Enchant arrows

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Enchant arrows

Post by osma »

Short idea, with much room for improvment (calm down yoz). Enchanted arrows (help spell enchant arrows) says something along the lines that the spell will help if they ever add magic to the arrows. So the idea is this. Add it.

Specificly, how about adding guild specific stuff to arrows. Mages could add their element to the shots (though why they would take levels in archery?), rangers could add sonic or anti-animal stuff (maybe animal lore would help with arrows?), psi could add psycotic drugs, who knows.

This is all off the top of my head, but it would be nice to accualy add something that at one time was supposidly going to be added.
allanon

Post by allanon »

osma wrote:but it would be nice to accualy add something that at one time was supposidly going to be added.
There are hundreds of ideas that were going to be added to Icesus at one time but aren't here yet.

Aren't arrows already fairly "enchantable"? We have...
-Guided aim
-Bows that change the arrow's damagetype
-Ability to apply poison
-"Flammable arrows" that you can light on fire, for fire damage
-More that I don't know about.

Those are some decent effects. With more magic added, rangers would perhaps surpass other backrow shooters as the most useful, being able to add every effect in the book.

(Of course, you could argue that they need those effects, lacking the raw firepower of mages, for example.)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
allanon

Post by allanon »

If you want more to do with arrows and archery, here are some non magical ideas (by no means are these original!). Note, "archer skill" is like "combat maneuver", but it can be used outside of battle too.

a. Barbed arrows. Like the name implies, these are arrows whose heads have been made in a barbed shape, much like a (edit) harpoon. While they deal significantly less damage (thinner and flimsier), they have a great change to cause a Wound on the target. Manufacturing this type of arrows requires a high skill percentage in Fletchery, and of course Barbed arrowheads.

b. Exploding arrows. An alchemist invention, these are larger, hollow arrows that are filled with "bomb vial" potion. Upon impact, they shatter and explode, damaging the target and "adjacent foes" (ie. allied mobs / mobs in the same party as the target). The explosion damages the target more than its allies, and does not deal "piercing" damage. (I have no idea what damagetype bomb vials are.) Being larger and liquid-filled, the arrows are cumbersome and do not fly very well. If you are a poor marksman you may even end up self-detonating them on your party! These arrows require some skill in Fletchery, and Bomb vial(s). They are not compatible with arrowheads.

c. Rusty arrows. These have rusty iron heads on them. They function pretty much the same as a regular arrow, except they have a chance to infect the target with Lockjaw, which has the same effect as "Silence" - the target cannot speak or cast spells. Seeing as rusty iron is hard to find, the arrowheads would be expensive. Also, due to being rusty, the arrows have a high chance of breakage.

d. Point-Blank Shot. A special Archer (Ranger-only?) combat maneuver. It can only be activated if you are in the first row of the party, and it cannot be used to initiate combat. You quickly draw your bow/crossbow and fire directly at your opponent. This shot is a bit more accurate, and inflicts greater damage. However, you can only perform this skill when wielding a bow/crossbow. Since you're in the first row, this means you'd be bludgeoning at the target while activating the skill, which is bad. And archer-rangers don't belong in the first row, either. Perhaps useful for a hit-and-run soloing ranger: shoot - reload -Point Blank Shot - run away.

e. Dual Shot. This would be a new Archer / Ranger mastery. You reload and shoot *two* arrows simultaneously. This only works if you are wielding a bow - not a crossbow. Your accuracy is reduced, and each arrow deals a bit less damage; higher mastery decreases these, and increases the chance of it happening. If you load a bow this way but then fail to shoot the arrows, they remain loaded - another benefit. This Mastery can't occur outside of combat.

f. Precise Aim. Archer skill. You study the target very carefully before shooting, resulting in greatly increased accuracy. The downside is a slower firing rate. This could be useful for those situations in which it is imperative you hit - for example, very useful for a hit-and-run solo ranger.

g. Pinning Shot. Archer skill. This is a shot aimed at the foot or leg. It deals less damage, however if it hits and is successful (effect takes place), target takes longer to flee from combat. If you are already aiming at the foot or leg, that won't improve the accuracy of this skill.

h. "Reckless". A new combat style for archers. It causes you to shoot and reload arrows faster, however you have a greater chance to miss with your shots. It has the same effect when used without a ranged weapon, as well, though it's probably not quite as useful in that case. Note that this only speeds up your standard attacks - it does not cause your combat maneuvers to activate quicker, etc.

i. Marksman's Pride. This is an "on/off skill". While you have it active, for every arrow that hits its mark you regain some ep. However every time an arrow misses you lose 3-7% more ep. Naturally, the amounts improve the higher your skill %. Marksman's Pride has no effect on non-ranged weapon combat, and does not affect "Throwing".
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

UES!11!1!!!!11!1!1!1!!! COOL!1!!

Allthought its again a retarded idea to add zillions more damagetypes to all archers. It has been suggested gazillion times before.

I'd rather see the variations of different arrows coming from arrowheads, not some mumbojumbo enchanted arrows. Enchant arrow spell help should just be changed according that it only makes teh arrows you enchant more durable, its fine as it is at the moment. There are millions of other ways to get more damagetypes to your archery projectiles.

And while we are at it, make arrowhead plans infinite.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

yay

Post by solar »

I'd like to see ranger archers once in a while in eq parties. Usually the archers in them are templars for obvious spellcasting reasons.

Instead of making arrows themselves enchanted/magical/special, how about coding a few nice magical quivers with funky specials into the game. At least I know of none that exist :/

And maybe improve the effects of dex to ranged weapons, damage comes mainly from str, which makes sense, but still...

And give elves some racial bonuses to archery-related skills. Like +10-20% to bowery/fletchery.

Alchemists should be given some alchemical arrow tinkering options as well, if this kind of enchanting ever makes it into the game. So that they'll have some extra stuff to do.

I haven't been an archer for a few years, so my opinions may be a bit outdated.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
osma

Post by osma »

I was thinking in line with more abilities to archery itself, not so much to rangers that use archery. Stuff like army having bows as a grandmaster mastery (with their massive strength to boot), or artisans making sharper arrows, that deal more damage for themselves (althought i guess that is somewhat implemented with quality).

I like the idea of exploding arrows for alchimest (bomb vial arrows), and i aggree with yoz that more arrowhead and infinate plans (or at least very long lasting ones) should be available. Enchanted quivers would be great, such as adding frost, or poison to them (it is a pain to light a fire arrow, then load it from inventory. Might be great to have a "fireproof" quiver that lights fire arrows as you pull and load them.)

Idea for arrowhead would be Needle arrowhead. Would be very narrow, like a bodkin arrow, making it go through armor like butter. But more importantly (to rangers and leatherworkers at least), it would not make big ripping holes in the hide (would work like an instant kill hunt, where you get the notice that "your quick kill makes this skin more valueable".) The downside is obviously that it would deal much less damage, although it would still make good bleeding wounds (a hole in the carotid still bleeds as well as a huge gash).