Alert channel

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want to change alert channel?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 19, 2006 18:09 pm

Leave alone
79%
Make it area specific
12%
Be able to set it to either
9%

Total votes: 33

osma

Alert channel

Post by osma »

Would you like to have alert channel to be specific to only areas nearby, to be left alone, or to be able to set it.

Argument one: set nearby means that only get alerts on spells cast in same zone or within 20 or so rooms.
Con: if entering new zone, may get hit in first room.

Argument two: left alone means always prepared.
Con: spammy

Argument three: Being able to set it means that you get best of both world.
Con: annoying to reset all the time, and may forget, read con 1.
quintosh
Supporting Member 2014

Post by quintosh »

The existing system is already a _huge_ improvement what it used to be, doesnt alert every singe one spell with the color you've chosen.. And now it's easy to choose of where to go exp, deciding from alerts, if you see that area spells are beeing cast on certain area, you have a good reason not to go exping in there then, if you follow me..
<memories>
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

osma wrote: Would you like to have alert channel to be specific to only areas nearby, to be left alone, or to be able to set it.
I love it out you offer these choices as if its a work in the park to do and you have the power to do them :wink:
I'm glad the majority vote to leave it alone, suits me a lot.
osma

Post by osma »

If i had to code, i would prob go on murderous rampage. I have seen the evil that code deals to my friends, and i do not invoke it against anyone.

That being said, my job is not to code, it is to come up with ideas. If you dont want to code those ideas, or if it is insanly difficult... then don't :P
creln

Post by creln »

echcua wrote:I love it out you offer these choices as if its a work in the park to do and you have the power to do them :wink:
I'm glad the majority vote to leave it alone, suits me a lot.
To help poor osma out here I was the one who sort of got the idea started. And this is not something which would be too hard to code. Check into movement code when you are changing from area to world map and leave that areas channel. Some work in channel code to actually have alert channel for each area but map the alert channel to channel specific to that area.

But, yes, it's no walk in the park and that's why I suggested poll. That code couldn't be used for anything else except maybe make statistics how much time players spend in each area(could be interesting).

That being said, seems like the players have spoken and it was bad idea to begin with.
echcua
Wizard

Post by echcua »

First point is channel code. Until the bug is found in the driver where what is known as a 'channel wipe' is sorted out we cannot really touch it. As to movement code whilst this isn't as difficult to do as the other would require quite a bit of testing to make sure that it doesn't lag etc.