind at all.
apex

Post by apex »

I think making the death of the GM more of a detriment to the players of the guild might be interesting (like take a stat/functionability loss if the leader is dead [not just not be able to train]) - once again a way to promote competition without ramaging pks (as discussed on another topic, PK in icesus isn't too effective)... Though, of course, defending your GM has merit...

I looooooove icesus so much, i just wish there were a few more (Active) things to do than EXP EXP EXP! sometimes:\ so sorry if i come off as a bit of a fanatic.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I love the idea of guilds defending their GM and Attacking other GM's. I first started exploring this matter as a shadowdancer- assasin - after the Shadowdancers guild hall was assoulted in hopes of killing the GM and looting hes nice eq. However what disappointed me greatly was that the GMs are not equal.
Because most, if not all, guilds are written by different persons, the guild masters are of VERY different build. One guild leader might me 'somewhat strong' and others 'GODLY powerful'. This certainly puts some guilds at an disadvantage.

Also theres the problem of reaching the GM. Some guilds have guards (of different power), some have rooms that cant be entered by people not in that guild and some have, well, natural defences.

If, however, these thins were more balanced out. And the gain from killing other GM's and the pain of losing you GM would be equally balanced and tempting, PK in icesus might get a new life.

At current state GM'killing and PK are just way too out of balance.
iluth

Post by iluth »

Also theres the problem of reaching the GM. Some guilds have guards (of different power), some have rooms that cant be entered by people not in that guild and some have, well, natural defences.

If, however, these thins were more balanced out. And the gain from killing other GM's and the pain of losing you GM would be equally balanced and tempting, PK in icesus might get a new life.
I reckon that the situation is currently pretty well balanced, it might be fun for us guys with enough skills to do some damage one way or the other, but for the newbies caught in the crossfire coming along to train now and then. It just doesn't seem fair, if GM killing was made fun as you're making it sound i'm sure people would be doing it all the time, creating problems for newbies walking into area spells or just being killed in suspicion of guild defending. You get a situation where pretty much anything goes.

I'm up for the fun of defending guild leaders and all the things around it, but you have to look at the situation from everybody's point of view. Some kind of defend/capture the flag type thing doesn't even need any coding, they could just be impromtu player ran events well away from guild areas.
dunn

Post by dunn »

Or.. There could be an event where the GMs go on an extended trip to some area, and announce it so that if possible players could act as bodyguards, in case other parties want to then try to assasinate them. For whatever reason GM so and so decides to do so, etc..

It would at least add more weekly events like the hillgiant rampage, although this would be considerably harder to plan/execute.

However, while gone, the GM could appoint another NPC to handle guild duties so that the guild situation would not be affected (train wise), nor have the problem with city defending/walking into spells.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

why not have an employment place where you can subscribe
for jobs:

- like bodyguarding a npc travelling from vaerlon to atherton
- deliver an item to a certain place

and some place where you can get the job to retrieve the item or kill the NPC
should be lvl based like in a range from lvl 20 to lvl 30

would be some nice pk action
apex

Post by apex »

what if rather than a GM, some sort of envoy (though within the guild halls of their respective guilds) was coded into each guild (could be coded anew to be balanced (yet difficult and different)- killing this evnoy would have some effect on the guild itself (like stopping training, or stat/skill decrease for all members for x amount of time). Needless to say, killing an envoy would have to be very difficult- but could be fun... this way you could work it out so that the envoy was in an area a newbie WOULDN'T be, unless, of course, he WAS defending (designated wing or something).
this could even be a "guild president" or "guild leader" that's the head honcho even over the GM....

the problem w/ the impromptu event thing is it means that people would have to agree on times/and places- in other words if, say one guild's phase is in effect, the other may be reluctant to enter... the continuous target idea makes it a factor of the game, and the penalty for the death of your "envoy" gives reason to participate (though this penalty shouldn't/wouldn't be a huge one- so that those that dont wnat to participate don't feel like they absolutely HAVE to)
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

that would be an highbie event then imo :p Like almost everything that has to do with pkilling.. sd is nice in pk, but only if you know the coming battlefield, and can go there first, lurking and waiting, and continuosly typing use backstab at x.
Not fun :/ Anyways, would seem like a good idea.. but I would rather prefer to see some channel dedicated to pkilling, like where you could organize some bigger killing things, maybe to some 'huge' arena, where there wouldnt be that nether penalty for pkilling... I would like that :/ But that's one of the things that kinda needs continuous watching and maintaining to make it fair for each. Maybe add some wager to the winner to that.. last man standing thingie or something, dunno..
iluth

Re: PK in icesus.

