Necropolis

Share your ideas about the future of the game with other players and wizards.

Moderator: Moderators

osma

Necropolis

Post by osma »

This is a bare bones (no pun intended) zone idea that misrobo said to post here as an idea. Should any Wiz feel an intrest in codeing the said zone (I have no codeing skills), i will be happy to flesh it out (that was an intended pun) for them.

{Excerpt from a recent News Flash in the Gramore Times}

A recent magical explosion was created in the mountains north east of Gramore today, resulting in the death of a number of Earth Priests. The Priests in question were within the ancient bowels of their most sacred of crypts, The True Crypt of the High Priests. During a rite, performed over the oldest of the sarcophagus, at midnight during the center of the Earth Phase, a magical flux caught at the rite, and sent it wildly out of control.

The resulting explosion caused a somewhat stable rift in the fabric of space and time. Although only a few of the Priests have braved the crossing, early reports state that the rift leads into the Neatherplane itself.

The area behind the rift is extreamly chaotic, with no real substance. However, the living mind, which cannot precieve the neather in it's true form, seems to create a semblance of order from the chaos. When traveling in the Neatherplane, the Earth Priests report a city of the dead, filled with skeletons, zombies, bone golems, vampires, and other undead creatures. Although reports are still fragmented and incomplete, one name keeps resurfacing.... The Necropolis.

High points of intrest about zone:

1.With a few exceptions (shopkeepers, minor mobs, important NPC'S), all undead are aggro... except for against Earth Priests {works as a reverse of Grubby Wilder v/ Ranger}

2. An altar is available somewhere in the zone, with direct access to the Neatherplane, allowing a slightly reduced penalty to ress (because The Necropolis is still IN the nether plane). However, since the mobs are all aggro, could be a little intresting being ressurected in a highly dangerous enviroment.

3. Because of the nature of the stable rift to the zone, the rift room will be a waypoint for chronomancer drifting.

4. All mobs are a minimum of Below Average, with most leading upwards of Above average and Somewhat strong. Shopkeepers will likely be Strong and have Golem Bodyguards, made of Bone, Shadow (magic and/or nether damage), Fire, or Poison (glob golem)

5. A number (more then one likely) of Dead Earth Priests (from the crypt, or from the dead Priests that made the rift) who are available to kill... if you can find them. Of course, having earth priest spells thrown at you while a wraith smacks you might be intresting to handle.

6. A "boss". Specificly (as i am going to get on forum) a very large bad ass that will be (vary?) hard to find, very ... intresting, to kill, and who has a number of nasty suprises for anyone stupid enough to fight it. And since we are at it, a "quest" in the city that provides a misc. slot item that prevents a lot of the nasty (well, naster) stuff from affecting you.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

3 letters

L

O

L

where to start with...
I do not think that ANYONE wants to code an area planned by someone else.
Necropolis is maybe the most used idea ever of an undead town/complex whatever shithole.
Atleast how you described it, it seems to be an totally worthless contentless area.
As it is said in helps, if you really wich to participate in developing, wizards are there to help you with coding. Just crab few lessons and start coding. Might take a while, but maybe you'll learn something.

All monster considers change according to YOUR toughness (level etc) above average monster for you is not above average monster for me.

The boss itself sounds like every boss so far.

A very large bad ass that will be hard to find, very ... interesting , to kill and blaahblaah blaah kakakaka. Those features on eqmonster are rather hard to code, and to me it seems that every monster that comes in the game is supposed to be like VERY BADDASS OMG ZOMG suparb MONSTARRRR OF DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

a quest? plz.

All this bashing in a nutshell:

Instead of posting general fucking retarded area ideas here that you know i am going to flame and bash to the deepest depths of hell. Try actually planning the areas quest/monsters etc completely and then asking someone who has knowledge of coding to help you to code it. I bet misrobo just told you that you should post it here because he did not have the interest to code something that is not planned by himself.

