Want your own hut? Read this!

General forum for game-related discussion.

Moderator: Moderators

mizzt
Supporting Member 2011

Want your own hut? Read this!

Post by mizzt »

There are so many players asking me about what huts are and whay they are for, so I decided to collect some info here:

Huts can be build on all land locations, so no more huts in rivers, areas or on any water (except you can build hut on frozen rivers and lakes and such on your own risk). (previously it was possible to build huts to anywhere, but now its fixed.)

But before you start dreaming about your own hut in middle of treeless island or deep deep in the halls of mordo....I mean deep in mountains, you have to consider few things.
Building hut takes:
- 100 planks
- 20 timber

So there are two options:
- Either start felling trees in the hut location (might be good idea if the location is far away, or in a island or such) but that requires forest.
- Carry those with carts and such. About 40-50 planks fit into covered cart, and there is no way to get timber into cart since nobody (please fix me if I am wrong) can carry a timber. Also only 1 timber fits into wagon. So moving materials take time.
Also building a hut with 3 artisans took like an hour or more. So also building them takes a lot of time.

Then to huts itself:
When hut is created, it creates hut-exit to the room from which you can enter the hut.
You can change the ownership of the hut.

Few facts:
- Hut saves all stuff on the floor, but you really shouldnt try keeping your mount in hut over boot, since it might not work.
- Huts need repair every now and then, that is, about once a week.
- Only carpenters can repair huts. But since carpenters is open guild, anyone can join it and repair their own huts.
- Misrobo is coding system which keeps track of people who enter hut not their own. So stealing from huts can be VERY bad for your health.

And few things that might(dont blame me if they wont) come to huts:
- Huts might be regening places in near future.
- Huts might serve as safe leave game place.

Well, thats all I can recall now. Ask me more questions and I'll add them here.

Oh right, about price.
I am usually asking 500k for building a hut.
There might be extra fee if the location is far far away or in such location that it requires extra-effort to get the materials there. But we can discuss about that personally.

Now there are also secure chests, three differend sizes.
They come with key, you can lock the chest to hut floor and it will be secure, you cannot unlock it without key and you cannot pick it up either. You can pick it up again after you unlock it.

Update:
When hut breaks because lack of maintenace, the stuff inside wont disappear, instead they will be piled nicely outside of the huts ruin. Hut cannot be repaired after it breaks but a new hut can be always build.

- Mizzt, your local hut builder
Last edited by mizzt on Wed Jan 04, 2006 00:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyppi

Post by hyppi »

heres a couple questions..are two huts able to be built on the same tile? and also, if a hut was built, would it render the tile useless like if it is forest, does it remove the trees?

-powan
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

You should not build two huts in the same room. You could not get in to one of them. I would have to thump the person that built the second one.

Building a hut does not stop the room from being what it was. It just adds another exit.
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

why not have the ability for multiple huts and use enter hut 1, enter hut 2, etc to get in ??? or enter <name> hut, name being owners name or some such...
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
mizzt
Supporting Member 2011

Post by mizzt »

Because creating hut makes "hut" exit in the room. You cannot use any "enter hut" command and that would be bad anyways, since you couldnt get mounts inside.
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

Then perhaps a tweak of the code so that the hut builder can specify the exit name instead of 'hut' as a build variable ?

*peers into the 'too hard basket' *
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
allanon

Post by allanon »

Aside from being 'a bit' difficult, you could have some abuse problems there if people wanted to be funny with the exit names. Ie...

Code: Select all

Allanon leaves to the hell.
...and that would be a hassle for wizards to, ah, fix. So I doubt it will be changed. Besides, I can't think of too many locations where there is space for only one hut, if you really want a hut next to <xxx> then just move one more room away...not that big a deal. I'm sure with enough money you could bribe someone to change their location, if you are really determined.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
mizzt
Supporting Member 2011

Post by mizzt »

I reinced out of artisan today, go ahead and make your own huts.

- mizzt - your local unfriendly ex-hut builder
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

I'm doing huts on a limited basis, inquire for details, but I don't promise I'll do it.
mizzt
Supporting Member 2011

Post by mizzt »

Kwendasir can make huts when he is around. And I have done lots of huts with him so he has almost same masteries and skills. And he can of course use my tools :)

- mizzt