Scent lures

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

allanon

Scent lures

Post by allanon »

The idea is simple: to attract more prey or a certain kind of prey, a hunter would use the scent of certain animal species. This could be the scent of a prey animal, the "scent of fear" that some animals give off, the scent of a female animal that is in heat, etc. It could even just be the scent of fresh blood.

I don't know how these could be used specifically, whether they would be added to traps, or rubbed on the hunter's body, or you could make "scent trails" to direct the flow of wildlife...but it seems like a realistic innovation. I'm no expert in the history of hunting, either, so I'm not sure if such a thing is possible in Icesus's supposed time period.

But then again, with fantasy anything is possible, and perhaps this could be a new part of hunting masteries, or an addition to Master Hunters guild (would be nice). Or these could be a "magical" invention, if it came to that...

I'm thinking also that using a scent would also draw more aggressive monsters in your general direction, if they have a sense of smell...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
osma

Post by osma »

Scent would stick to hands for certin period of time, making some animals aggro.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

osma wrote:Scent would stick to hands for certin period of time, making some animals aggro.
Please. Whatever you do, dont add any 'in heat' or any other kind of hunting scent to your own person. Such use of hunting lures will result in animal attacks and hunting accidents.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

kevyt maito on hyvää

Post by solar »

Yeah, sure... if this idea is getting through then I also want a 'scent of downtune', -lag and -packetloss. They'd ensure that no one would want to come near.

And when I'm rubbing that downtune lubricant to my body, it would be transferred to other people that I touch, too.

Coding a scent system with specs for how each animal acts might just be too much work for our wizards, we do have 100+ animals out there. Why not just implement 'cover scent' and have it raise the time needed for hunted animals to spot you? Or camouflaging paints?

Of course this one doesn't increase the chance of actually finding game, but it'd be helpful to hunters nonetheless, to newbies more than to highbies.

Increased ratio of finding prey would just be more useful to highbies, since they don't have to regen between kills that much, but longer preparation time before the animal flees makes it easier to take them down, favoring newbies more.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

Btw, Does 'move silently' have any affect on hunting?