Curses...

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Curses...

Post by artic »

I tried to write this post 2-3 times and never found the best words to say it, but...

Curses S***! Its a totally s***id unbalanced system, giving a unfair advantage to the Coven and making it next to impossible to play for the not-so-active players like me.
estiela
Supporting Member 2005

Post by estiela »

My my, Covens can only purge the curse.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Just find a coven. Not all of them charge usurious rates. You might need to make an appointment, it hurts them pretty badly so they probably don't want to do it while exping.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

As i understand, im supposed to buy a quite valuable item. Unfortunately im a very slow player, my entire fortune summes up to 175K. So paying half of that to get rid of a curse seems absurd, especially if theres no guaranty that the curse wonÂ’t return.

Maybe for players who make 500K in a single session, this seems like just a bit of fun. I make 50K in a single session and spend 400K on a single skill %. For me this seems like extortion.

Heres, what I think is wrong with this system:
- Its way easy to get cursed and unbelievably hard to remove curse. When I first heard what it takes to remove curse, I thought the person was lying to get more money out of me.
- The system benefits only a small group of players and is involuntary for the victims unlike the reinc system or the shadowdancer joining fee.
- It effectively makes slow players even slower, increasing the gap between them and other players even more. Slower because in my case I lost my only means of regenning, resulting in double the normal regen rates, making me impossible to bear in any party and increasing the time it will take me to amass the money for removing this curse.
- Also, if I got this curse on a random basis, than is it quite possible that after playing for a week to get rid of this curse I might just get a new one in a matter of minutes. Spending all my time on getting rid of curses is just not fun.
apex

Post by apex »

curses don't seem THAT widespread. besides a bleak curse Misrobo put on me, I haven't recieved one yet..
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

Artic: The monster you killed that gave you that curse with his last breath provided you with mountains of cash. You will need an item of about 1/5 that value to break the curse.

Really, it's not so bad. The curses are almost all given for certain player actions. Think of them as personal quests.

There is one that is fairly random, but it is the most minor of curses and most people don't bother to have it removed.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I dont know what monster you think cursed me. I havent killed anything that valuable.
Either there is a bug, and i got cursed by something that isnt supposed to curse, or i have been lied to about the valu of the item needed to remove curse.

Mountain of cash u say, sorry never seen them.

/edit:

Tried removing the curse with items i see dropping every day. Didnt work. Seems the 40-50K appraise value is just about right. But that just doesnt seem to fit with what Misrobo saied about the moster dropping more money than it would cost to remove the curse.

Also some ideas:
Make it possible for coven to tell who cursed me.
Make it more visible when i get cursed.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

Making the coven being able to tell who cursed you is just silly, making it more visible at the time is a good idea however. Probably a bit of bold text wouldn't go astray but I think thats all that is required. It doesn't really matter who cursed you, thats in the past , your main goal is now to remove the curse.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

You cursed players are now obvious to the coven. Maybe there will be more opportunities for them to break curses.
midrien

Post by midrien »

Im quite at a loss here of what you're talking about. I tried a simple look in the help files under "Curse" "Cursing" or "Curses". Nothing showed up.

Is it too much of a spoiler to tell what these curses do? Can I get one totally at random?
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

Curses are all in your head. It works like this. If you think someone cursed you, you blame anything that happens to you on the curse, and on the one who put it on you.
For example, if you have a realy bad fishing luck(cathcing only bleaks), and you don't want to blame yourself and your low fishing skill, you blame it on the curse.
If you decide to rest in some place infested by rats, and one bites you while you're asleep, you blame it on some other curse.
If allofasudden you discover you have a tail, and you have no recollections of having it before, you don't don't blame your bad memory, insted you blame that suspicious old lady at the bar, where you was getting drunk last night.

And now for the serious part.
Afaik: Players can't give curses. covenants can only _try_ to break the curse, _if_ they choose to do so.
Afaik: Some bigger mobs can give you a curse, probably to avenge their death.
Afaik: Wizards can give you a curse, if for some reason they might think that you deserve one, although with wizards, you never know.

And, the last, but not least "help who to ask" links Misrobo to curses, tough i doubt this information is useful.

P.S. And yes, there doesn't seem to be any helpfiles.
P.S.S. from certain spell helpfile: "...is a difficult process and requires a _valuable object_ to <left blank by me> the curse."
Beyond good..
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Re: Moo

Post by artic »

etadan wrote: Afaik: Some bigger mobs can give you a curse, probably to avenge their death.
And
misrobo wrote: Artic: The monster you killed that gave you that curse with his last breath provided you with mountains of cash. You will need an item of about 1/5 that value to break the curse.
I never killed anything big. The biggest thing i remember recently killing is a certain 15K wolf and that dropped no cash at all.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

On October 14, 14:20 server time you killed a monster and it cursed you. The cash value of the monster's leavings was around 100k.
apex

Post by apex »

Ouch! Someone did his homework!
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Finally got rid of the curse, using a 41K appraise value item. Thanks!
misrobo wrote:On October 14, 14:20 server time you killed a monster and it cursed you. The cash value of the monster's leavings was around 100k.
I wish i knew what monster this was. It probably dropped something that didnt look valuable, cause i never picked it up. :( All in all, i have trouble believing i am even able to kill monster that drop 100K items, but if u say so, it must be true.