Tornado slash

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Tornado slash

Post by osma »

This idea is mainly geared to whirling blade users, but might be useful implemented as it's own skill. nevertheless, i will explane it in ranger terms.

Tornado slash is an offensive manuever that specilizes in dealing damage to more then one enemy. It consists of a spin attack where the player whirling would spin in a top move, hitting all enemies in battle (enemies not in melee battle would have sense enough to stay out of the way, so would not get hit and would not ENTER battle.)

The slash would be VERY difficult to perform, take a bit of time to exicute, and be quite prone to fails ( IC of about 40 just to keep from failing 3 out of 4 times). However, it hits all enemies for equal damage of a double cross (or normal cross if too powerfull), when most (if not all) other melee skills confine damge to one enemy at a time. Furthermore, mastery of Tornado Slash would allow 1-4 additional hits (one or two extra plus possible left hand weapon hits).
midrien

Post by midrien »

If it was so difficult to perform, and you were letting loose that many hits...It is inevitable that you would hit something you werent currently engaged with.

That would be a risk in using this maneuver.
osma

Post by osma »

Midrien made a valid point. Also, although it would take 30-40 ic to start failing 1/2 or so, by 50-60 ic it would succeed 3/4 or better.
minny

Post by minny »

No. This tornado slash business sounds too tedious to perform...

Rangers already have whirling blade bonuses...perhaps it can be coded into some uber-rare bonus that occurs if your singing blades masteries are super high...(70%?) The normal sonic damage bonus can be extended to multi-mob damage instead of a single mob.

If it is to be implemented as a skill, I think it should have a high risk of injuring yourself, agro mobs that are in same room, and perhaps even harm others in party at low % of course.
seryn
Supporting Member 2009

Post by seryn »

I think that the main concerns to think about are:

1. Does ranger guild really need an area attack like this?

2. Once the wizzies have taken sledgehammers to this to put it in balance with the current position of the ranger guild, would anyone be crazy enough to use it?

I don't see much of any way that ranger, with their current advantages, could get away with having such an area attack, especially with those extra hits and with not aggroing monsies in the room. Even if you subtract those two advantages, it would be too powerful at a damage similar to double cross or even to cross, since if you can hit one thingy for that damage, why not hit everything instead. If the damage were suitable for ranger (the guild that will more likely than others run into the large wolf and orc packs in outworld) then it would be only useful for killing things that would already be dead from ranger's nifty meleeing by the time it went off.

The one proposed balancing factor, needing 40 or 60 percent of IC to prevent fails, wouldn't be of much use in balancing since IC goes up so quickly and even low level players can have it at high %.

Besides all that, rangers don't really need an area attack, since in their element they are a quite nice melee guild, and there are already three other guilds covering the 'miscellaneous off-tank with area attack' niche to an extent.
iluth

Post by iluth »

I just skimmed this topic so i dunno if i'm repeating stuff others have said, but i think this sounds a nice idea for the Wilders rather than Rangers. At least in my experience of playing barbs in other games they have an attack all type attack, which is reasonable since they're usually carrying massive axes/swords.
midrien

Post by midrien »

Would be cool to go along with their Devestating headbutts and kicks I suppose.

Though I enjoy the fact that there is a guild out there who actually uses these maneuvers.