No offence (or maybe a bit.) You really should read your posts and take the thumb out of your ass before posting all these superb ideas.
osma

Post by osma »

Yoz, love, what makes you think I have time for codeing. I usualy don't even have time to play. Second, of course you are going to flame it, you probably almost flame your own idea before thinking about it, so i ignore you. Third, If you think that I just typed out bad assed boss without thinking specific details (as well as i can without access to damage/hp/armor/ect specific information) then you really are talking out your ass more then normal. I have many specific details on what would be placed where, locations of minor/medium/strong monsters, how they would react in specific situations, possible eq that they would carry, ideas of how to run the zone, and how strong you generaly would have to be to do so, specifics of how the quest system would work, how the various "bosses" would act and react to diffrent situations, ect. ad nausim. However, do to a little thing called information sharing (before the fact in this case) and another little thing called suprise, I can't POST all the various information that lets you know it is a well thought out idea on a PUBLIC forum.

Should a wiz, or someone who accualy has time to code and is willing to give me credit for the idea, wish to ask for the specifics, i will be happy to send it to them, along with room/mob/eq descriptions when I get around to eventualy writing them.

And no Yoz, although I know you spend so much time on my posts because you are a secret admirer, I can't send the information to you, even if you can code. I want you to be pleasntly supprised when you explore the dungeon and experence that unique feeling of loosing 25% of your life per hit.
yoz
Supporting Member 2009

Post by yoz »

zomg unique feeling of losing 25% hitpoints per hit.
We already have monsters that give us the unique feeling of taking 100% hp out with one hit, lots of them. That would be so unique!

With these examples i really doubt that this shit is never gonna see the daylight :D

And i really really doubt that no one cares to code an area like this which is put up together by you, and your ZOMB OMG ideas. IF you really want this idea in game, you are the man who should do it. Not anyone else. I do not personally care if you do not have time to code, but i do not see why would anyone else have time to code something put up together by someone else.

This idea has absolutely NOTHING unique. NOTHING that makes it worth using the time and effort to sew it together.
i know atleast 2 other muds with a place called necropolis, and they are way more unique than this one.

Few other pointers:
Shopkeepers/bankers in undead city?
Why?

Why would the "conclave" of chronomancers put a beacon in a city that has nothing but hostile undeads?

How would earthpriest hitting you with his wraith be different to any other "monster piles" blockers in game so far?

IF you want the boss to be nasty, maybe use your creativity and invent some really neat specials instead of "zomg, it takes 25% health on one hit"

This is seriously the best i can do trying to be constructive towards shitty ideas like this, without being extremely insulting. (i can say much nastier things than these if i wish to )

Before trying to be the revolutionist of icesus and trying to act like a sparejesus for all those osma fans (like me!) please take some time and learn something from the game itself.

Honestly saying, its good that you are full of ideas, but its just sad that 99,999% of them are pure crap.

From yoz with love!
moraq

Post by moraq »

The fact is wizards like to code what they like to code. This usually excludes other people's area ideas. As it is, this idea is almost completely void.

But, you said that "you can provide room, mob, items etc. descriptions". Basic area coding is nothing more than writing descs if you don't want to do anything extremely fancy, and if you do, there are plenty of helpful people around.

Basically, to create an environment you could write descriptions down in your notepad (room desc, 'look at x' descs, possible sounds etc.) and then copy+paste them into a ready roomcode template.

Consider forwarding your dev-wiz application to the admins in charge and bother solar^D^D^D^D^Dother dev-wizzes at development forums for comments/help etc.
osma

Post by osma »

That reminds me, what the hell is a sparejesus anyhow?
IF you want the boss to be nasty, maybe use your creativity and invent some really neat specials
... intresting, to kill, and who has a number of nasty suprises
a "quest" in the city that provides a misc. slot item that prevents a lot of the nasty (well, naster) stuff from affecting you
I intended it to have "neat" specials. At least 2-3 of them in fact, one of them strong enough that without the misc slot item would be rather difficult to get around. (at least I assume it would be. Haven't had the time to get more then 40 levels, so there is alot of the higher level stuff I haven't seen yet. A point to remember when discussing my posts.)

