New subs = New levels?

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

dunn

New subs = New levels?

Post by dunn »

With all the increasing amount of sub guilds planned, artisans, smithing, possibly with mining back, does that mean we could also increase the level maximum of 100?

That might give the older players something more to do.

And while we're at it, increase the exp cap. :)
asventral
Supporting Member 2007

Post by asventral »

That would have some side effects for concerned players
like:
- More chance to increase stats without training them
- No need of other players for those subs jobs

I'm not sure this would be a good thing for Icesus balance.
zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

I'm not entirely sure if it's easy to code the exp cap away, this sounds like an job for *cough* Tumi! :)
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Firstly artisans and smithing will be main guild. Miners may be part of that main guild but might also be an open sub. Secondly level limit is not probably ever going to move from 100 just because a single player is not meant to have everything that is available in game. Use reinc if you want to try different stuff :)
dunn

Post by dunn »

Okay, a level limit of 100 sounds reasonable but this has brought up an interesting point about the exp cap, and should it be coded away towards something new, perhaps?

I'm not even going to go into smithing and artisans as main guilds because that would make my head spin. :)

I've gotten the idea that once a player has reached max regular exp, they could go into "tier" mode, where it would start at 1 and calculate from there any new exp until they get to the next tier(level).

Obviously, this is just a framework for something else that could be implemented to make use of a tier system. If exp goes into a variable on a player, I think an efficient coding option would be to pipe it to a new one and increment a tier variable once that has been reached.

This could at least be used to show off how much total worth a player has gathered, without having it unbalance the game. Sriel shouldn't have to fall behind in exp totals just because he's reached a cap. ;)

At least the plaque could reflect that. (Tier 1) Being after regular exp cap has been reached.. And so on.
tumi
Wizard

Post by tumi »

Thanks for the trust guys, but really its not simple to code away 32-bit (signed) int cap for exp. I once asked Cutter about it, and I recall he said the mud driver doesn't support even unsigned ints (which would double the cap, no need for negative exp really).

So basically we need a conversion or somesuch soon when more and more people will be hitting 2g, or the rebirth which has been long planned, but not much progressed..
"Just a newbie-friendly, mostly idle but still area-coding wiz from old days"

tumi@icesus.org
rotax

Post by rotax »

I didnt even realize there was an xp cap.... 32 bit unsigned int, so I assume it's 2,147,483,647? Has anyone hit that cap yet?
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Perhaps a poorly thought out workaround is in order.

If there were a way to decrement total exp people could stay under the limit. Create a whole new concept... say something called megexp. People can buy one megexp point with a million exp. It is deducted from their total exp (not the guild exp that people have paid training cash for, the other stuff) and stays with them forever, though should be factored in to the reinc losses.

Now you just need something to do with megexp points.

Here we enter the poorly thought out section... but some possibilities to get people thinking...
  • - Rework higher guild levels and advance points to require megexp points instead of exp
    - Special cool races that require a certain number of megexp to reincarnate into
    - Some special abilities could be purchased. I'm thinking a list rather like the the special constant blessings, but things that are learned rather than biological. A conjure food for 10 megexps... its a duplicate, but leadership for 40 megexps or so... think up better things, but soak up the megexps with them.
The advantage of intruducing megexps is that you don't have to do a 64 bit conversion on the nice stable engine, but you still manage to keep an accurate record of a player's total experience. The nusiance comes in coded megexp and thinking of things to do with it.
daic
Supporting Member 2015

New races

Post by daic »

New races for big fellows would be nice. Maybe not completely new races, but somehow improved races. Somehow like this:
Snakeman --> Draconian, Elf -->Silver Elf ect ect.
Half-Demi-Semi-god-players would be nice
Little Orcs, Burarum!
They come with axes, they come with fire, gnawing, biting, burning hacking, breaking!
Destroyers and usurpers curse them!
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

Daic has a good point, but something new perhaps? Salvatore and those Dragonlance writers already use those.. I`ve seen in some other muds I´ve been playing whilst not icesus exping (got bored, sorry guys :/ ), I´ve seen quite a lot of some Dragon pets, where you can train and exp them, and those were only available after certain point of the game, or lvl actually.. Or as in one web browser game that I played before I got introduced to icesus, there was this idea of pets which can fight alongside you, and you trained them once in a day (24h server reset), and those helped in pvp, and pvm... But we only got it to testing phase, and dropped the idea.... also the whole game went down one day because of server/hackers/lack of money to keep the game up... :( Could´ve been admin there but :cry: Ok, I got lost of the topic, I dont think pets will be a good idea to icesus, but it´s still an idea.
And those half orc, half-elf combination would be wicked too, but only after certain level in which you can reinc and do a thing like that, or maybe pay a tribute to your god which might accept your offer, and change you a bit. * Lame *