preaching

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

lipides
Supporting Member 2011

preaching

Post by lipides »

Was thinking something like this: for now we got earth priests and air priests only which both should have their own preaching skill/books. Effects would like counter eachother when used, for example earth priest converts you to earth causing your air faith to drop and spells used by airpriest are not so effective on you BUT earth preach would enchant EP spells making them last longer on you and work more effienct. and same vice versa. :?:
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Yes. Some new preaching books and prayers are really needed. I mean how long will the pray skill suggest to me to look at a list of prayers that is empty?
And preacing for e-priests might be something like Minion-regen, damage-living, weaken-living, regenerate EP, etc. Similar to what air-priest do, but still different.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Kana sanoo kotkotkot, kotkotkot

Post by solar »

In the good old days, preaching was really great! I could make ~200 exp with one succesful sermon and like 100 df too!

Also I found that when preaching at Ere, some more experienced players would be totally blown away by it and show me their eqs. Like a mithril zweikku.

As for prayers... some sort of 'guardian angel' like prayer: You start praying for someone and there is a very very very very slight chance that something very bad (like a crit), would not actually have the full effect it should. Something for camp healers to do.

These new prayer books that actually have some effects (undead turning, wound mending etc) should not be too good, earth_priests could perhaps use some sort of burial sermon (ashes to ashes, dust to dust yadda yadda) that would work like 'dig grave', but give them something nice, like a tiny amount of divine favours, lower minion upkeep for a few ticks etc.

I would like to see 'creative' ideas for preaching effects, not some typical 'Listen to me mates, I will make your muscles BULGE!' sort of straightforward boosting.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
odovacar
Supporting Member 2013

Post by odovacar »

Perhaps preaching can give temporary skill/stat boosts like mental confidence or those coven sleep spells, since in a way it's the same morale boost. The effect could be smaller and/or shorter.

Another idea: perhaps preaching can also be used on NPCs to improve their disposition towards the preacher in some way (I still haven't figured out how), but (and this is the interesting part) preaching can also cause a hostile reaction. This opens a whole new issue of preaching fumbles, which can be fun and funny. (You preach 'Behold the power of Pthuule!'. Something is wrong. You're not sure about the power of Pthuule... You start sobbing like a little girl. This REALLY hurts! You have DIED. - ok the last bit is a bit over the top, but you can get temporary lowered spell % or the nethers or something).

But if preaching is to give meaningful boosts, it should also be noted that it affects one's connection with their worshipped element. Meaning: suppose I'm an airpriest and I preach to and convince some of my pyromaniac fire loving friends in the uberpower of air and they get some kick out of it. The elemntal god of fire should be kinda pissed about it, so they might lose some df (a little df, like prayer or rite of success, or less). I might also get a little df and/or exp for being a true and diligent disciple of air.
But, this shouldn't be abused and balanced perhaps by introducing a way of turning down preaches or some other logical control mechanism, so we dont get priest df leeches running around. And you won't be able to preach to someone more than once a day or some time-limit of a kind.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
gnoza

Post by gnoza »

yeah it wouldn't be cool if you would die if your preach fumbles :(
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

how about for a really bad fumble 'the heavens open and a Bolt of lightning strikes you and those around you' :twisted:
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

...and you loose half of your exp and all your eq melts down to unusable crap'
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

I dont like the idea of a grand fumble. The prayers and preaching could be made to similar to rangers wild berries: if u use them too much you will get a bad result.

Example:
You have to use a prayer on people that glorifies your religion. Something that lures more people to your faith and thus makes your god happy.
If your god is pleased with you you can use prayers and preaches that demand help from your god. Pray for some partymember to regenrate fast or some other person to drop dead, anything like that.
If u spend up all the good will your god might have had towards you your god might get annoyed with your contant whining for assistance and might give your a fumle-like effect. After that you would again have to preach about the glory of your god to other people to get into good favor with your god.

A system like that would not increase ones exp-rate cause to gain good effects from preaching/prayers you need to spend time preaching a seemingly useless sermon at people. With low skills you migth need to preach for several hours to get enough good will from your god for one or two prayers. With higher skills less time would be needed.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

Just remove preaching, its damn annoying!
:evil: :twisted:
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

I WAS kidding about the really bad fumble.... :P

a grand fumble would be stupid - as bad a GM that I RPG'd with who had someone die from a random encounter fumble - like tripping over a rock while walking along and dieing...
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin