innate weapon skill

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

innate weapon skill

Post by khade »

Not to take anything away from the militia, but I think that we should have lesser masteries, similar to hunting, for weapon skills. It would seem to me that something you used in an earlier life might feel more natural in your hands then something you have never touched in any of your earlier lives. You would probably not know why it feels natural to you, just that it is. I think there would be maybe natural weapons, edged weapons, blunt weapons, pointy weapons, bows, maybe unique weapons (EI flails, chakra, calthrops, just things that don't really fit the other catagories.)

As I said before, I think that a grandmaster in a fighting style would easilly trump someone relying on innate ability and a past live's usage of a weapon.

As I see it, this would probably increase the power of fighting guilds, and could possibly increase the capacity of the magic users, depending on how they decide to use it.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

and what would these masteries do?, just exist?

if they increase any damage/speed/hit, melee users who already have high end weapons in their chests will just become more powerful than ever.

If lower masteries makes you suck, we would have invasion on caster guilds, and only few would be interested in playing offguilds.

Its fine that militia are the only real weapon masters.

ps. few beers might affect my grammar just a bit.
osma

Post by osma »

On one hand i think this would be great, but i probably have bias since i have used nothing but swords for the last 3 years. On the other hand, i can see yoz's point, in that it would play merry hell with balance.

How about this for a compromise? Make certin masteries VERY limitedly transfer into other guilds. Some examples would be that a templar who can get free attacks versus animals due to previous time in rangers animal lore mastery, a ranger who can cast spells slightly easier due to previously being a mage, or an air priest who can hit hard with blunt weapons because of hammer masteries from army. These masteries could transfer over at a 10 to 1 rate (you have 34 mastery from army, you have 3 mastery in next class and it does not increase outside of army).

First off, it is not difficult to imagine, since you already keep the masteries, and can use them again when you reinc back to that guild. Second, there is the fact that this would cause people to consider their reinc's, and make them more willing to try out other guilds. After all, if a shadowdancer is worried about the fact that he deals little damage with a dagger, simpy transfer to army, get some piercing mastery or whatever, and go back to shadowdancer with more hit/speed/damage. Equaly, rangers are one of the few classes that have spells, but those spells fail constantly. If you have some mage masteries, perhaps those would make your spells hit more effectivly/more often.
People who reinc often already would win because they get something out of all those other classes, those who dont reinc would win because there would be more insentive to try other guilds and become even better players, and chronomancers would basicly be getting alot more for their service since the demand for quality reinc's would be higher.

(Although i am shure i got the idea across, much of the above is incomplete or inaccurate, basicly because i cant remember what guilds have what masteries.)
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

That would be nice too. What I was thinking was that the grandmaster stuff that the militia has would overshadow the innate masteries, which would be only about 1/3 as effective. I just thought it would be nice to have as an incentive to play a lot... not that we need that, do we?
suron

Post by suron »

I don't see the problem with this...the wizards could just code this the same way they usually code things. Give flashy and misleading echoes, while the skill has no effect what so ever into the gameplay.

(probably going to get zapped by the admins for revealing this secret)
allanon

Post by allanon »

Echoes, you mean like this?

Code: Select all

*Error in skill heartbeat, auto-stopping skill
Yeah, I think that would be a win-win for everyone.

Only two things I can see bad with this idea...

a) Makes the highest highbies even stronger. (Not like that really matters though.)

b) Some classes don't seem to have a logical transfer to other classes. For example, how would an Air Priest transfer over masteries of healing or purgation (forgive my lack of knowledge) to a mage? Mages get no healing spells and can't cure diseases. Or take artisans, for example...some of their subguilds can only be joined by artisans, so any masteries gained there could not be transferred.

...Oh yeah, and like already stated, tuning could be difficult. I would suggest a variable ratio for the transfer, based on the usefulness of the mastery in question, instead of a common, standard transfer rate. Some masteries are obviously more useful than others when transferred, so it should be adjusted accordingly for each.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Imo masteries are supposed to be a little 'reward' for your time and dedication in the guild in question and should not be transferred anywhere.

Most masteries would do nothing in other guilds, since we have such unique guilds with specific skills and spells those masteries affect :>. If it was changed, which I doubt isn't the case, it'd require massive amounts of new code put into masteries so they would have any use outside the guild.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

yarly

Post by solar »

Eww, what an idea you ppl have come up with :(

Not much to add to what Moraq has said, but:

[whine]
In my personal opinion it "sucks" that militias are currently the only guild with 'grandmaster of XXX' weapontype masteries.

If your neighbour were to have a sword, and then one day you'd get one too, he wouldn't ninja-jump through the window and kill you while you're sleeping, now would he? Or is that thing copyrighted and you'd face serious fines from militia-mastery-records.org each day you'd know how to hold the sword properly? :C
[/whine]
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
hors
Supporting Member 2009

Post by hors »

imho

1. masteries should not dublicate skills, they should not be equal to skills
2. people should decide what they want - high masteries or reincarnation every week... the game allows both
3. exp is easy to get... people can just make more exp instead of thinking how to minimize reincarnation costs

p.s any kind of an addictions hurts.. reincarnations addiction not an exception

p.p.s artisans issue is more important to fix by far anyway