Chitine Silkweavers Guild

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Chitine Silkweavers Guild

Post by osma »

I know it has been joked about before (nod to Rixa), but i would like to put up the idea of a VERY select free guild, The Chitine Silkweavers Guild.

This could be either a free guild, or an artisan guild, that is dedicated to making, reparing, resizing and (dare i say it) improving chitinium silk equipment. The catch to the idea however is that it is available ONLY to chitines. (this is not an unprecedented idea, as any shapechanger can tell you). It would make perfect sence to apply the guild this way, since it says in chitinium silk description that only chitines make it.

Furthermore, the guild would have very high restrictions, such as 75-80 craftsmanship or a level restriction, so as to show that it is "old" chitines.

Feel free to toss the idea around and post responces.
minny

Post by minny »

Be a chitine for a certain number of days?
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

*head explodes*

i dislike this idea of silkpooping chitines who cover your eq with their excrement.

You should code your own mud with your happy tiger tsunami mudding tornado slash silkpoop spiders.

No offence.
(or is it?)
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Well, chitinium silk is alredy made by chitines (so says the help about materials) and is cut and sown into nice armours by seamstresses. So me think you need to kill chitines to get the raw chitinium silk and than be a silkweaver (of any race) to be ablw to weave it into chitinium silk that is ready to be made into some armours.
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

So me think you need to kill chitines to get the raw chitinium silk
Yeah, just like you kill cows to get milk.

I supposed I could code silk generation, but I can't think of a more boring mud experience than sitting around excreting goo. Well, loggers is close.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Well a cow will give you the milk rather willingly. According to 'help materials' (ithink) elder chitines guard the secret of chitinium silk rather fiercly.

And besides, making high valued chitinium silk just by being semi-idle is just a little out of tune.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

what if we had to drug a chitine to keep them still long enough to get any silk from them, or stun them?

I personally think that as long as people can get their hands on the silk, it doesn't matter where it comes from, and if it is fairly rare, maybe needing you to gain the trust of the chitines, then it is that much more valuable.
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

i would rather see some kind of a quest involving a chitine and a nice chit silk glow item as a reward
solar
Supporting Member 2020

duh

Post by solar »

hors wrote:i would rather see some kind of a quest involving a chitine and a nice chit silk glow item as a reward
There is one.

And chitisilk stuff is still obtainable from NPC smiths! I think Echcua had an oversight when he hammered artisan tunes into being with his Doomhammer(tm). However, that cloud does not have a silver lining, more like fool's gold: That chitisilk stuff might be 2,5x the price it used to be in the good old days.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
iluth

Re: duh

Post by iluth »

solar wrote:
hors wrote:i would rather see some kind of a quest involving a chitine and a nice chit silk glow item as a reward
There is one.

And chitisilk stuff is still obtainable from NPC smiths! I think Echcua had an oversight when he hammered artisan tunes into being with his Doomhammer(tm). However, that cloud does not have a silver lining, more like fool's gold: That chitisilk stuff might be 2,5x the price it used to be in the good old days.
At the risk of speaking too loudly and giving echcua further ideas to make our lives difficult with, chitinium silk is still the same priced as ever.
osma

Post by osma »

Not to belabor the point (well, maybe just a little bit) this is EXACTLY what i was talking about (see ideas: party tune). Thanks for all the great ideas posted.

Using previous ideas posted, perhaps you would need to solve a quest in order to join the silkweavers (khade's idea of gaining their trust). this could either apply to everyone (even chitines need to prove themselves to the elders) or maybe chitines could avoid the quest requirement and get the material from the "clan" (other silkweavers would have to buy it/kill monsters to feed the elders)
thalandor

Post by thalandor »

Guess I'll bring my bit to the major thread...

As the desc says, the elder chitines make that stuff, so could that be tied to the age of the char as in how long one has kept this reinc?

And as to the availability issue... Some event or such for chitines, maybe along the hive sub, or a skill? So that only limited number could make a bit of stuff, at first at sucky quality, and with time getting near or above smithy ordered? So that you'd get lump (or rolls, or what ever) of the stuff, need certain amount of it for certain items, and the overall quality is decided byt the average of the different lumps used?

Back on the limitation issue... I see a few possible solutions:

a) Need the age, need the int and wis(to control your own body and glands in such way), int and wis being the deciding factors on quality?

b) After the part a, only caster classes, (seeing they have free time from hackn&slashn the mobs)

c) Somesort mutation or such, that with high enough skills and time in reinc allow making the stuff?

d) Some sort of combination or something else I fail to see atm?