Post by iluth »

artic wrote:As long as there is PlayerKilling there is whining. If someone gets killed by a single backstab, they whine that backstab is too powerful, and should be tuned. If a shadowdancer gets melee'd to death by a templar, they might whine that dancers get too low melee. etc. Thats all quite normal.
Theres always ben a cure: like if you don't want to get backstabbed, run really fast, and if you dont want to get meleed, get a better armour and set all to defence and run when you see danger.
However this recent addition to the system just cant fit in my head. Assasination traps.

Heres an example:

Code: Select all

Not realising that there is a trap you walk straight into it!
You hear a faint hiss and before you realize it, your right hand is freezing by exploding magical energies!
That really hurt!
...and you become a living icicle!
You are frozen solid, and completely unable to move!
You can't fight it. You can't run from it. And avoiding it is almost impossible. If they want, they can kill you for fun, and theres nothing you can do about it. Armour is useless against magic, resistance eq does not work either...
Ok, lets be smart about this, if you cant fight it, or run from it, makes sense that you have to avoid it. How?
1) Don't go to train. Others can do what they want. you can only level, if they let you. Dont seem fair to me.
2) Learn 'detect traps'. Its not a garatied saviour, and at my current level it would cost me 3MIL to get it to 15%. I would have to take 4 levels outside my guild. I know of no other guild that is _forced_ to take levels outside of their guild. dont seem fair to me. seems like shadowdancers are so good, you need to cut them down 4 levels? I don't think so.
You might also suggest trying not to move into rooms that are trapped, but thats impossible. There is no way to get to the guild, no way that cant be trapped. A single straight road. prefect for laying a number of traps in a row and than wayting in a safe room for the message that you hit something.
Oh, and theres also that one: 'Too bad, Sucks to be you! If you don't like it, reincarnate!'. Well thats not the answer. How about I attack you- just attack, no kill. Every time you think its safe to sleep in the outworld, or when you come to your camp to regen- ill stab you. ill make sure that you spend 95% of you play time regenning. Theres no rule that says i can't do that. And if you whine about it ill just say: 'Too bad! Sucks to be you! If you don't like it: type 'suicide' and make a new char with a different name.!'

So anyway, i think these traps are wierd. i have nothing against mages being able to damage me with their traps. Just if you take away my chance to fight back, my chance to run and my chance to avoid- it seems rather pointless.
Or maybe im missing someting? Can you explain this to me?
The magical traps are a nice addition to the game, but the fact that a mage can abuse the hell out of them in Graemor is a little bit of an oversight, a mage can plant one outside the death temple (which has one exit) and is 100 percent guaranteed to kill a Graemorian who has freshly popped out of nether plane.

This happened recently to a low level dancer, he was pk'd by a mage in Graemor and walked right into a trap left outside death temple, no choice but to keep dying until the mage got bored or ran out of spell points.

Either Graemor's layout should be changed to allow dancers more than one route to the guild and temple (and the other guilds their routes) or dancers should at least be able to have some magical traps of their own (shadow traps?) to retaliate to the mages.

(hopefully Echcua will read this sometime? :D)
rotax

Post by rotax »

how about traps get changed so instead of going off when you enter a room, they go off when you leave the room they are in? Then you can have a chance to simply "search" the room before you set off the trap. If you find a trap, you can leave the room without triggering it. Maybe you can force mages to set a trap on an exit to a room only.
felgand

Post by felgand »

There is a skill, detect traps, that does this already...and it is learnable through use.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

so the mages are actually slowly making the shadowdancers stronger. good thought.