pilgrimages

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

hamelthor
Supporting Member 2006

pilgrimages

Post by hamelthor »

not sure exactly why this would need to be done, but maybe someone more imaginative can add to it.

centuries ago, many people would go on pilgrimages to churches all throughout europe, and would pray to the various saints. these saints were said to heal those who prayed to them, and in return they would be 'healed,' as the 'official' records say.
sometimes it was out of feelings of guilt, sometimes as the last resort before executions (usually due to a crime/hereticism/"sin")- regardless, these people would have to go on marches to their shrine of choice (there were many, many of these)
they travelled light, usually giving the money they had away. they usually carried no/light weapons, and often shoeless

now- my crazy idea
have the elements on occasion send people out into the wilderness to some shrine or other for the particular pilgrimage. could deactivate the coach for people on the pilgrimage until they reach the shrine. they would then have to sac some sort of item or whatever, and in return they'd get extra df or whatever, or some other sort of reward. if they don't complete it, they get penalized in some way

essentially, like a curse, but you don't need a coven to save you

well thats my idea, feel free to rip me a new one
ity

Post by ity »

or, you go to a normal temple of your element, 'take pilgramage', and you get a map to a spot, and a rl timer of 24-120 hours, and all the stuff you have when you 'take pilgramage' but your armour/weapons(eq) is sacrificed, and then you go to the spot on the map and drop something specified when you 'take pilgramage' theb pray for <blessing> and get the blessing for days equal to 2x the df of what was sacrificed, after that, a reduced upkeep on the blessing for the rest of its duration(ie you reinc, relinquish, cant pay for it its upkeep anymore) :D (with this, same rules apply as for blessings, gotta have minor to get normal to get major)

and if you dont do it, you get struck by your element, your eq is destroyed/sacrificed, you lose all df and you cant sacrifice at an altar for the number of hours your pilgramage lasted.

my two coppers!
moraq

Post by moraq »

ity wrote:..., your eq is destroyed/sacrificed,...
Whatever the case is, one may have spent hundreds of hours doing that eq. No code should have a feature that destroys/sacrifices everything that the player wears :P
ity

Post by ity »

so dont wear your best on the pilgramage :D your supposed to go in rags and with little on you afterall :D
solar
Supporting Member 2020

Post by solar »

ity wrote:so dont wear your best on the pilgramage :D your supposed to go in rags and with little on you afterall :D
Why go at all? Just give some $$$ to the church and your soul is then saved!
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
hamelthor
Supporting Member 2006

Post by hamelthor »

not saying they would have to sac their best weapon/eq set, but as with coven curses, just a worthy item (which for some of you wouldnt be that hard) to be sacced.
and if they don't visit the shrine, then maybe they die. once. 'divine justice,' we could call it. or they could actually *be* cursed, like some who didn't exactly fulfill everything the Saint wanted them to do spoke about.

i'm not just spouting off- i'm on curse number three myself. luckily its not a pygmy roc flying out of the sky and plucking my eyeballs out (idle curse) or me getting critted a whole lot (crit magnet curse). this one is just a tail, and it doesn't appear to do anything but attract the ladies.

I believe Artic had a post about how much he hates curses, and how it's hard to get rid of them because Coven's never want to, because they give up hatred. Well, how about the pilgrimage is a way to circumvent the curse- if you do it, you get out of it, if you dont do it, tough luck, hope you got a worthy item.