Common courtesy & "kill stealing".

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

jared wrote:Fully allowed PK would most likely lead into bashing. Like in, hey i dont like that newbie, so i keep killing him.. i doubt the newbie would find it very fun way to play, tho i might. Basicaly the problem seems to be the mentality of the players in like all the netbased games, there are people who will play like it was meant, but there also will be those who won't. My self, i dont have anything against some PK'ing, but i dont think it should be fully allowed..
*nods*. Hence the rules ought to be very straight-forward to not, in any way, encourage this mentally disoriented minority to spoil the fun for the larger community. In my opinion the current rules, albeit being strict, have managed to serve this purpose well.
Stalker
huck
Wizard

Post by huck »

not to mention that a player could kill someone and simply switch the variable back to off... unless it was permanent... still i never liked the feature either.
|I|C|E|S|U|S| my anti-drug
lemi

hrm

Post by lemi »

maybe if we made it so you could still kill people while the variable was set to off, but unless there was a reason for it you could get in trouble.

kind of like setting the variable to off, leaves everything as it is now, but setting the variable to on, makes it so that you can get killed without the killer getting in trouble no matter what.

so basically the variables wouldn't really do anything except maybe have some kind of display in people's "fingers", so you could finger them to tell if you could kill them safely or not. they would mainly be there for logs so that when you wizzies go check up on a PK issue, you can say, "Well your PK variable was set to On.", etc.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Post by odovacar »

Why not take advantage the shadowdancers guild, who are aching for some hit contracts?
A person needs killing someone, he hires an assassin to do it.
This also solves the problem for people who want to take their vengence on higher-levelled players.
It shouldn't be too difficult letting the target know WHY and WHO wants him dead, and you can easily incorporate some regulations into it to prevent abuse (assassins don't just kill anyone for no reason).

Cheers,
Odo
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
iluth

Post by iluth »

the pk switch idea could have a time limit, if you mark yourself as being able to pk, you can legally pk other pk'ers for 24 hours or so. and of course if you are marked as a pk'er, you can't issue somebody if you get killed yourself

this way the people who want to pk can have their fun, and not bother the players who don't want it, it also stops people from getting pk'ed while they have huge amounts of exp on

still i don't think the wizzes would allow this ever, with any pk system there would be a way to exploit it so you could annoy other players
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

labinac wrote: -----------------------------------
on another note... what was this topic originally about?
kill stealing...?
-----------------------------------
lab
Yep...perhaps a new thread is needed for PK, and this one can go back to its roots?

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
lemi

hrm

Post by lemi »

the topic was about ways to settle the kill stealing problem. PKing is one of the proposed solutions.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
tanstai

Post by tanstai »

True, but it does seem that PK has become the focus of the thread, and not just as one of the solutions for kill stealing.

Tanstai
wield Life
You don't have a Life.
maruxus
Wizard

Post by maruxus »

odovacar wrote:Why not take advantage the shadowdancers guild, who are aching for some hit contracts?
A person needs killing someone, he hires an assassin to do it.
This also solves the problem for people who want to take their vengence on higher-levelled players.
It shouldn't be too difficult letting the target know WHY and WHO wants him dead, and you can easily incorporate some regulations into it to prevent abuse (assassins don't just kill anyone for no reason).

Cheers,
Odo
This is one of the best ideas I've heard, if we could get enough people to agree that a shadowdancer killing by contract would be exempt from pk rules, and of course there would have to be proof of the contract. Of course the shadowdancers would probably end up setting outrageous prices and very few would be able to use their services.
jared
Supporting Member 2018

Post by jared »

If we'd assume Shadowdancers would have some kind of contract system that they'd use to pk people, that would imo awaken hatred against the shadowdancers but.. considering the onesideness of this kind of system, no one would be allowed to pk the shadowdancers? Sounds quite lame to my ear. Atleast i wouldnt accept that some punk would kill me and leave without the fear of retaliation.
stalker
Wizard

Post by stalker »

jared wrote:If we'd assume Shadowdancers would have some kind of contract system that they'd use to pk people, that would imo awaken hatred against the shadowdancers but.. considering the onesideness of this kind of system, no one would be allowed to pk the shadowdancers? Sounds quite lame to my ear. Atleast i wouldnt accept that some punk would kill me and leave without the fear of retaliation.
Another problem is that people can always reinc in and out of the guild, hence they could contract-pkill people for a few weeks and if the heat gets too disturbing they just reinc out. :|
Stalker
lemi

blah

Post by lemi »

make it so that when the shadowdancer completes the contract his reputation goes down all the way. nobody likes an assassin. then when they reinc their reputation will remain in it's horrible state.

it's a wonderful idea.
grainer
Supporting Member 2015

Post by grainer »

jared wrote:If we'd assume Shadowdancers would have some kind of contract system that they'd use to pk people, that would imo awaken hatred against the shadowdancers but.. considering the onesideness of this kind of system, no one would be allowed to pk the shadowdancers? Sounds quite lame to my ear. Atleast i wouldnt accept that some punk would kill me and leave without the fear of retaliation.
You could retaliate to the player that bought your assassination since you'd (of course, because otherwise it would be absurd) get a message telling you who was behind all this, when you die.

Post by Guest »

create another assasin guild, then the shadowdancers would have competition (lower prices) and the other assasins could kill shadowdancers on contract. but the whole thing would start a feud. :twisted:
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Post by odovacar »

jared wrote:If we'd assume Shadowdancers would have some kind of contract system that they'd use to pk people, that would imo awaken hatred against the shadowdancers
If you're talking RP hatred then by all means, assassins should be feared and possibly hated. If you mean RL hatred, I think most people are mature enough to understand they can be punished for improper behaviour, the "tool" can be another player and they shouldn't take it personally. This can be specified in the web pages / help files aswell so new players will be aware of it. A good idea would be adding some paragraph to the documentation section (newbie hints perhaps?) titled "Etiquette" explaining some of the "unwritten" rules of Icesus and mudding and mentioning possible reactions for breaking of these rules.
jared wrote:but.. considering the onesideness of this kind of system, no one would be allowed to pk the shadowdancers?
Sounds quite lame to my ear. Atleast i wouldnt accept that some punk would kill me and leave without the fear of retaliation.
stalker wrote: Another problem is that people can always reinc in and out of the guild, hence they could contract-pkill people for a few weeks and if the heat gets too disturbing they just reinc out. :|
I propose the following solution to these problems:
The Guild Master is just what the title means. Master of the guild. Contracts should be assigned by him/her to specific player (or players) and they can ask for other players' help, offering money/eq/other benefits for that help. The leader will base their decision on several factors, some of them can be how long the player has been active in the guild, their performance in recent guild events, etc.
Leading the guild should entail some responsibilities (and this goes not only for shadowdancers). I agree this might be a bit problematic if the leader doesn't perform well, but assuming the guild leader is a seasoned mudder and has some mental maturity, this shouldn't develop into my-best-friend-and-me-get-all-the-contracts kind of business and if it does, it can be issued (or solved shadowdancers' style, by killing the leader).

Another idea: Perhaps some token ring mechanism can be applied to share contracts between all players, i.e. a player doesn't get another contract until all other player have got their contracts. Or maybe devotion could be weighted into it some way.

And concerning the price problem. I think prices should be permanently set (like teleport prices perhaps?) and the assassins themselves should care less for the monitary reward and more for the devotion they get (or titles, if that'll be possible).

Cheers,
Odo
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.