Sneaking

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

artic
Supporting Member 2005

Sneaking

Post by artic »

It is rather hard to succeed in sneaking, but once you do it rather cool... until you notice that its not!
There are some minor problems with sneaking in general:
First homing missiles- if someone has started a spell at you, and you sneak into the room, although the person can not see you, the spell has like a homing device on it, cause it finds you anyway.
Second is guards- if i have rendered myself invisible to a guard, why cant i sneak past him? If sneaking past guards would really be a bad thing, i think you should add a message that says something like 'As you try to sneak past the guard he noticec you!' and then the normal message of 'The guard blocks your way and...'.
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

Well, sneaking is abuse anyway :) it's only fair that monsters can cheat a lil bit too.
Seriosly, even if you move into the room silently, monsters can look around from time to time, notice you, and not attack blindly like always, but pretend they didn't notice you and hit you with a spell first.
As with blocking monsters.. well, you definitely shouldn't be able to sneak pask the guards, since that would require to recode many areas. Some message would be nice though, i agree
Beyond good..
belannaer
Wizard

Post by belannaer »

Mostly there's something of great value behind blockers and that's why we don't want people to sneak past them. Though it isn't too hard to code that an invisible player could sneak past them. Homing missiles ie. spells could be changed so that you cannot cast them if you don't actually see the target.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

belannaer wrote: Homing missiles ie. spells could be changed so that you cannot cast them if you don't actually see the target.
Well i understand the blockers, but some nice messages about them noticing you when you try to sneak past would be nice. The spells however: you would need to add a check at the end of the spell, that checks wheter the target is visible, because at the start of th spell i might have been visible, but i have moved and in the end of the spell the caster cant really see me, so in what direction does he release the spell?
galiere
Wizard

Post by galiere »

Instead of complaining, why not wait for a couple of seconds before going back to the creature you are killing?:)

Spells hit automatically anyway, if you succeed in them. It's within the reach of logic to assume they can also hit you even if you cannot be seen, as long as you are within range and the spellcaster was able to identify you at the time he began the casting process.

It was a game design decision (GDD) to prevent sneaking past guards. Imagine a group of guards standing shoulder to shoulder at the gate. No way past them, invisible or not. Naturally big B is free to make new GDDs and rules:)

There are real problems with the sneak code too, thankfully you haven't found them out yet:)
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

galiere wrote:Instead of complaining, why not wait for a couple of seconds before going back to the creature you are killing?
So I quess, i have to give the monsters a bigger break, just in case they are casting...

but i still think there should be some kind of nicer messages when i try to sneak past guards.

Topic (read: whining) closed!
brich

those casting mobiles....

Post by brich »

The mobs that cast spells are very annoyng because they don't respect many rules. Especialy sneakers get to feel that.
Why can't mobs get the (busy) message as players when casting? It's ok when they seem to have 300 combat points assigning them to attack,casting and defence ,100 each. It's ok
when a 10k exp mob casts bolts or balls. Magic is magic :wink:
What about those monsters that study every type of magic
and shoot with fire,lightning,poison and so on without hesitation. A nice little quy I'm trying to kill is also trained in air priest spells...Could mobs be so nice and have only one mainguild as we all do?
About the sneaking...could there be a "decoy" skill/spell for nightstalkers? It could be like throwing a rock or something in the room in which one tries to sneak, increasing the success chances...
Last edited by brich on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
brich

I forgot the bugs :P

Post by brich »

Don't know if these are bugs or features but: why when I shoot in outworld then flee and return stealthaly I find myself in a battle although the mob didn't notice me. It seems theyr advance is magicly guided too :evil:
Another thingie is when they start advancing and then they move in another room before the battle begins...
Hmm, mobs seem quite aware when I try to sneak and they'r
unconscious...They have no problem noticing me :?:
The weirdest thing for me is that ALWAYS when I move from a room ,where I was/tried to be hidden in shadows, to the room of aggro mobs they notice me and I get the leave shadows message...
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

brich wrote:Why can't mobs get the (busy) message as players when casting?
that is only for skills :( players don't get (busy) while casting
Beyond good..
ghir
Supporting Member 2011

Re: those casting mobiles....

Post by ghir »

brich wrote:The mobs that cast spells are very annoyng because they don't respect many rules. Especialy sneakers get to feel that.
Why can't mobs get the (busy) message as players when casting? It's ok when they seem to have 300 combat points assigning them to attack,casting and defence ,100 each. It's ok
when a 10k exp mob casts bolts or balls. Magic is magic :wink:
What about those monsters that study every type of magic
and shoot with fire,lightning,poison and so on without hesitation. A nice little quy I'm trying to kill is also trained in air priest spells...Could mobs be so nice and have only one mainguild as we all do?
About the sneaking...could there be a "decoy" skill/spell for nightstalkers? It could be like throwing a rock or something in the room in which one tries to sneak, increasing the success chances...
The multiple damagetypes is the result of the current system: Most of the monsters in the game spawn with random abilities that differ everytime they reset; today monster x might have dart and acid spells, tomorrow it might have headbutt in addition to dart and for example lightning. At least that's (pretty much) how they explained it to us when they introduced those random abilities.
cromin
Supporting Member 2008

Post by cromin »

There is also one other helpful bug in sneaking when fighting multiple monsters in the same room that help each other.
At first when I attack all the monsters attack me too but when i come back to the room the monsters that don't notice me let me fight their friends.
And if none of the monsters notice me, I can attack and kill them one by one.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

cromin wrote:There is also one other helpful bug in sneaking when fighting multiple monsters in the same room that help each other.
Its not a bug! Nooooo! Grr! Sneaking is bad without you stripping it from all the simple pleasures, ok! So here only whine about the things that _need_ fixing, :)
And if its not broke, don't fix it! :wink:
brich

mounts as shields

Post by brich »

Could an archer use his mount as tank? Or could there be a skill/ability towards that? I sure need it because I'm so lonely :cry:
Edit (no point posting again after all this time): ok, magic is magic but we are revealed even if the mobs fail their spells. That sounds very unmagic