New coin

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

dyaros

New coin

Post by dyaros »

Just as an idea, it would be wonderful if there would be a new coin introduced to the game, iceron. Not only would it be something "icesushish" #-o, but would give a new aspect to store money outside bank accounts - you couldn't withdraw them from bank and their creation to mob corpses would be very rare. I was thinking of something like 10k worth for each iceron (10 mithril for those of you who dont get it :D).

As a game wise, it wouldn't have any real effect to the game play (if some money trading wouldn't be counted), but would give some nice fluff for the game.
I'm an Africa nut, not an Ostfront freak
allanon

Post by allanon »

...If you couldn't withdraw or deposit them to bank, that means you wouldn't want to spend them, either. So there don't seem to be too many uses for them, other than bragging rights ("I have 1000 Iceron coins").

Currently mithril are popular because you can carry much less of them and still have a lot of cash - the reason why many people hold their mithril and deposit silver gold etc. But if Iceron coins were very rare, unlike mithril, the chance of actually getting your hands on one would be small...and even if you did there would be no point to carrying it around, seeing as you wouldn't want to spend it accidentally and get rid of it. I'm assuming the only way to get these coins would be from monster drops - you couldn't get them from the bank, from selling to shops, or from quest rewards. That further limits their usefulness. (since mass mob killing is not usually the source of profit - it's the killing of a few high value mobs.)

It would be interesting, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble of coding. Perhaps if these coins had a special usage - for example a shop that only accepts Iceron coins for payment, or a special service that can only be paid for in Iceron coins - then it would be a better addition. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but...making a new type of coin that you shouldn't spend seems rather backwards.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

Well, if I was thinking the idea as negatively as you are, then I wouldn't have posted it. Anyways, one very good usage could be buying from booths - you don't have to carry tons of platinum (etc) or pay enormous withdrawal costs (shrugs) from bank when taking mithril... Killing bigger mobs ofcourse increases the possibility of finding these coins, so that's not really a issue. Getting them as a quest reward is also a option which can be discussed. Only limits I would bring is that they can't be withdrawed from bank (though can be deposited). Besides, Allanon - it's a nice fluff for the game atleast, as I said. :wink:

Oh, and coding this marvelous and ancient piece of coin from the glorious times wouldn't be a problem or even time consuming for experienced developer/wizard who really knows what he is doing :wink:
dunn

Post by dunn »

Uh, mobs drop mithril coins rarely enough.. What makes you think they would drop 10k ones?
moraq

Post by moraq »

Mithril > Iceron

I wouldn't mind having 10k-value-coins, that way I could carry even more of them! But if you can't withdraw them it, to me, looks pretty useless.

No use creating a new coin which sole purpose is to let people buy from a booth, as mithril works just as fine.

Our money system works perfectly at its current state, don't you think?
misrobo
Wizard

Post by misrobo »

I rather like the idea. I remember passing through newbiehood... getting that first platinum coin! Man, I was rich! Then I got a coin that I couldn't even guess at the value... mirthril, 1000 silver... I kept it in a special spot so I wouldn't lose it. A 10k coin would give one more of those nifty moments.

But I also wouldn't want to ruin the moment that comes later when your containers aren't big enough to hold all your mithril. "Aw crap, where am I going to put all these coins?"

I think not allowing you to withdraw them from the bank would preserve that. The only way they would come into existence is mob drops, players could just deposit them or could keep them. I know I'd keep them in a cloth bag in my locker except when I took them out to roll around in them. Then when that CD breastplate popped up on [sales] and I couldn't resist I'd pay with them.
khade
Supporting Member 2013

Post by khade »

how about them be available from very massive sales too?
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

aarmon wrote: Either you make it part of the currency or not. I would be utterly confused as a newbie if i have a coin i cant use for anything else than booths. (And it took me quite some time of playing to discover the magic of booths)
Misunderstood. Im pro.
Last edited by aarmon on Thu Aug 10, 2006 01:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

who the hell buys stuff from booths anyways :D

System that is already working perfectly does not need to be fixed.
aarmon

Post by aarmon »

Thats not a fix thats an update.
dyaros

Post by dyaros »

Why wouldn't be it useful for buying other stuff or using it as a basic currency? It is just not possible to withdraw from banks, that's it. Stacking them to buy stuff from booths is just one idea to use them in...
pyrana
Supporting Member 2008

Post by pyrana »

for buying things like apartments and more rooms where you need wads of cash would make life easier - less coins to hoard in pouches and what not

and I like Misrobo's idea of rolling in it :twisted:
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
- John Ruskin
etadan

Moo

Post by etadan »

Only distantly related, but:
How about blaming artisan smiths for counterfeiting silver and gold coins, devalue platinum and mithril coins to in few steps to 1/100 of their current value(platinum->silver mithril->gold values), introduce iceron and some other alloy coin into the game and...
Or i should just go get some sleep.
dunn

Post by dunn »

I think this would create two different currencies, if you cannot withdraw this coin from bank.
tilamond

Post by tilamond »

Why not just add it as a normal coin? only the diff ofcourse would be its worth be 10K its needed, really.... :twisted:

And, hi all.