(In responce to that previous point)
We already have monsters that give us the unique feeling of taking 100% hp out with one hit,
Since monsters that aren't very big deal massive damage to rangers (or at least ME), I assumed that higher level players would have enough base hp to never have to worry about massive hits except for criticals. Thank you for correcting me. Second, I was still aggravated, and was going to put "that unique feeling dying in the first round," but you ARE a highbie, and I assumed that very little could kill you in one-2 hits. Again, thank you for correcting me.
i really really doubt that no one cares to code an area like this which is put up together by you
Then it will not get coded. Oh well. It is not the first story/idea that I have come up with that has not seen the light of day because of circumstances. In the mean time, it might get people thinking. I have noticed that without imput, very little output shows up. Yes, there is always gigo, but I hope to get people thinking. Misrobo mentioned that he is trying to make a program that codes zones easily, as long as they do not require lots of special code. Perhaps if somone sees this, they might think "Well that sucks! I can do better." Which, while not EXACTLY what I was looking for, it still has the same result, more content for people to explore and experence.

P.s: Is there a Dev-wiz help file. Have heard very little about it. If it is just as simple as you make it out to be, then I likely will (desc take little time). In fact, Misrobo said somthing about this and I mentioned that there are simpler zones I can come up with. (And no, they are not WILDLY unique, but then how unique is gypsy anyhow? cross pattern with rooms to each side of the main roads. Simply having an idea that is not present in the game counts as unique in Icesus.)
moraq

Post by moraq »

Yes. Read 'help wizzing' in-game and Thoran's post here.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

MAU! *bitchslap*

Post by solar »

Indeed. Because there are just a few active wizards coding areas to Icesus, we're desperately running out of good ideas due to increasing amount of high-lvl players.

Icesus has a wonderful system called 'ice-dev', where players themselves can personally try to improve the game by submitting volunteer code. What is more, areacoding requires very little coding experience or brains, so even Mora^H^H^H^Hplayers without any real skills can actually code a pretty good area.

When you become a dev-wiz, you will not be alone. Dev-wizards have access to 2 extra forums, 'development' and 'coding', development for ideas and coding for, well... coding. These forums are also very helpful and if you hit a brick wall with something, you can always post your problem there and wait for a few days/weeks/months for an solution. Also the private channel of dev+ will become available to you.

To be accepted as one of the dev wizards, you just need a _good idea_ and willingness to implement it sufficiently well enough.

Areacoding is easier than grinding exp. It's mostly writing the descs, sometimes if you want to add something nice, you'll need to do some extra work.

Remember, even weirdoes have become dev-wizzes. If uberlazy lusmusloths (No, Dracu is a walrus and afaik, not a dev-wiz) can become one, then so can you. :)
Last edited by solar on Mon Sep 04, 2006 21:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
osma

Post by osma »

Thank you.
allanon

Post by allanon »

I think part of the point is that your idea is soo general that it has nothing to recommend itself. Sharing information is fine and all, but you should at least give a teaser of what's to come. Besides, as the project creator, you reserve the right to change things. So even if your superspecial won't get into the area, it at least demonstrates your creativity and that the idea has some potential to it.

I can count at least two other players that have come from being clueless idea-machines to dev-coders...it's really quite easy process, and you can start churning out areas in as little as one week. Sometimes, it'll even get to game, which is nice. Then you can sit back and enjoy as your area gets abused.

However, I must add one thing...time is important. Neither of these two persons have finished their areas, nor are they anywhere even close. It's no use to anyone if you have a wonderful idea, get it half-started in dev, and then let it rot there. You have to be willing to finish things. If you know you don't have the time to code, then I'd almost say don't bother to start. (Moreover, "inactive" coders get "banished".)

