Player killing

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

jared
Supporting Member 2018

Player killing

Post by jared »

Yeah, like in the kill stealing thread some one suggested there should be maybe a new thread for player killing stuff :shock:

Basically imo Icesus don't need PK'ing allowed. But i _would_ like to see more of events like the epriests+shadowdancers vs vaerlonians, including the pk. Tho, what i heard was even that produced couple of issues. IMO good old fashion role playing includes player killing, that ensures the exitement :twisted:
But other than that i don't miss player killing here in icesus, like i've said before, i've played a mud with allowed pk'ing and contracting system for over seven years.. so i might even know what i'm talking about.

Mainly i'd like to see what do the other players think about pk'ing, do icesus need it or not. And please, don't just burst out your idea, think about it first and maybe rationalize your ideas.
wicred

Post by wicred »

I'm with you in the event idea.
Some sort of Guild wars would be nice, tho i'd probably get killed but anyways..

Like Mages vs. Sorcerers and such.

And about PK'ing, it would probably bring more excitement in gaming, since you can't be sure if that guy you're partying with will betray you for money and kill you, or something. :)
And that would include a "reputation" but in a way of players reputation..
Example. I go kill everyone that talks to me.. Everyone will fear me aye?

but this wast just a newbies point of view :wink:
respect me, or i won't heal you!
wicred

Post by wicred »

Oops a bit old topic but.. who cares :P
respect me, or i won't heal you!
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

actually I think PK'ing could be fun yet still control...simple set up some "safe" areas...like some parts of towns...a players apartment stuff like that....I like the idea of letting it effect a player's rep
janeti
Supporting Member 2006

PKing

Post by janeti »

If you enjoy PK so much go and do it on another MUD, or head to Graemor. Personally I play Icesus because it does limit PK so strongly.
kade

Post by kade »

I don't want to see player killing as a constant. The atmosphere here is great for working together. However, an event that happens every so often world wide would be fine, as long as there were a flag you could set so you wouldn't be PKable, and couldn't PK. That would prevent highbies from slaughtering the younger players and such. If there were a flag like that, it should default to non-pk, so if someone changes it they did so knowing the possible consequences. And again I would only really want to see that for a limited event, with possibly some guild vs guild action. Any thoughts on that?
rixa

Post by rixa »

We have event were players kill another players (tho they wont die). In arena and if you want to test your skills to another player go to arena. The place is near Atherton, go to explore.

Current champion of the Gladiator event is Felgand
felgand

PK'ing

Post by felgand »

Having spent time on MUDs that both prohibit pk'ing and ones that encourage PK (as a method of roleplay), it certainly has its place on Icesus. However, by necessity, limits do need to be placed (and sufficient punishment for breaking these limits) to ensure an environment that encourages partying and discourages excessive (aka childish) bloodthirstiness while still maintaining the extra spice pk gives to a MUD. To this end, I think the admins have done a good job in maintaining a workable balance that makes Icesus enjoyable.

You do bring up some interesting points, however. More mud-wide events that focus upon rivalries between factions are a nice touch but several things need to be improved upon to even the odds a bit more, I think. Most of all, there is only one guild located in Graemor at the moment...the Shadowdancers, compared to nearly every other guild that is located either within Vaerlon itself or is part of the Kingdom of Valkor. I think it might be reasonable to place the sorcerers (which are lead by rather evil dark elves anyway) within the kingdom of Graemor to help even the odds in addition to the revitalized earth priests. In addition, I think that the arena could be expanded upon (which I'll go into more detail on the idea forum) to give folks more options in sparring with each other and perhaps make it more interesting for all parties concerned.
mandrake

Post by mandrake »

Now I never said I enjoyed PK'ing like some wannabe slasher, I just meant I liked the idea of it being a little more allowable an effecting a player's rep, however I do think it would need some control. One MUD I have heard alot about that allows it freely does have some nice controls on it; warrants can be put out on "killers" an sometimes players can even get a reward for "bringing them to justice", plus if a highbe is goin out of their way to kill of newbies then the owners themselves will come down an smoke their butts for it. This could even lead to the makeing of new guilds like bounty hunters or sheriffs. But all an all I really enjoy Icesus, as is or with PK'ing
malag
Supporting Member 2005

Post by malag »

I like icesus the way it is. Pk is not allowed in general but you can still do it if you wish to do so. Arena or Graemor. We have a good balance, ppl who dont like to be pkilled can stay out of graemor and not join the events while ppl who like pk:ing may go to graemor and stalk ppl freely there...

Great job from the wizards in my opion!
phu

Post by phu »

I think pk can be a fun and interesting twist to any mud...and using that flag idea would make it fair, just have anyone that wants to pk type something like 'gopk' then they can pk and be pked :) I dont like the idea of safe rooms if there is pk, or atleast not alot of them, to many cowards would attack someone, see they are going to die, run to safe room and then talk big. and if pk is allowed it should be rped..if you just want to fight go to arena...thats just my 2 cents
Run!! its the Mooses again!!
dyzmal

Post by dyzmal »

maybe a switch wouldn't be bad but PKing gets so damn lame. after about a week of it people start getting cocky and all of icesus will be filled with "omglolzipwn3dj00"'s and people with names like "Eb1LDaRkn3SS" running around killing newbies and thinking that it is proving something when all it is doing is wasting everyone's time.