Backgrounds

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

draug

Backgrounds

Post by draug »

I think the 'Darklandish' background system were introduced to bring some variety to the usual character generation and even some roleplaying elements to the game... which however don't work as planned.

Why?

Most picks such as scout, roadbuilder, messenger etc are the only option when making a melee type character, because of course they give the best stats for that. But logically thinking playing a militia the most obvious 1st pick would be soldier and then picking corporal and so on, but that gives you crappy stats, 1k money and 'former corporal' title isn't really much to cheer for. And of course everybody takes the maximum background picks because more age doesn't matter.

Imho most backgrounds should be removed and/or tweaked because they are utterly worthless and add nothing more to the game... well maybe they look fancy and more character generation options looks complex to a newbie. Ok, you can take the diplomat background and start roleplaying as a diplomat at Ereldon and see how it works...

Feel free to discuss.

++draug, the former forester
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

dont think that is absolutly true.
well after playing some time (and after quite some reincs) you will be able to tell the best background(s) for every guild.
but until then there can be quite some funny experimenting
and ...
...with every guild having its perfect background and the amount of guilds the big number of listed background is justified. well at least i think so.

my opinion: i like it
jarrun

Post by jarrun »

in me honest opinion me thinks these backgrounds be fine, ye land lubbers

jarrun, former captain
draug

Post by draug »

Well... everyone that has some mudding experience can notice that most backgrounds are completely useless bonus wise. Ex. Taking soldier career is totally crap.

The background system is good but it is need some serious tweaking because as it is it has so many errors. The system looks good but it doesn't work. And you can see every background bonus so there isn't much to experiment imho.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

There is a lot more variation in backgrounds than many people would suspect.

Looking at the army people over level 50...
(the backgrounds are obscured to prevent info leakage)

Code: Select all

5xAAA
AAA, BBB, 3xCCC
3xAAA, 2xDDD
4xAAA, DDD
BBB, CCC, EEE, FFF, GGG
2xFFF, 3 HHH
5xIII
2xIII, JJJ, KKK, AAA
None of them have the same backgrounds, AAA is popular, but certainly not required.