'Other Stuff"

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

khade
Supporting Member 2013

'Other Stuff"

Post by khade »

I had an idea for the Coven, which I then tried to expand into something potentially useful to all guilds.

The idea was that members of the Coven could desecrate or taint an area in the outworld, based on their masteries and skills, which would start out requiring basic upkeep to keep tainted. As the taint grows, eventually it would require no assistance to stay there, but would require it to grow, eventually becoming new land, forests would become deadwood or maybe mirkwood, plains and meadows would become blighted land, swamps would become festering hell-holes, and so on. Once a piece of land became that corrupted, the taint would very slowly start to infest other areas next to it, with the help of a witch or warlock, whole tracts of land could become useless. In any area where the taint is secure, any member of the Coven could get a big bonus to their spells, maybe even changing the desecration spells slightly in that area, so that they don't eventually run out of power, since they are now using the energy of the tainted land, so they can stay and protect the land for the Coven. Rangers would not stand idly by while the Coven destroyed their world, they would get spells and skills that would be able to lessen the taint, although if a place is utterly corrupted, it would require many rangers to cleanse properly; also the land would not just let them come and clean it, if it is utterly corrupted, then it would fight back, using whatever desecrated animals or plants that the Coven left there to defend it. Rangers would get a good bit of exp and maybe masteries for cleansing the land, Coven would get better masteries for corruption, and a bit of exp for every kill land corrupted by them gained, as well as a very good place to fight at.

Templar already have something, but we could maybe expand that into periodic excursions into the sewers or quests of that sort, letting them into areas that are generally off limits or that require much more effort then usual to get into.

Mages could align the magic of the world into what they prefer to use, which could start some fun infighting as fire mages, acid mages, lightning mages, and ice mages try to each make it easier for themselves to cast their spells.

I am not sure what priests should have, just that each religion should be against the others.

Shadowdancers already have, or had a nice system set up for guild events, maybe it could be expanded.

Shapeshifters should be able to observe their current species in it's natural invironment and gain mastery over that form over time, up to a fairly low number, depending on how powerful the animals are.

Not sure on the Psionicists, maybe they could sometimes have their inner fears actually manefest in reality, and they have to force them back, sort of like an infestation of undead.

Artisans actually seem to have something already, at least the smiths do.

I don't have the foggiest idea what Sorcerers or Monks could do, I know that monks have the crushing contest, but that doesn't seem sufficient.

The Wilders already have their shrines and what they can do to people who break them.

I think it goes without needing to be said, but I will say it anyway, that any event that has 2 or more guilds arguing over something, can have PK results.
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

Yay for PK events!

*cough*Druidsneedtobeheretofightthecoven*cough*
artic
Supporting Member 2005

Post by artic »

PK events have been discussed here before and theres some rules that a pvp event should obide by.
First it should not be too rewarding. No pvp event shuold give bigger rewards than same amount of time spent playing regularly. You shouldnt punish the people who dont pvp and you shouldnt reward the people that do pvp, for pvp should be valuntary.
It should be fun for both sides. Both sides must have a equal chance at winning and neither side should feel as if they have to participate.
The event should handle all the extra cases. like what happens if theres no players from the opposing force etc.
dunn

Post by dunn »

I like only half of the idea, because of the added player interaction. I don't think people should be forced out of their way to kill each other to maintain their status. But yes, druids would probably be more in competition with coven than rangers.

I like the taint idea.. But new creatures would probably have to be coded too. Since no animals could survive in blighted land for long.
suron

Post by suron »

dunn wrote: ...I like the taint idea.. But new creatures would probably have to be coded too. Since no animals could survive in blighted land for long.
I'm pretty confident that halflings can survive in blighted lands. They seem to have mastered the durability of cockroaches.
And how could one explain rationally how such a miniscule, weak and dumb race have prevailed through history and evolution? In real world halflings would probably been eaten into extinction before men even considered killing buffalos :)
(and don't give that icesusisblahblah quote. Even in fantasy, some realistic grip is needed)

Weed out the halflings, death to halflings.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

DETH TU AAL HALFPENISES

Post by solar »

suron wrote:
dunn wrote: ...I like the taint idea.. But new creatures would probably have to be coded too. Since no animals could survive in blighted land for long.
I'm pretty confident that halflings can survive in blighted lands. They seem to have mastered the durability of cockroaches.
And how could one explain rationally how such a miniscule, weak and dumb race have prevailed through history and evolution? In real world halflings would probably been eaten into extinction before men even considered killing buffalos :)
(and don't give that icesusisblahblah quote. Even in fantasy, some realistic grip is needed)

Weed out the halflings, death to halflings.
Hear hear, the voice of Reason has spoken.

Undisputed wisdom.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

I had several new ideas.

First, chimera form for shifters. A chimera is a species that is combined from multiple different forms, a liger(lion/tiger crossbreed) is a chimera by this definition. Forms I can think of are a dragon which would be a bear snake crossbreed, and a lesser chimera, which would have snake and wolf. I am sure people could help me come up with others. Of course, these would need pretty high masteries and skills to get. Note: I am using the definition of a chimera virus.

The wilders guild indicates that there are encampments of wilders wandering around, packing up when people notice them and being several miles away in about the time it takes to get someone to get rid of them, but I have yet to even hear about them or see them in my wanderings. I suggest that the wilders get either small villages of wilders that are occasionally moving or a command to build an encampment which as long as it is maintained, will stay for several boots and be a safe place to leave and possibly to leave horses and carts.
The villages idea would probably have small services like resizing and buying weapons and armour, it would also have a shrine that should be fairly balanced, probably not big though. Only wilders should be able to find the village with any consistency. For the encampment idea, having skills in carpentry would be a plus and probably make things easier and faster, but they should be able to make a safe place to stay regardless of skills.

Who ever heard of a coven not using big pots to create monstrous liquids? I propose that the coven be given a brew command that lets them experiment with new venoms, new ways to corrupt the world, and new ways to change how people think and react to things. I have heard that the coven masteries are insanely slow to master, so perhaps this would be an interesting thing to add. Incidentally, this is based on the older version of the coven, and I know they are currently inactive for a bit of recoding, so it might not fit.

thanks all for reading :)
klarh
Supporting Member 2008

Post by klarh »

I guess wandering wilder villages could be added, the code is there already as far as I know...

P.S. the covens-in-outworld bit is already in my Top Secret(TM) plans for druids!