PS Count me in as one coder who's willing to code other's ideas. I'm strange like that. In fact I might just go code a Necropolis right now.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
osma

Post by osma »

You have a point. if it dosent get coded, what is the point in a secret, and maybe i can get useful imput.

A few of the ideas I had:

Monsters found in neather plane when dead would be available to kill (or their likeness).

At least 4 earth priest, casting earth priest spells as sub bosses. Each either provides a piece of the quest, or a seprate item so that more then one person in the party can have the misc item.

Serrated Blade (red aura) that deals poison, neather or just extra damage. Serrations so deep that it is a piercing weapon.

Dracolitch that, among other things, causes unconsous effect (like head shots with archery) that affects the whole party. would not effect epriest or thouse equiping the misc slot item.

Altar that allows ressing with lesser exp penelties.

got to go to work, cant finish. But that is the gist of the major stuff.
moraq

Post by moraq »

Furthermore, just a few hints regarding to sending the dev-wizzing application:

It's good to have layout of the area handy. Say, write it on notepad somewhat like this

Code: Select all

|
        1 / 
       / | 
     /   |
   E-----2

E = entrance,
1 = the hall, it has mob x, y and z standing about
2 = forest with secret exits and a three-fingered mongoose named sola... er, well you get the picture
3 = big boss monster in a hut
Iif your area has a "plot", a grand quest of somesort or perhaps an event, it's good to mention these (is the quest available all the time, what do you need to do/know to finish it, is it a bring x to y kind of a quest or something more tricky and it's rewards).

Also it's worth it to think about the placement of different species of monsters around the area. We don't have whales in forests for example... or maybe we do.. hmm^HH^HH ok no we don't.

Finally, think about where your area would be placed on the map. It's of very little use to create an utter-newbie area near graemor/cenedoiss, since it's hard to get there, and midbies to highbies have their regular exp routes, so one tougher blocker mob might cause the area to be abandoned completely expwise.

Then again placing 253567632 above average undeads without specials and resistances around one medium-sized area would not be good idea either.
solar
Supporting Member 2020

MAU! **bitchslap**

Post by solar »

Oh, one more thing: You might want to take a look at what a room object looks like when coding it:
http://www.icesus.org/Developers/code.php

And... I really intend to finish my areas, it's just that during the summer the dev site was either down or the ftp connection f*cked up. :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdd and add_random_excuse();
Internet tough guy

Icesus is not just my life - it's the lack of it.
allanon

Post by allanon »

Heh, now I can tally up three coders, Solar. Thanks!

void bring_out_yer_idlers()
{
object *dev;
*dev = all_inventory(icedev);
foreach(coder in *dev)
{
if(coder -> unfinished_business())
add_to_array("puuh");
else
return;
}
}

Something like that...
Oh, and you have a syntax error. The correct usage is
add_random_excuse(int believability);
where believability is an integer from 0 to 10.

I've already begun coding this Necropolis of yours. It'll probably be a bit different from what you imagined, but I'm sure I can work all your major parts into it without much trouble. The First Quest(TM) is already underway; one mobile and two rooms are ready, as well as the "master object".
Perhaps we should swap plans, to make sure we're not too far off course. Of course, that would require me to get back in game...which I can't do because I'm frozen. :wink:

Keep in mind that I'm doing this for fun, not pdf. I'll leave all the credit to you for ideas. No worries.

Lastly, for submitting an area idea. Be sure to "campaign" for the area. Say why it should be created. What new unique or useful thing does it bring, other than the existance of a new area in itself? Novelty alone will not make an area fly. Well, not usually...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 160 character limit.
zohlor
Supporting Member 2019

Post by zohlor »

Oh boy. Just don't put another mob with a +++++damage hitslot. That way we wouldn't fuck up the alltime skill/spell damages.

And they should be cleared anyway.
You see us comin'
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town