Common courtesy & "kill stealing".

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

kade wrote: In fact, why not follow someone around in an area that's just barely beyond their ability to finish off the mobs in one run and kill everything as they flee? That sounds like the definition of good gamesmanship.
Hmm... very good idea, and you know what most shadowdancers (and some other guilds) can do this so well, you wont even see them doing it. You'll just find your monsters gone as you come back, but wont find any players from the area. heh, they dont even have to follow you, they can sense where you are.

I wonder why they dont do that... hmm... must have something to do with being too human- weak, pathetic humans...
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Look, to suggest that I agree with the idea of waiting for some one to flee from a mob then kill it is one.)insulting :evil: and two.) totally ignoreing what I said. I said that if some one is fightin a mob it is their kill, if they run away from in then come back it can still be theirs but if they needlessly wait to come back to it then they shouldn't be upset if some one else got to it first. also something those that have been busting on me seem to have forgotten is, if you are fightin a mob in room B then run off to room A to rest an I come into B from C how am I to know if you are comeing back for it? I do believe in fair play thank you, if I come into a room an you are fightin mob 1 an not 2 but you tell me to take off cause you are getting ready to use a area effect spell then say so! I mean how much harder is it to type "big spell comeing" then "get lost", I mean if you tell me you're about to nuke the room I'll be gone so fast all you'll see is a afterimage but if all you say is shoo or get out of here or something like that then how am I to know you are shooing me off for my own good? I still stand by my belief of what "kill stealing" is an yes I will continue to play by it, if other players don't like that then fine report me to the wizards, of course I think they will be more inclined to hear me out in my own defence before judgeing me based soley on the belief some of you have that if some one thinks its only kill stealing if you kill a mob that some one else is fighting that means they think its ok to sneak around waiting for others to flee mobs after weakening them then kill the mob.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

common (unspoken) rules written for all to see

Post by solar »

1. You can lite wounded monsters.

2. Always presume that wounded monsters are not for your taking, since most of the time people will return to claim their kill.

3. If the monster in question is in good shape or slightly hurt, you could ask about it in a public channel (like ice) or if there are players in the surrounding rooms/area's campsite

4. It is considered rude to start a battle in a room where someone is currently fighting, some of the monsters consider their fellows as 'friends' and this could lead to "accidental" killstealing (if you attack one, the other aggroes too). If there's a player in the room with a monster, but no fighting so far, ask before you try to attack that monster, since some of the monsters are critical to quest completion.

5. By being rude to others, they can be rude to you - or someone else. If you don't want to be killed on sight, don't provoke others. Ask before you act. By asking before acting, the other player might do the same in the future to the third player, who might continue the tradition, and as a result we'll have a good and working system and friendly player relations.

(Personally I dislike people who ignore the guidelines above.)
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

mandrake wrote: if you are fightin a mob in room B then run off to room A to rest an I come into B from C how am I to know if you are comeing back for it?
So if you came to room B and find mob 'foo' in very bad shape, you kill it because you didnt know that someone was killing it? You didn't know that they would be coming back for it?

I say (and most people that i have met, feel the same) if a monster has healed up again (to exelent shape) then it free game again. but if its already slightly hurt, you should ask if someone is killing it...

And even if i rest in room C (wich way u came to room B), you would still not see me...

P.S and im not insulting anyone: read your own posts, i alway quote the parts that inspire me, read them and maybe, just maybe choose your words more carefully, so that everyone would understand them they way you do.
iluth

Post by iluth »

mandrake wrote:I said that if some one is fightin a mob it is their kill, if they run away from in then come back it can still be theirs but if they needlessly wait to come back to it then they shouldn't be upset if some one else got to it first.
A little knowledge about other guilds help to persuade you why stealing those sort of kills is a bad idea, in my guild i've sometimes left a mob for 10 minutes (can only backstab a mob once every 10 minutes) and come back to finish it off, also remember that there might be a hidden archer/mage/stabber in the room with that mob waiting for sp or ep to regen, whatever. Bad idea to try and steal any kills at all, even blockers, if you can't get a response on channels asking about it, too bad, not everybody is tuned to the channels.
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

Guilds

Post by janeti »

Getting knowledge about your own guild is hard enough, getting info about others is just impossible.
kanje

Post by kanje »

Imo,

define kill stealing :
1. Killing injured mobs [which others are probably attacking]
2. Killing mobs in a room which others are present
3. Moving into a room and attacking a mob [where another pc is present fighting]

Infringement of rules can easily be taken to admin and let them deal with it.

Other guidelines that I think will let us enjoy the adventures more.

1. Always respect that others who are first in the room have the right of killing for the mob/item
2. If you really want to kill that mob, ask the pc in the room first. It's polite. If request is declined, hey it will respawn some time.
3. Try not to pick up items on the ground, when other pc[s] are in there. Same thing, ask first.

Lastly, I do not believe these guidelines are applicable in pk zones. Pk zones = free looting zone.
kraven
Supporting Member 2012

Post by kraven »

maruxus wrote:This may be a bit extreme, but what if we were to change the PK rule to state (and this is just a rough draft)

"All PK shall be legal as long as there is an in-game ie. Roleplay reason deemed worthy by the Administration."

Sorry say but "roleplaying reason?" ppl dont play "roles" here..they just keep beating exp,chatting,finding typos/bugs,whining etc but there is no real "roleplaying" here so hard to admins judge who has rp reason to kill someone :(
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

i can give you a roleplay reason!

Kraven kicks Aarmon in the butt lovingly.
Aarmon attacks Kraven.
Kraven dies.
Administrator gives two thumps up. =D>

no?

*aarmon runs around looking for cover*
apex

Post by apex »

Heh, Kraven, aren't we digging a bit far into the history of this post? Maruxus hasn't been for almost half a year now.