Artisan tweaks

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

hyppi

Artisan tweaks

Post by hyppi »

I think it would be cool to be able to see a materials needed list when looking at a design. Never know till I put it together. Also, seeing who began construction on a partially built item in the shop. That's my two cents.

-powan
Carpenter In Deep Training
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

Well, Misrobo is working on that.

But on another topic, you really should have one of the wizzes zap one of your accounts. Having 2 accounts is bad.
hyppi

Post by hyppi »

no other account, sometimes you will go into the shop and there will be a partially completed item on the ground thats been sittin all day. just might be informative to be able to see who left it there.
-powan
brich

Post by brich »

Skin Storage Container

This container would be very useful now that there are quite some valuable skins which, for various reasons like: "There is no leathercrafter/dragonscalecrafter undile", cannot be immediatly worked and do do not keep over boot.
The immediate problem, I can think of, is the code, which I cannot think of. As far as the "abusability" of such an item goes I've planed it like this:
1. there is a carpenter-design for the container.
2. the quality of the container determines the number of storable skins.
3. before the container could be used it would require that a skilled and well-equiped alchemist does a "prepare container" thingie.
4.the container must be prepared each time a skin is taken out of it, if one desires to put another skin inside.
The word "container" could be replaced with "trunk" or "coffer", coffer would be more like it.
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

High level alchemists have a 'preserve skin' skill that can be used to preserve skins so that they can be saved over boot.
brich

Post by brich »

i. I did not desire to "share information" and thus I just mentioned "skilled alchemists" refering to that skill.
ii. Not every player is alchemist and/or leathercrafter.
iii. Only Artisans can maximize, i.e. be resonably good at, leatherworking (might be draconscaleworking too).
iv. Untill a little while ago everybody couldve trained skinning/leatherworking as them were "talents".
v. Highly valuable and rare skins can be obtained by large parties which usually don't consist of Artisans...

These are just a few facts. Please think them through.
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

I'm not sure this falls under sharing information any more than saying that smiths can resize armours. It's a skill they have, not a quest or secret.

Not everyone is an alchemist, so have an alchemist do it. I've done several skins from several players, including some green dragon skins. The cap on non-artisan levels is there so there might be some economy in valuable skills like this.

I am not saying that your idea is invalid. I am saying that there is already a skill in game that can be used to preserve skins.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

apog wrote:High level alchemists have a 'preserve skin' skill that can be used to preserve skins so that they can be saved over boot.
I agree with Apog. its hard enough to make money as an alchemist. Currently the only thing they do is make incenses. Preserving skins was useless until the artisans opened. Now a new market could develop for the alchemists. If u give an alternative skin-preserving to some other guild it will null the chance for alchemists.

Similar to how a certain NPC gives potions: people just camp the NPC and wont buy potions from alchemists.

Just wait a while until people realise that alchemists now have another pass-time than collecting incense materials, and than there will be enough alchemists online to prepare your skinns for boot.
brich

Post by brich »

I've read alot in my life but today I realised that what I have taken for granted was actually a gift. Now I realise how hard is for some to actually read.
I won't quote myself (the initial post is right above) but I would dearly desire to emphasize the fact that I didnt not suggest a way to avoid alchemists in pursuing whatever purpose. If someone read a tad better,he/she might notice that the skin container would (in my mind) require alchemists to prepare it for each stored skin BUT: one could PAY (or otherwise compensate an alchemist) to be able to store skins at a later moment.

Dixit!
apog
Supporting Member 2009

Post by apog »

I don't think anyone failed to read. The readers' failure was not in reading, but in understanding the basic logic of your argument. This failure does not leave the onus on the reader, but instead on the writer. What exactly is the difference here between having an alchemist preserve the skin and stuffing it in a sack/chest/locker/house? Currently a preserved skin can be put anywhere. Your container would limit the skin to that container only. This appears to be a disadvantage not present in the currently implemented system. So instead of insulting your readers for your failure to communicate, why not instead explain exactly how this would be logically, not semantically, different from currently available actions. What benefits would it provide to players that the current system does not? What problem would it solve, that isn't already solved, so that a wiz might be inclined to code it? Remember that some wiz has to code this, and in general (though not always), if there is a logically similiar course of action already available to players, then there is generally little chance that a wiz will do it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

brich wrote:If someone read a tad better,he/she might notice that the skin container would (in my mind) require alchemists to prepare it for each stored skin BUT: one could PAY (or otherwise compensate an alchemist) to be able to store skins at a later moment.

Dixit!
I dont understand a word your writing?!!

You want the alchemists to prepare the skins for boot, than your want to pay a carpenter to put the skins in a box that also saves them from boot? Confused.
Anyway. If u give some alternative way of preserving skins over boot that the alchemists currently have it will have an impact on the alchemists market. And i personally feel the alchemists are already in a very bad situation. Lets just leave the skin preserving to be the makerket for the alchemists and the healing to be the trade of air priests.
You just need to wait until people realise that alchemists are actually useful now.
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

I took the suggestion to mean that a container, having been built by a carpenter or a leatherworker (that is - a container of any type), could be prepared by an Alchemist, for a cost, and could then have x number of skins (20 for example) stored in it in the same fashion as a vial container - as opposed to having to get each and every skin prepared for keeping in any container.

If thats not what you meant - then maybe it's a better solution.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

So you want an alchemist to prepare a container for skin preserving. As a alchemist i would not consider this a good financial option - instead of continuous endless money to choose a single great investment. If i have to prepare every skin for each boot it promises me a lot more profit that preparing one container and loosing that client forever. But if this container preparing would be suffieciently profitable and/or if the container would loose its over-boot abilities in time, than this could actually be thinkable.
iluth

Post by iluth »

apog wrote: I am not saying that your idea is invalid. I am saying that there is already a skill in game that can be used to preserve skins.
I've wondered for a long time why a skill was needed to preserved skins, it's honestly not worth my time to hunt down an alchemist to save the few crappy skins i've managed to collect during my time idling/hunting. So they just go pop at reboot, if i could drop them in a container in my hut that would be nice.

As far as the real world goes, skins are preserved to make it in a state which is useable for leatherworking or whatever. Afaik it doesnt involve any knowledge of alchemy skills to do it either. Just a drying hoop, a scraper and a warm spot in the sun.